[T] Turnabout Underworld (Jam Entry)

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

bigwins
Spoken languages: English

[T] Turnabout Underworld (Jam Entry)

Post by bigwins »

Turnabout Underworld

(which i figured i should make a thread about here)

This is my first case, made in a month for the Search For The Truth game jam.

Won the prestigious title of "probably lazyplague's favorite" in said jam.

It began as a mystery-writing test, and developed into something bizarrely different.

lazyplague's description:

"If you’re looking for a wild ride, this one is definitely what you’re looking for. It teeters on the edge of absolutely absurd, and strangely melancholy. If you’re looking for a typical AA case, this probably isn’t for you, and I don’t think you’ll enjoy it AS a typical AA case. It borrows some from ZE, DR, etc. It all blends in together nicely. It’s finished, although bigwins wants to polish it up more. It's a few hours long, so be ready to take breaks, or do it in one long session.

Basic Premise: Set after the events of DD, Apollo takes on a locked room mystery, where Plum Kitaki is suspected of murdering the head of the Cadaverini family. However, there’s a lot more to this case that meets the eye, and it goes places that no one could possibly expect it."

I updated the ending of the case since the jam, and it feels a bit more complete now. While it's stable, there are a few issues regarding timing of frames and animation I still plan to fix.

Credits: Uses sprites made by Hessehldahl (Co-counsel, other), DarwinThe100 (Witness), FenrirDarkWolf (Witness) and me,
and several popups and pieces of art by TheDoctor.

Play it here:

http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=103891

Screenshots:
Spoiler : :
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Edit: Soundtrack list (maybe spoilers?):
Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies:
Intro
Courtroom Lobby
Reminiscence (both)
Suspicious People
Jingle
Trial
Suspense
Logic Trinity
CE Moderato
CE Allegro
Dark Days of the Law
Pressing Pursuit
Apollo Justice - Objection 2013
The Gavinners - Twilight Gig

Ace Attorney - Spirit Of Justice:
Confess the Truth 2016

Zero Escape: 999:
Digital Root
Tranquility
Septenary Game
Senary Game
Ternary Game
Quaternary Game
Imaginary
Binary Game
Chill and Rigor
Quietus
9years

Danganronpa:
Trial Underground
Discussion: Mix (Edge Version)
Welcome Despair School
Climax Reasoning
All All Apologies
New World Order
Goodbye Despair School
M.T.B.
Super M.T.B.
Super Final M.T.B
Last edited by bigwins on Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sleuth

Re: [T] Turnabout Underworld (Jam Entry)

Post by Sleuth »

oh dang im gonna have to play this now
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Well, I just finished up this case and let me tell you, it blew me away. Great job, dude, especially for your first case. Also, could you post a soundtrack list?
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Definitely gonna add this to my list of things to play. Looks intriguing, and impressive (based on the screens, anyway) for your first ever case. I'll write up some thoughts (and maybe a SoC) whenever I get a chance to play it.

Esrom

Post by Esrom »

I'm afraid I found a glitch in this one.

The whole 'alternating between testimonies' thing is an interesting idea, however, we run into a problem at a certain point.
Okay, so I do Plum's testimony, and press her to get the evidence. I then switch to the Judge's testimony, and present the evidence there, leading to the second Judge testimony. Being stuck on the Judge's testimony and not knowing what to do, I go back to Plum's testimony. I get stuck there, so I decide to switch back to the Judge's second testimony ... only to get 'The End' and an abrupt ending to the trial.
What I've seen so far seems interesting, and it sounds like good stuff is ahead. But we really need to get rid of sudden endings that occur due to glitches or oversights so that more people will get to the really exciting parts.
bigwins

Post by bigwins »

Fixed, thank you for pointing that one out.

I took another look through and that's the last "redirect to frame 0" problem in there, but I admit, I didn't test the first fourth of the trial too strongly due to the jam deadline. It's currently completely stable, as best as I can tell.
chrissyjh

Post by chrissyjh »

Hey, i'm stuck at Judge's Bros first testimony. I've tried bout everything (including pressing and adding additional statements. Can I have some help here?
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise »

Wow, what a case.
Spoiler : Thoughts on the Entire Case :
The true killer not only was completely surprising, but also made sense which is hard to do with murderers in a position like him. You did a good job unsettling me with his characterization and sprites. It's strange to see a judge laugh and move like him, especially with the blackout scene where his eyes turn black and during the blackout when he starts shaking. Seriously, what was up with that?

That goes for all the witnesses, really; They all remained true to their canon personalities while providing a good reason why they might've actually assisted Sunday. While it's strange to see Meekins acting as an accomplice, I got the idea it was out of incompetence and not malice. I did feel bad seeing him turn himself in.

The testimonies were fair, but still challenging. The only one I got stuck at was the Judge's where he talks about the glove marks; he shoots down the idea of the gloves but despite that Apollo asks for the statement to be added and to continue you had to present the gloves. I think it's only because I didn't realize I can check for details on the glove marks. I liked the Pressure Battle sequences and the thought route, which were good puzzles to bridge us to accusing Sunday.
It was really well made and challenging, I can see why it was the favorite at the jam!
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

@chrissyjh
Present the fingerprint powder on the statement about the judge’s beard color.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Spoiler : bug :
After Meekins left I presented the file of previous Sunday's murder to deduce that Sunday contacts people with control over the crime scene. The obvious witness to call here was Olga, but she was rejected. After failed brutal force through it, I checked the editor and I confirmed that while Olga is the answer, you set the answer in the action itself to be None instead of her.
chrissyjh

Post by chrissyjh »

@DJ
Uhm... What about the "Why I'm not Sunday" Testimony? I met that one.
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

chrissyjh wrote:@DJ
Uhm... What about the "Why I'm not Sunday" Testimony? I met that one.
Oh that one.
Present Winfred Kitaki’s case file on the statement talking about Sunday possibly being a member of law enforcement.
bigwins

Post by bigwins »

Agh, I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure the issue is that since I made two different "suggest a witness" prompts, one for evidence-then-witness, and the other being the reverse order, I must have made the latter allow the right answer and forgotten the other.

Fixed. I'm really sorry, everyone, this lack of testing doesn't belong in a finished case.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Spoiler : another bug ;P :
You accidentally merged "It's the case file detailing the murder of Winfred Kitaki, Your Honor." frame with "The investigation determined that Sunday had paid off a few Kitaki underlings to let him move freely."

And now presenting Olga in same situation causes game over ;p
Edit: I looked for the cause
The answer redirects to a frame with a number that doesn't exist, it should end with 1 instead of 0
bigwins

Post by bigwins »

Jeez, you right, thanks. Fixed. You can tell as it's my first case that I was learning the editor as I went along, and it's pretty buggy as a result.

Sorry for making you and everyone playtest my case, lol