The Bright Age of the Law - Tutorial competition

Get started with the upcoming AAO version 6.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

The Bright Age of the Law - Tutorial competition

Post by Unas »

Tutorial competition
As part of the AAO - The Bright Age of the Law events, I'm happy to announce this new tutorial competition.
Yes you read well : that's not a very usual competition theme, but it's big nevertheless.

Tasks
The Bright Age of the Law is the start of a new era for Ace Attorney Online - a new era which revolves, of course, around the long-awaited V6 editor and player. Such a big change will, at the same time, open up new possibilities and make some people disoriented.

Following the V6 pre-release, you can all be the pioneers of this new era, and help all that will follow.
In other words, your help is needed in creating full tutorials to help members get started with the V6 apps.
This is the opportunity for you to make a highly appreciated contribution to AAO.

This "user manual" can be of any shape : a forum post, a web page, a set of videos... Just imagine the most efficient and appealing way of getting new members to dive in the V6 editor.

Rewards
Because it's a unique event for AAO, The Bright Age of the Law brings some specific rewards.

1st prize :
  • 1 "AAO - The Bright Age of the Law" collector mug :
  • Custom forum title : "AAO6 pioneer"
  • Tutorial highlighted, so that new members find it easily
  • Author credited on the AAO credits page
Runner-ups :
  • Author will be credited on the AAO credits page
Conditions
  • The author must have created a topic for his tutorial (with the contents or a link to the contents) in this section before August 29th, 2014.
  • The tutorial must not assume that the new user has any formal knowledge of AAO. It must start from the basics, like a user manual.
    It can, however, include specific tips for veteran V5 users, if it helps them understand faster.
  • The tutorial must present all basic notions to create an AA-style case.
  • The tutorial should present some of the new features of V6.
Deadline
All entries must be declared and completed by Sunday September 14th, 23:59 CEST.

Please join and make an important contribution to the AAO community !
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: The Bright Age of the Law - Tutorial competition

Post by Enthalpy »

For clarification, how comprehensive do these tutorials need to be? You said that tutorials should "present all basic notions to create an AA-style case," but that is a lot of material. Explaining every single feature of the v6 editor would be a massive undertaking. Just making investigations, psyche-locks, and cross-examinations are probably worth of their own tutorials, but tutorials on how to do them well would make it even longer. We don't even have a tutorial on good mystery design yet!

Elaboration on what entries should include would be greatly appreciated.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Well, first if it's not clear it's meant to be tutorials focused concretely on how to use the editor. Basically a user manual for V6, except that it could be in any form.

"Good mystery design", as you suggest, is a very general aspect of story telling - this wouldn't help a user get started with V6.

As for what level of details, I'd say as much as you're comfortable with, and you think will really be useful for authors. That's kind of the idea of having this in parallel with the competition : competition trial authors will have some experience as to what info is useful for a beginner, and what's more advanced.

For example, of course presenting CEs and investigations at least superficially is necessary, since that's the first thing a new member would want to do.
Presenting how to manage characters displayed on a frame is necessary as well - but I leave it up to you to decide whether you want to document in details all options or just mention the most useful settings.

Is it a little bit clearer ? :-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

User manual for v6 is much clearer, thank you.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

First Tutorial for v6: The Updated Cross Examination Guide

I will need someone to create a technical guide on getting started, meaning what each part of the Editor is and whatnot.
1230james
Spoken languages: English

Post by 1230james »

Work in progress stuff. Links go nowhere significant yet, so don't bother clicking.
ImageImage
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Thank you guys, this is going to be a great help for users ! :-)

However, james, your tutorial is not a valid entry for the competition; your tutorial focuses on a very specific problem, while I expect a more general getting started guide or user manual, something covering all basic aspects of case creation in AAO6.
That's why you have more than 3 months until the deadline, there is a lot to cover indeed :D

drvonkitty, your entry is accepted; feel free to complete it over the next few months though - CEs and investigations are important things that I think should be covered ;-)
ImageImageImage
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

I'll probably add in CEs and investigations when I get a chance to - I've got a lot of time on my hands for the next week or so, so it probably won't be long.
EDIT: Just added in investigations, CEs are coming soon :)

E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

1230james

Post by 1230james »

Unas wrote:Thank you guys, this is going to be a great help for users ! :-)

However, james, your tutorial is not a valid entry for the competition; your tutorial focuses on a very specific problem, while I expect a more general getting started guide or user manual, something covering all basic aspects of case creation in AAO6.
That's why you have more than 3 months until the deadline, there is a lot to cover indeed :D
Aww. :gumshoe:

Oh well, I figured something like this would happen. (It seems to happen to me with my school projects too... :sideglance2:)

Good thing I have a back-up! :D
...I forgot what it was though.... :tigre:
Work in progress stuff. Links go nowhere significant yet, so don't bother clicking.
ImageImage
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Finished my tutorial! It now has all five sections complete :D

E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I don't know if this tutorial technically qualifies, but I had to update it in preparation of v6. I say it does because it's about getting started on the whole process of making a game in v6 in general. You want to have new users be able to go about making a game the right way, right? AAO's Truly Comprehensive Guide for New Authors.
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

I don't see why yours wouldn't qualify... it doesn't say it has to be a tutorial on how to USE the editor, just on how to make an AA-style case, with some cool v6 things thrown in there. As long as yours does that (which I'm pretty sure it does), I think it should qualify. But Unas has the final say, so...

Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Well, originally I was thinking more of a user guide, but I didn't specifically say it in the competition rules, so... :-P
And I think your tutorial is also something important, so I'll gladly accept it as an entry :-)

By the way, I'm going to add a delay for this competition : I originally intended it to end some time after the case competition (to give me time to focus on the trials, before coming back to this one), and the multiple delays requested on the case competition have kind of changed the planning xD

Anyway, consider that this competition still runs until Sunday September 14th, 23:59 CEST.
That will enable you to work on small details (to perfect the formatting), and may allow for some of the authors that worked in the competition to enter !
ImageImageImage