[P] loading_images bar no longer appearing, cannot start any trial.

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

versiondefiant
Spoken languages: English,French and Portuguese

[P] loading_images bar no longer appearing, cannot start any trial.

Post by versiondefiant »

User Agent String: Windows 10

Link: Image

What happened?: When opening the link to a trial, Two Towers I think, the loading_images bar did not pop up, and the trial got stuck loading after the loading_sounds bar finished. When I tried to open any other trial, the same occurred. This happened yesterday and the problem still persists.

What did you expect to happen?: I expected the trial to load completely.

Can you reproduce the problem?: Yes, by opening any trial.

What did you do before the problem showed up?: I was playing another trial literally 10 or 20 minutes before and it worked fine. I think it was called the Christmas Turnabout. I have since tried restarting my PC, clearing my cache, and even trying in another device(My phone) The problem still persists.
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Re: [P] loading_images bar no longer appearing, cannot start any trial.

Post by ThePaSch »

This is a known issue - one which only recently come to Enthalpy's and my attention - that I strongly suspect to be a consequence of our recent change to how AAO handles and plays audio.

The issue seems to appear in trials that have music or audio tracks with a defined volume of over 100. Our old audio library managed values like this fine, but the new one expects a percentage from 0 to 100 and will (intentionally) break when supplied with a value out of these bounds - this, unfortunately, slipped through the cracks, since neither of us thought about trying values like that during our testing.

The good news is that it should be a trivial fix, which is great, since this is a high-priority bug. Can't say exactly when this will be fixed (and pushed), but it shouldn't take long.
versiondefiant
Spoken languages: English,French and Portuguese

Post by versiondefiant »

Thanks. Now that you mentioned it, I tried playing more recent things and they work fine. I guess I'll stick to that for the moment.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Update: We have the bug fixed on developer AAO. The issue should be gone in the next AAO update.

However, volumes above 100 will be limited to volumes of 100. (This is an inherent limitation of HTML5, which we're using now that Flash went the way of the dinosaur it was.) This was done invisibly before the update and will be done during volume validation after the update.

Stay tuned!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

I've just updated the website with the fix provided by Enthalpy, and the trial seems to be running fine.
Let us know if this fixes the issue for you as well !
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )