[T] AA: Pressing For Justice ●○○○ (Case One Complete!)

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

PatBrownGame
Spoken languages: English

[T] AA: Pressing For Justice ●○○○ (Case One Complete!)

Post by PatBrownGame »

Note: Play in Firefox

I understand as a new trial maker, making a entirely new series will be a daunting task. But I'm determined!

(And full of grammer errors that I will correct overtime I promise)

I present to you all: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney: Pressing For Justice.

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney: Pressing For Justice takes place after Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney in a setting where Phoenix gets his badge back, Apollo is doing well for himself, however Athena Cykes does not show up at the agency in this alternative timeline.

Even still, Apollo will still go on the same lawyer adventures we all know and love!

Expect spoilers from all of the main games (except for DD And SOJ), and minor spoilers from Ace Attorney Investigations 1 and 2.

Case 1
Spoiler : Savior of the Turnabout :

Click Here To Play!

Two years after the events of Turnabout Succession, and Apollo has been short on cases... That is, until Trucy asks him to defend a friend of hers last minute. And just his luck, it's a murder trial, that took place in the courthouse!

But as Apollo learns more as the trial progresses, there seems to be more than meets the eye: A shifty witness, the prosecution's behavior, and an incident which was the foundation of all of these events...
Spoiler : Credits: May Contain Spoilers :
Sprite Credits:
Apollo Extra Poses: Sligneris, mariofan5000, SuperAJ3
Phoenix Wright DD Sprites: Hesseldahl
Trucy Extra Poses: Tap, FenrirDarkWolf
Klavier Extra Poses: gavinnersroadie
Miles Edgeworth DD Sprites: Lind, Hesseldahl (Court Overview)
Extra Ema Sprites: Sligneris, Hesseldahl
James Russel and Katie Richards: Greeny
Justin Luther: LunchPolice
Martin Fernando: DragonTrainer
Ethan Nicholson: FenrirDarkWolf
Thomas Peterson: Lind
Joseph Carpenter's Profile Pic: FenrirDarkWolf
Logan Clarkson's Profile Pic: Lind

Other Graphics:
Thought Route: TheDoctor
Crime Scene Photo/Peterson's House: Greeny
Ethan's Dorm Room: Lind

Custom Music:
Opening Music/Final Confession 1 - Shades of our Past: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxAC3LA7bEY
James' Theme - Eleventh Hour: Oneshot OST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVX8bdYCAUo
HR-2 Incident: Dark Beginnings - Lucks I: Meta Runner OST: https://youtu.be/oYPck-AaI4U?list=OLAK5 ... I09GK1OntE
Confession - Remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5lPM_bBxw8
Reminiscense: Neverending Nightmare - Light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya9Bagd1LkQ
Is This The End? - Negative View: Spiderman PS4 OST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4xzBf8aks8
Bad Ending/Final Confession 2 - No Hope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ICQrU63g2k
The Man Who Directs The Show/The Goliath - The Devil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGIu6-WtwEs
Thomas Peterson: Our World's A Stage - Lucks II: Meta Runner OST: https://youtu.be/_817NPJZzWk
Turning The Tide - Ragnarök: https://youtu.be/a6WpnHM2kJw
Credits Theme - Iris: You're Better Off: https://youtu.be/8qLYikYf-XM
Spoiler : Case 1 Walkthrough :
Testimony 1: Overview of the Crime

Press all statements

Testimony 2: Witness Account

Press Statement 3
Select "Yellow"
Present Ema Skye's Profile

Press Statement 2, then Press Statement 5
Present Joseph's Autopsy Report

Testimony 3: Discovery of the body

Press all statements

Present either the Masonry Chisel or the Letter to Carpenter
Select "Fingerprints"
Present James Russel's profile

Testimony 4: My Actions

Press Statement 4
Press Harder
Select "The Court Lobby Door Was Open"
Present Crime Scene Photo on newly added statement

