SHSL Danganronpa Topic ~ DR3 Announced

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Got DR;AE?

Yes!
33%
Not yet, but I want to!
22%
Nope.
44%

Total votes: 9

Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Re: SHSL Danganronpa Topic ~ DR English Released, SDR2 This

Post by Bad Player »

With a voice like that, of course Gundam is the "Ultimate Breeder" (hello)
Mono
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Mono »

That pronounciation on Kuzuryuu messed me up. x.x

But I like the voice they gave him. Fits.
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

While I still don't know who Peko is yet (she doesn't talk much and if she's a VA I know she uses a different voice than her usual one for the performance), I can, after having seen the fully voice acted first trial, confirm one thing. Akane Owari is, contradictory to my previous guesses, certainly played by Wendee Lee (voice of Konata Izumi in Lucky Star, Faye Valentine in Cowboy Bebop, Haruhi Suzumiya in her titular series, and of course Athena Cykes in Dual Destinies). It was hard to tell with short clips but full lines definitely show signs of Lee's vocal ticks and sounds an awful lot like Haruhi and Faye at times. So while I'm still unsure of Peko, I can definitely confirm that one. Still no definitive yes or no on Ibuki or Mahiru's roles but nothing has suggested they might be other VAs to me yet so I'm sticking with Taylor and Keranean for my guesses there.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

so voices
Spoiler : Based on impressions of the characters up to Chapter 2: :
Hajime Hinata: Meh. I don't really like JYB as casual Hinata. He'll be fine once we get to the court parts though, I'm sure.

Nagito Komaeda: Well, if you open this spoiler tag, you know it's WAY too early to say at this point. I worship the very ground Bryce Papenbrook walks on, though, so I'm 100% confident he can pull this off.

Byakuya Togami: Yay, Jason Wishnov's back. He's an awesome Togami. Arrogant, annoyed, condescending, he's just... he's Togami. He's a damn good Togami. What else do you want me to say?

Kazuichi Souda: I consider Kyle Hebert to be the gender-swapped version of Wendee Lee or Erin Fitzgerald: An extremely talented VA that is constantly miscast in roles they simply don't work in. That being said, I thought this was going to be another huge mismatch for Kyle, but I was dead wrong, he's great here. Souda is really SHSL Normal teenager at his core (Much like Junpei from P3 was) and Kyle plays the part a lot better than I expected. GD was right, Kyle Hebert is incredibly versatile.

GundHAM Tanaka: His voice actor is BP approved, and that's always a sign of quality. It's deep, threatening, and just perfect for the character. What else can I say?

..Okay, I'll tell you what else I can say. This Chris Treallylonglastname guy is unknown but HE DESERVES MORE ROLES. Guy did a BRILLIANT job with this one, and this is just after one scene.

Mikan Tsumiki: Well... Tsumiki herself gets old really fast (from what I've seen so far, at least, there's clearly more to her character going on) but the VA seems to have nailed it down pretty well.

Ibuki Mioda: Oh, this is another home run. I didn't even need to hear her intro to get that. I'm still a bit bothered by the removal of her third person character quirk because it was a lot of what made Ibuki Ibuki, but everything else about the character is very well translated, and as said, the voice is a perfect fit for her.

Nekomaru Nidai: Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Patrick Seitz and I thought he was a perfect fit for the role, but the intro fell a bit flat... I'm SURE he has it in him to get louder and crazier once a certain aspect of his character is mentioned more, though.

Mahiru Koizumi: Yeah, this one's pretty accurate. There's not really a whole lot to Koizumi's character but she picked up pretty well on what was there, what with the "Aren't you a boy? Act like one!" "Sheesh, boys". "Yeah yeah, whatever." "Hey, what's with you?" Those are really the only four things you have to keep in mind with Koizumi, and it looks like she can do all of them pretty well.

Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu: Don't get me wrong, it's great and all, and fits perfectly with the excessively rude nature of his character... but WHY HASN'T HE DROPPED A F-BOMB YET? MONDO DID IT EIGHT TIMES IN ONE SCENE! :(

NVM THERE IT IS

Akane Owari: Eeeehhhh.... I don't know. It's too 'cheery friendly' like Aoi as opposed to 'lazy one minute, ready to pound you to death the next.' That one thing is why I will never understand the frequent comparisons between Aoi and Owari, by the by. Maybe it'll get better when she starts threatening to beat everyone up? Probably, but we'll see.

Hiyoko Saionji: I'm not really the biggest fan of Rina-chan, simply because a lot of the times her voice is too cutsey for the characters she voices imo. However, she really surprised me as Artemetia, and Saionji's mean streak is going to force some sassiness out of her, and that's definitely going to be fun to watch.

Teruteru Hanamura: I know you guys seem to love Todd as Teruteru but atm he's just not really doing much for me. Maybe once he starts acting pervy and the bigger things with his character happen I'll appreciate him more.

Sonia Nevermind: Seeing as how Sonia's been SHSL Doesn't do anything for two straight chapters it's really hard to say how good of a fit this is. It'll be a big wait and see, and I also want to see how they handle her really difficult character gimmick...

Peko Pekoyama: She has the samurai thing MASTERED. It's PERFECT. It's just PERFECT.

Chiaki Nanami: Well, it sounds bored... that's pretty in character. I'd like to see more from her but I haven't really seen much from Nanami BESIDES being bored so... again, we'll see?
that's all folks

Call me when they make GK3 or PW vs PL2 or DR3 or something, I'll just be lurking until then.

*poof*
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Reverie
Spoken languages: English

Post by Reverie »

Judging by the poll, is it safe to assume that SDR2's last two cases won't dissapoint me by being the exact same case? It annoyed me with Cosmic/Tomorrow, too...
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: SHSL Danganronpa Topic ~ SDR2 English Released

Post by kwando1313 »

SDR2-5 is great. SDR2-6 is... Disappointing.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

I heard the culprit picks this time were less extremely very incredibly obvious.
If that means that there's five good, separate cases with a disappointing one at the end, I can live with that.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Spyromed wrote:I heard the culprit picks this time were less extremely very incredibly obvious.
If that means that there's five good, separate cases with a disappointing one at the end, I can live with that.
Culprits are still pretty obvious to figure out, just not as easy to pick out from the initial line-up. Actually, I think they may have tried a bit too hard in terms of culprit selection this time...
Spoiler : SDR2 :
I mean, every single survivor except Hinata has the rude/tough guy speech style. I mean, if those people were all killers it would've been boring, but I think one more "obvious" killer would've worked.

I'll admit that I think Tsumiki was a fantastic "unexpected killer" choice, though.
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

Jesus Christ I can't quote that or read it until I get and finish the game I can't deal with this tension I'm terrible with spoiler tags why on Earth would you do this to me

Honestly, I thought the culprit picks for the first game were pretty bad. The first two are way too obvious, I liked Celes, but she seemed like someone they wanted us to think did it, suicides are a boring solution to a locked room, and... Eh, I feel like anybody could have been the mastermind, provided they had a twin.
So if it's any improvement on them, then... I guess the survivors don't matter too much. Just so long as someone as bland as Hagakure doesn't survive this time round.
Last edited by Reverie on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Spoiler : Endgame SDR2 :
>mastermind
>improvement

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Spyromed wrote:So if it's any improvement on them, then... I guess the survivors don't matter too much. Just so long as someone as bland as Hagakure doesn't survive this time round.
Hey, I actually liked Hagakure. He was a good comic relief character. Also, if you spend any free time with him before getting the bad ending, it makes it that much funnier.

