Too many login attemps RECAPTCHA.

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Mosy
Spoken languages: English

Too many login attemps RECAPTCHA.

Post by Mosy »

Can't login because RECAPTCHA would never ever show regarding what browser I use :/. This is have been a problem for a very long time (for also other users I've heard) and I've been locked out of my account for what seems forever, I've heard that Unas has been hiding in the shadows, is everything alright with him I hope?
other than that, thank you for this amazing site, I'm still waiting for the day I get to login again XD. :nod:
Live life as you enjoy it, pal!- :objection:
I guess not...
Suidyed

Re: Too many login attemps RECAPTCHA.

Post by Suidyed »

Same here, just made this account to post on the forums. You can't change your password either, since it just takes you to a 404. I also emailed the moderators and never heard back. We might just have to resign ourselves to losing whatever we had on our accounts, unfortunately.
:objection: "I would like to cross-examine the witness's pet parrot!"
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Hi,

Two points :
  • The Recaptcha has changed since the last forum update.
    In most cases, it's not supposed to ask you to input text anymore, as it uses some kind of AI to analyse your behaviour and identify you as human : you should just see the recaptcha icon Image in the bottom right of your screen, informing you that you are validated. And normally, if that's the case, then you should be able to proceed.
    What happens in your case exactly ?
  • Unfortunately, since the last server move, I had trouble restoring the emailing function for the forums, spent a few days trying to make it work, then took a break, and forgot about it. For this reason, the forums currently can't send emails, and therefore the password recovery function (which is supposed to send you an email) cannot work.
    Unfortunately, I don't expect I'll have time to work on this again before a while.
    If you need to recover a password, contact me (unas.zole+AAO@gmail.com), with the name of your account, and some information to prove you actually are the owner (ie send the mail with the email address that you used to register originally), and I'll see what I can do !
  • What is this about a 404 error ? Where exactly ?
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Clicking on "I forgot my password" leads to the 404 error.

Unrelated, but trying to submit a report leads to a 404 as well. In both cases, the URL has "app.php" appear twice, when it probably shouldn't.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

You mean when you click the "I forgot my password" link, or when you click the Submit button on the following page ?

I just tested, and the "I forgot my password" link lands me on the correct Reset password page. However, indeed, clicking submit loads a malformed URL, I'll have to check that... That's a weird bug in phpBB, maybe related to some misconfiguration on server side.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Mosy

Post by Mosy »

Thank you for the reply, Mr. Unas! nice to see you.
Yes, I'm still locked out, and the REcaptcha icon does show in the right bottom corner, but I would still be locked out nonetheless. when i click login again nothing happens and the "complete recaptcha to enter your account" message would repeat.
Hopefully we'll all be able to get back in somehow!
thank you!
Live life as you enjoy it, pal!- :objection:
I guess not...
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I'm a little confused. When you say that you're "locked out," do you mean you've forgotten your password, or that you know your password, but because you're seeing the "too many login attempts" message, the site won't let you log in even with a correct password?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Note regarding the 404 error when submitting the "forgot my password" form.

I have investigated the issue today, and found that it is, indeed, a bug with the phpBB software, specific to some of the settings we are using here.
I have opened a bug report with a proposed fix today : https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-16722
Depending on how long it takes to be fixed, delivered and released in phpBB, I may apply the fix directly on the AAO in the meantime. I'll decide in a few days.
ImageImageImage
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

The 404 error when submitting the "forgot my password" form is now fixed.
With the recent enabling of forum emails, the biggest blocking issues for account recovery are now behind us.

This leaves the Recaptcha issues though... Are people still having problems with it ?
ImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I haven't noticed anything, but I'll try to gather some more reports.