Testimony 5: Finding His Body

Press Statement 3
Select "VERY Important!"
Present Joseph's Autopsy Report on newly added statement

Select "You tampered with the crime scene"
Present Pistol
Present Crime Scene Photo

-Convince the Judge to keep the trial going!-
Four pieces of evidence will change his mind.
Present Pistol
Select "I even picked up the gun to see if it was really mine..."
Select "There was a third person"
Select "I don't have a suspect"

Present James Russel's Profile
Select "Have Someone Find The Crime Scene"
Select "Improvised"
Present Pistol

Present Missing Yellow Envelope
Present Crime Scene Photo
Point To The Box

Present Anonymous Tip
Select "They saw the burn mark"
Present Letter to Carpenter

Present Second Letter to Carpenter
Select "You were threatened to throw the case"

Testimony 6: Your Foolish Assumption

Present Clarkson's Employee List on Statement 6

Present Logan Clarkson's Profile or Clarkson's Employee List
Select "How Do You Know Peterson Is The Killer?"
Present Ema Skye's Profile

Testimony 7: The Rat's Crime

Optional: Present Justin Luther's Profile on Statement 1

Go to Co-Council Conversation to unlock the ability to solve these next contradictions

Press Statement 6
Select "Yes"
Select "Statement 5"

Press Statement 7
Select "Yes"
Select "Statement 5"
Present Pistol

Select "Why wipe the blood away?"

Testimony 8: The Rat's Crime Pt. 2

Present James Russel's Profile or Crime Scene Photo on Statement 4
Present Wooden Box

Present Anonymous Tip
Present Thomas Peterson's Profile
Select "The Anonymous Tip"

Present Masonry Chisel
Present Pistol
Present Carpenter's Plan
Select "No"
Present Second Letter to Carpenter
Present Threatening Letter (Optional, there's no penalty if you get this wrong)

Present HR-2 Case File
Select "Page 6"

Select "Yes"
Select "He Had An Accomplice"
Present Justin Luther's Profile
Select "During A Recess"
Select "The Crime Scene"
Present Court Lobby Renovations
Present HR-2 Trial Transcript
Present Joseph Carpenter's Profile

Present HR-2 Trial Transcript
Present HR-2 Crime Photo
Point at either the bottle or spilled glass

Testimony 9: Clarkson's Final Act

Press Statement 4
Select "You Bet There Is!"
Present Pistol

Press Statement 7
Select "Yes there is"
Present HR-2 Case File

Press Statement 2
Press Statement 6
Select "What Other Security Systems Are There?"
Press Statement 6 Again
Select "What Powers The Security Systems?"
Press Statement 10
Select "PRESS HARDER"
Present HR-2 Case File
Case 2
Spoiler : The Spider's Turnabout :
A month has passed since the events of Savior of the Turnabout, and Apollo soon finds himself entangled in yet another case. A wealthy politician is murdered in his own home, and a suspect is arrested rather quickly.

But Apollo isn't convinced that he's the killer, so he takes his case. However, the case is stacked against him, with seemingly more evidence of the suspect's guilt than anyone else's...

There's also an ominous feeling of a force, manipulating the events from behind the scenes...
Case 3
Spoiler : Turnabout into Darkness :
A murder is committed at the prison, but Apollo is soon roped in when he finds out who exactly the victim was... The suspect also sadly seems to have lost his memory of the event, quite the pickle. But Apollo is determined to find out the truth of the case, but can he truly handle it when he finds it?
Case 4
Spoiler : Turnabout of the Goliath :
After the painful events of Turnabout into Darkness, Apollo's bad luck seems to continue as a close friend of the agency is murdered. And the suspect? Another person dear to Apollo's heart. What could get any worse? The case is seemingly hopeless and the suspect is confessing their guilt.

But Apollo doesn't believe that his client is guilty, and plans to fight to the bitter end to prove it. But as he digs deeper, he soon learns that every case he's taken beforehand all seem connected to this one. And that everyone and everything he cares for is on the line. It's time to end the suffering these incidents have caused, once and for all.

There's just one simple question that Apollo must answer.

Who or what is the "Goliath?"

If anybody is willing to help out at all during this project, feel free to let me know! All help and feedback (positive and negative) is appreciated! :pearlhappy: :pearlhappy:
Last edited by PatBrownGame on Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
ForTheLoveOfGodot

Re: [T] AA: Pressing For Justice ●○○○ (Case One Complete!)

Post by ForTheLoveOfGodot »

Currently playing this, and I'm enjoying it so far, but I seem to be stuck at a certain point.
Spoiler : :
In the section where Apollo notes there are unanswered questions after James has confessed to tampering with the scene, I have found 3 valid evidence: James's profile, the missing yellow letter (which is then found), and the gun. I've tried all the other evidence, and presented everyone at the culprit selection part gotten after presenting the gun, but nothing lets me advance. What do I do?
PatBrownGame

Post by PatBrownGame »

ForTheLoveOfGodot wrote:Currently playing this, and I'm enjoying it so far, but I seem to be stuck at a certain point.
In the section where Apollo notes there are unanswered questions after James has confessed to tampering with the scene, I have found 3 valid evidence: James's profile, the missing yellow letter (which is then found), and the gun. I've tried all the other evidence, and presented everyone at the culprit selection part gotten after presenting the gun, but nothing lets me advance. What do I do?
This reminds me to post a walkthrough later, but to answer your question:
The Final Piece of evidence to advance would be presenting the anonymous tip when Apollo says there are unanswered questions still remaining, if that doesn't work I'll try to fix it in the editor.
Glad you're enjoying it so far!
bisball
Spoken languages: Français ; Anglais (partiel)

Post by bisball »

I'm nearly at the end, and I must say that's very enjoyable to play :D ! I wouldn't expect a trial that big for the beggining of a series of multiple trials !

But unfortunately, there are 2 game-breaking testimonies in the game : the latter preventing me to finish the trial.
In the 2nd testimony (the one of Justin Luther), we have to find 2 contradictions, if we find one, the testimony is over, and since the first contradiction give us an evidence (the "Missing Yellow Envelope") we have to specificaly find this one to continue.

In the 3rd testimony (the one of Martin Fernando), we have to press anything to get the "Anonymous Tip" and the updated "Court Lobby Renovations". Problem, pressing any statement will end the testimony, since there 2 evidences to get, the trial is unwinable : the "Anonymous Tip" (the one I have taken) is used multiple time while the updated "Court Lobby Renovations" have to be used nearly at the end, when you have to prove why Justin Luther would have given the murder weapon in the room, (I have presented every other evidence and nothing work, so I suppose it's this one).

Since it's at the end I think it would be good to (temporary) permit the use of the old "Court Lobby Renovations" since playing the trial from the beggining is quite tedious.
Good luck for your others trials !
PatBrownGame

Post by PatBrownGame »

bisball wrote:I'm nearly at the end, and I must say that's very enjoyable to play :D ! I wouldn't expect a trial that big for the beggining of a series of multiple trials !

But unfortunately, there are 2 game-breaking testimonies in the game : the latter preventing me to finish the trial.
In the 2nd testimony (the one of Justin Luther), we have to find 2 contradictions, if we find one, the testimony is over, and since the first contradiction give us an evidence (the "Missing Yellow Envelope") we have to specificaly find this one to continue.

In the 3rd testimony (the one of Martin Fernando), we have to press anything to get the "Anonymous Tip" and the updated "Court Lobby Renovations". Problem, pressing any statement will end the testimony, since there 2 evidences to get, the trial is unwinable : the "Anonymous Tip" (the one I have taken) is used multiple time while the updated "Court Lobby Renovations" have to be used nearly at the end, when you have to prove why Justin Luther would have given the murder weapon in the room, (I have presented every other evidence and nothing work, so I suppose it's this one).

Since it's at the end I think it would be good to (temporary) permit the use of the old "Court Lobby Renovations" since playing the trial from the beggining is quite tedious.
Good luck for your others trials !

Oh geez, I thought I fixed that, but I guess some things can get the better of us! Should be fixed now, thanks for bringing this to my attention!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I'm going to give this a playthrough!

As a word of advice, it helps if you include a link to your case in the first post. I can't find a link anywhere.

EDIT: Also, it looks like there are some broken effects. In particular,
https:/dl.dropbox.com/s/zz9p1lee98u0o56/UEqzD1g.png should be https://dl.dropbox.com/s/zz9p1lee98u0o56/UEqzD1g.png

Note the number of slashes.
I'll let you know if I find others.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
PatBrownGame

Post by PatBrownGame »

Thanks for catching that! Should be fixed! About the link, I believe I put it within the case 1 sypnosis but I can definitely make it easier to find!

Hope you have fun!
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Well, I see the link now. I guess I went blind temporarily?

Next link I have a problem with is
blob:https://imgur.com/3b6352cf-7894-4b14-bfea-840d20351fc7 It looks like this is the background object on place ID 20. Thanks.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
PatBrownGame

Post by PatBrownGame »

Think links should be all good now!
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Yep, my script ran successfully, so it looks like the links are all good! Thanks a bunch! I'll write up a review when I'm done with the case. Given the frame count, this may take me a while.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I gave this case a play last night. I realized after thinking about what I wanted to say this morning that I had been confused about a major plot point. Specifically,
Spoiler : Major Spoilers :
I had been thinking that what Peterson had done to Richards and the defendant was his normal means of operation. It struck me as too far-fetched that he could blackmail several people in several businesses into doing that sort of thing, yet somehow without being caught. I only realized this morning that while his business treatment was cruel, his treatment of those two was special due to Goliath, and that the behavior he showed in most other cases was far less incriminating.
With that in mind, I'll want to go through the case again before I give a review. That (mistaken) point was in my mind for so much of the case that I had a hard time seeing anything else.

I can say now that I'm impressed overall and recommend that people give this a play!
PatBrownGame

Post by PatBrownGame »

Enthalpy wrote:I gave this case a play last night. I realized after thinking about what I wanted to say this morning that I had been confused about a major plot point. Specifically,
Spoiler : Major Spoilers :
I had been thinking that what Peterson had done to Richards and the defendant was his normal means of operation. It struck me as too far-fetched that he could blackmail several people in several businesses into doing that sort of thing, yet somehow without being caught. I only realized this morning that while his business treatment was cruel, his treatment of those two was special due to Goliath, and that the behavior he showed in most other cases was far less incriminating.
With that in mind, I'll want to go through the case again before I give a review. That (mistaken) point was in my mind for so much of the case that I had a hard time seeing anything else.

I can say now that I'm impressed overall and recommend that people give this a play!
Super happy that you enjoyed it!
hatterene

Post by hatterene »

Hi, I just logged in just to say that I enjoyed this and am looking forward to the rest of your game. You put a lot of work into it, and I was gripped the whole while (especially the backstory and even just what the prosecution was doing behind the scenes). I really love the alternative endings you provided as well and tried to get as many as I could. If I were to make some critique, perhaps the choices in contradictions should have a little more variety--there were many times where I had the same idea, but an evidence related didn't count as the "right" one (I know AA games are notorious for this, but sometimes it does be fairer).
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Thanks for your patience!

This case reminds me a lot of the second case I made as an author. It avoids a lot of the traps that new authors run into, it executes presentation very well, it has ambitious ideas, and the effort that went into this astounds me. However, the execution on those ambitious ideas isn't quite right, so the case doesn't deliver up to its full potential.

I will have more words to say about the bad because I think that as an author, you have a lot of potential, and working through the bad is the best way to get a case I can say I liked wholeheartedly. But first, let's talk about the good, because there are some very good things that deserve to be pointed out! I stand by that this case deserves much more attention than it has gotten to date.

First, I'd like to acknowledge the effort that went into the custom graphics. The chisel edit isn't trivial, and small details like changing the color of the various documents help to keep them straight. The edits to the crime scene also work very well. I can say from experience that was harder than it looked. I've always struggled with getting blood stains right and have a lot of respect for the edits.

You have down the basic idea of contradictions, which a lot of new authors struggle with: contradictions exist for a reason, and finding that reason drives the case forward, even if it takes a while for the true significance of the cross-examination to be found. I'm aware that the idea is not too complicated, but it's surprisingly easy to overlook, and I'm glad to see that you didn't fall into that.

The characters have distinct enough voices that I have a hard time mixing up their lines. Your defendant, Russel, doesn't sound like the detective, who doesn't sound like Justin Luther. Even better, the characters have their own motivations which affects their behavior. Luther is ashamed of himself for complying with Peterson, which causes him to be withdrawn until Apollo forces him to a fight. Russel is unusually uninvested in his own trial, which starts making much more sense when we realize that he's had death looming for a while now. I tend to focus on character second and case logic elements first, so I can't say that much here, but it still did the case many favors.

Two loosely related notes. One, the dialogue is mostly natural. (I feel it becomes less so when Peterson is discussed.) This is a lot harder to get right than most people think at first, and it's a job well done here! Second, there's an overarching story underneath all the murder. That was an afterthought for me when I first started, but overarching story is important to make cases feel like Ace Attorney as well.

Minor presentation aspects were mostly right, which removed quite a few distractions. Fades and the custom music selection were both very good ideas. There are a few grammar issues scattered throughout, but I can forgive those. Even things as simple as a background that changed during the introduction were enough to get me unusually invested in the case from the start.

This is more technical, but I'm also going to give this trial a great deal of credit for economy. It would have been really easy for you to create another witness to give the testimony about the defendant leaving and to leave Luther's cross-examination for when we wanted to follow-up on why the defense attorney did so badly that it looked like hw as trying to lose. That would have created another unneeded witness and just cluttered up the case. Instead, you made quite a lot of having him on the stand twice, which is exactly what I like to see! It gives some important clues for later and establishes a baseline characterization to make his personality change later on the more surprising and give more emotional weight to the actions of Peterson.

What truly astounded me was how ambitious this case was. Cases over 8000 frames are already exceptional. Cases that add in new mechanics and multiple crimes and overarching stories of this scale even moreso. That kind of creativity and commitment is encouraging to me to see. Now, ambition in a case has its bad side too. Trying to create an epic can make a case that's unwieldy when the execution of those ambitious ideas falters and things get longer and more complicated. That does afflict this case, as I discuss below.

There are things to finesse, but overall, you have a lot of the right ideas, and it comes out very well for the case!

Before I go on to the bad, I'll insert the disclaimer that reviews are inherently subjective. Not all feedback should be acted on, but feedback can reveal things you didn't even consider.

One, this mystery is very complicated. Even after having played this, I can't say how all the pieces fit together. When canon games introduce cases this complex, they normally have an investigation segment for the player to get the relevant information at a slow enough pace that they can absorb it all. I encourage you to replay whatever canon game you want as a point of comparison. Instead, this case adds complexity to complexity and includes frequent context shifts. Context shifts make it harder for players to piece together information.

For example, the first testimony is Ema talking about the HR-2 incident, Russel's motive, and the state of the crime scene. The second testimony is Luther talking about the timeline of the defendant and victim leaving the gallery during HR-2. Then we have have Fernando talking about the search for the victim and discovering the crime scene. This is followed by a fourth testimony from the defendant about his movements at the time of the crime and discovery of the crime scene. Throughout these cross-examinations, we're also learning about the yellow envelope, a note that Russel somehow passed from Carpenter, cryptic behavior from Klavier and the witnesses and the victim, and anonymous tips. I personally was bothered by the use of the masonry chisel, because I still don't understand why it was so imperative that the real crime scene be hidden. And this summary only covers around a third of the way through the case!

This was so much information to process that I couldn't hold it all at once. That the topic of conversation changes so much makes organizing information harder. Many contradictions and evidence presents, especially when Apollo is tasked to convince the judge to not declare a verdict yet, require the player to know the facts of the case extremely thoroughly. That includes not just the Court Record but fine details from several cross-examinations previous, with little prompting of what to look for. I just couldn't remember them all. If you want specific examples, I can give them to you.

I can't speak to what you were thinking during the design process, but the lesson I needed to learn when I made the same mistake was that making cases more complex, drawn-out, and intricate won't always make them more fun. When those cost the player's ability to follow along easily and sense of progress, the player just gets worn out. For me, this case crossed that line.

The last major part of "the bad" is a narrative point. I have a very hard time believing the story around Peterson. The cardinal rule with conspiracies is that the fewer people involved and the easier it is for them to play along with you, the better. For example, Manfred von Karma can get away with a lot of evidence forgery, but proving he forges evidence is incredibly hard, and there is nobody (that we know of) with enough information to expose him. Redd White can get away with tampering with the trial for Mia's murder, but the tampering he does isn't that hard. Nobody wants to go against Miles Edgeworth in the first place, especially for a client like Maya who can't pay. The prosecutor's office is happy as long as somebody goes to jail. Furthermore, Redd White only tries to extend his influence over people who are very safely under his control, like Marvin Grossberg. If he doesn't have something on you, then all he lets you know is that he's the CEO of Bluecorp, but you don't need to know what he actually does.

It's hard for me to believe the story about Peterson because he breaks both of these rules. First, the scale of his operation is massive. Just look at how Klavier talks about him:
"Orchestrating everything behind the scenes..."
"And continuing his destruction even as we speak..."
"He wanted to control the entire business scene... Be the top dog running everything... With unquestioned authority over the business world, he would run it with an iron fist..."
I can believe he would blackmail some businessmen, come out clean after some fraud investigations, have enemies killed, and even that he would place some bribes when he got into legal trouble. But running everything?
It's even worse because the things he's doing would get him caught very easily. According to Ethan, driving people to suicide is a hobby of his. Surely victims of that would be desperate enough to find somebody in authority who could investigate! What do they have to lose? That creates unwanted attention on Peterson, which should undermine his entire operation, no matter how "clever" he is. And what about "Many people found their wages slashed in half, maybe even by more... In fact, every company started doing this under the orders of this man... With less income, families began struggling to survive". This sounds like he is sending most of the nation into poverty. How on earth has he remained uncaught and unknown by the general public? You can place some bribes, but not even bribery would let you get away with crime on that scale.
Making things even less believable, it becomes very bad to be the person carrying out Peterson's orders. If you start ordering people en masse to commit serious crimes, such as halving wages and driving people to suicide, which is supposedly what Peterson orders fairly regularly, blackmail will not be enough to get people to follow along. Not with crimes like that. In comparison, Redd White just needs to tell people not to take a defense case they probably wouldn't want to take in the first place.

I understand that you want it to be clear that Peterson is a very very bad man, but you've more than made the point. It brings attention not to Peterson being bad, but to the fact that you the author are doing everything you can to make Peterson look bad. Again, I tried something similar in my second case, with a case that was far darker than it needed to be. You'll get a better sense of this with time, but it's important not to overdo "dark".
Feel free to ask me to clarify any points. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make now.
PatBrownGame

Post by PatBrownGame »

I'm again very glad you enjoyed the case! I'm also very glad you pointed out the flaws so that cases in the future can improve!
Spoiler : Also, a thing I think I should point out :
I didn't make all of the custom graphics! That'd be Starora and the resources forum topic responsible for quite a bit of those!