I do wish some of the other victims/villains had managed to make it out though, or perhaps if there could be alternate endings to where you actually could save almost everybody, if not necessarily all at once in the same playthrough.
Image Image Image
Reverie

m8 i will rek u dun evn start d00d

Post by Reverie »

I think if they made Maizono the first culprit, killing Leon, and Chihiru swap roles with either Hagakure or Mondo, the choices would have been pretty much perfect. Well, a better mastermind and a non-suicide case 4 would be nice, but...
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Got my limited edition DR2 yesterday, still can't play till my new vita comes in. (Goddamit 2k, why you push back release for the Borderlands Vita bundle TT_TT).
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Ami

Post by Ami »

I'm still waiting until I can get the game. I have to wait until I get a ride.
since 2008!
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

So I have no idea why everyone complains about the ending.
Spoiler : SDR, all of it :
Because that's not even half the problem with the game: I was completely okay with the ending. The problem is that this game makes horrible use of it's cast: Let's talk about by far the worst offender of this, Sonia. Sonia is a character that has absolutely no purpose other than to make you think she's the mastermind. And you just... you just CAN'T have this be the only thing about your character. Especially not when she did something as major as leading Saionji to her death and then try to brush it off as a coincidence.

And SPEAKING of Saionji, as unlikable as her character was, she had all sorts of potential as a murder victim or at least SOMETHING to explain why she treated Tsumiki the way she did, ESPECIALLY when Tsumiki killed her. And Ibuki just dies because she HAPPENED to get infected with a virus that made her an easy target...? I get that Junko was Tsumiki's beloved now but it's still just a HORRIBLE way to kill off both characters, especially when one of them was starting to develop and the other had by far one of the more memorable personalities.

Going back to survivors for a minute, Souda had lots of potential for his role as SHSL Normal Teenager in the same vein Junpei from P3 was but they just... don't use it. Which is a shame because I really liked him. And Owari... isn't bad, but the way she's HANDLED is bad. Her character doesn't move one inch after Nidai dies twice: She just mourns him for one case and then just completely forgets about it. Plus they make Minimaru so it's like his death didn't even matter anyway. And it just further drives the point home that I will never understand why people compare Aoi and Owari so much because they're COMPLETELY different characters, and if the way Aoi reacted to Sakura's death and the way Owari reacted to Nidai's death isn't proof of that then I don't know what is. Also Aoi doesn't constantly find reasons to ask people to touch her boobs and she's not obsessed with fighting. Just saying. It's REALLY gonna bother me when people make that comparison now.

Really, the only surviving character that was done well was Kuzu: I could sing Kuzu's praises all day. He turns into from a perfect example of the gangster trope to a complete subversion from it: My favorite example of this is how the way he uses the f-bomb from Chapters 3 onwards are drastically different from the way he uses them in Chapters 1 and 2. There's a billion more but you get the idea: Kuzu was definitely one of the few characters they did right.

All in all, there are a lot of things that I like about the game, and there are a lot of things that I don't. I like how the characters are written, a lot. I like the murder mysteries, a lot. I like Komaeda's entire plan in Chapter 5, a lot. I like everything they do with Komaeda's talent as SHSL Good Luck, a lot. I liked the basic idea behind the plot twist near the end, a lot. I like how Kuzu was handled, a lot.

I hate how nearly every character in the game died extremely unsatisfactory deaths and simply weren't used for anything before they died. In DR1 the only people you could really accuse this of were Leon and Ishi. In DR2 it's half the entire cast. Let's recap. Koizumi, Saionji, Ibuki, and Tsumiki were all handled in very meh ways. I get why Tsumiki did what she did but without any reason to target Ibuki specifically it just completely falls apart. The other three just died before their characters could actually do anything. Sonia is completely pointless and a horrible character for reasons I've already stated. Owari and Souda make terrible use of their potential. Gundam's motive to kill Nidai was just weak. Nidai's death held little meaning in the first place when he just came back as Minimaru again. I like what they did with Peko in C2 but Gumpei sure doesn't. In the end it really says something that Teruteru freaking Hanamura out of all the possible characters got a better exit with the most closure bought to his character than half the cast did.

Even if I did have problems with the ending, that's not even close to the biggest problem with the game. The problem is that despite having a great cast, it makes horrible use of it, and THAT'S the biggest problem with SDR, as opposed to how it ends.

By the way, Chapter Zero was great. It was the most DWaM thing ever that wasn't written by DWaM.
And there you go. I disagreed with you all enough on this that I had to get my thoughts out there in the open again.

That being said, poof~

(feel free to message me on Skype or whatever if you want to discuss anything I just said)
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage