[T][CE] Turnabout Pairs ★

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

[T][CE] Turnabout Pairs ★

Post by Bad Player »

Happy Japanese July 15, everyone!!

Which means (as per Meph's approval) we can showcase me+Blackrune's competition entry!!!! =D

It's an independent sequel to Turnabout of Courage, so if you want to play that first... go ahead. But you can play this, too xP

Anyway, we don't have much else to say, so... I guess I'll just give the links.

Part 1 - Investigation
Part 2 - Trial
Part 3 - Trial Latter

Also, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING GK2 MUSIC FOR THE TRIAL
(no spoiler tracks or character themes or anything like that)

The case is 100% complete. We're just not posting the link to the second half to help build up responses/haipe (cuz we're jerks like that :awesome: )
After all, nobody is going to post up theories if they can just go on and play the next part....
(EDIT: Trial is out! Go play~)

Anyway, comments/questions/criticisms/theories gogogo

Spoiler : screenshots~ :
Coincidentally, all these also appear in the spoof version, Turnabout Pairings

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courtesy of the awesome Ferdielance: Invisiclues! (Everything from here on out is all his)

Hmm. This gives me an idea. Reading a walkthrough isn't very satisfying, but getting hints from the thread takes time and help. So let me borrow an idea from Infocom: INVISICLUES!

Invisiclues for Turnabout Pairs

General notes on Invisiclues:

* These Invisiclues are designed to give you exactly the help you need, and no more than that. Each question contains a set of spoiler-tagged clues.

* To use these clues without spoiling your fun, please only open the clues you need. Try opening a clue, then wrestling with the puzzle a little more, then opening the next clue!

* Under each section, you can find a summary of key facts revealed during that part of the investigation. Use it well if your memory gets foggy during the trial!

* Since the questions themselves may imply spoilers, I have laced each section with fake questions and clues so that you don't accidentally wreck the mystery for yourself. Don't assume that every question in the clue set is relevant - only go to the questions you need!

General Hints about the Case:

Q: Does this case follow Knox's Decalogue?
Spoiler : A1: :
No, but you're given pretty fair warning that it won't follow all ten Commandments, especially if you've played AAI.
Spoiler : A2: :
Do you really want to know which one(s) is/are broken? Last chance to back out!
Spoiler : A3: :
Only the third rule (maximum one secret passage), and possibly the sixth rule (no accident may help the detective) are broken.
Spoiler : A4: :
There are doubles of a sort, but we're prepared for them by clues in the story. And...
Spoiler : A5: :
At no point is Klavier mistaken for Kristoph or vice-versa.
Part I: Investigation

Section 1: Before finding a body:

Q: What does Mia mean by that trial?
Spoiler : A: :
Turnabout of Courage.
Q: Aaaaargh! Is Oldbag going to be testifying in this?
Why do you ask? Do you have something against her?
Young 'uns these days don't have any respect for their elders.
Why, when I was your age, if a beautiful lady was willing to spend the time to tell me, yes, little old me, some vitally important testimony, you can bet that I'd shut my mouth and listen, but it seems like nowadays it's all maids and masked men and trolls who don't show an ounce of common courtesy to their betters, yes, I say their betters, because it's obvious that they have less class in their entire bodies than Mr. Edgeworth has in the tip of his index finger, may he rest in peace.
Are you sure you want to know? Whether or not a person testifies can be a spoiler, since it means they saw or didn't see anything important.
Are you REALLY sure? Last chance to back out!
Spoiler : A6: :
Oldbag doesn't testify.
Q: Will Maria be testifying?
Are you sure you want to know? Whether or not a person testifies can be a spoiler, since it means they saw or didn't see anything important.
Yes, she testifies. Thankfully, it's not nearly as trollish as that testimony in Turnabout of Courage.
Q: Will Ben Woodman be testifying?
First of all, do you suspect him?
Not everybody who confesses to a crime is the guilty party in AA.
That said, it depends on how you define 'Ben.' Do you count Trilo in there?
Ben has an alibi, but his puppet most certainly does not. And he sure seems guilty.
Spoiler : A7: :
... but that's just because he was caught reading fake Invisiclues for questions he didn't need! Geez, have you even played the case yet?!
SUMMARY OF SECTION 1: Okay, what was I supposed to get out of everything that happened before the body was found?
Mia was scheduled to meet with Klavier in his room, 501W, at 1:30 PM.
The bellboy and Oldbag met her in the lobby; Oldbag does not actually work at the hotel.
The first floor entrance to the stairs was locked.
When Mia was about the head up to Klavier's room, she encountered Maria, the maid, in the lobby, preparing to deliver room service there.
They went up together and arrived at 501W at 1:36 PM. Nobody responded to Maria's knock at the door.
Maria looked through the keyhole and reported that the key was still in the lock on the other side. Unwilling to take her word for it, Mia looked through the keyhole herself to verify this.
Stating that she would rather not go down to the lobby to get a skeleton key, Maria slid a piece of paper under the door, then gave Mia a piece of wire to push the key out of the other side of the lock (so that Maria could catch it on the paper.)
Spoiler : A8: :
Maria then gave the room key to Mia, who used it to open the door.
Spoiler : A9: :
Inside, they found the body of Klavier Gavin. Let us bow our heads and end this section on a moment of respectful silence.
Spoiler : A10: :
Section 2: After finding the body, but before visiting the defendant:

Q: Whoa! Is this another Perfect Locked Room?
Could be. But don't jump to conclusions!
Q: What should I examine in the fifth floor west hallway?
It might be worthwhile to check out Klavier's door, its lock, the label plate next to the door, and the neighbor's door.
Q: What should I examine in the lobby?
Well, you could try examining the shrubs, but... there's really nothing to see here.
Q: What should I talk to the maid about/present to her?
As always, pick every conversation topic offered.
You may have other things to show her later, but this will do for now.
Q: What should I ask Oldbag about?
The murder, of course.
Her ungrateful children.
Whippersnappers who read fake hints!
Q: Is there anything worth examining in the Central Restaurant?
Nope.
Q: Will Jean Armstrong be testifying?
Armstrong doesn't testify.
Q: What should I ask Wellington about/present to him?
Spoiler : A1 :
All of the conversation options, for starters.
Spoiler : A2 :
Read on only if you've questioned Maria thoroughly and run into Gumshoe and the prosecutor in the upstairs hall.
Spoiler : A3 :
Show him the knife.
Q: What should I ask Moe about/present to him?
Read on only after Kristoph has attacked you with the gun.
Ask Moe about fake hints.
Q: Will Moe the Clown be testifying?
Moe doesn't testify. OR DOES HE?????
Don't worry about Moe.
Q: What should I ask the Bellboy about/present to him?
You may also want to show him the knife, the hotel map, the key, and the door locks, just to be safe.
Q: Will Wocky Kitaki be testifying?
Yes.
Q: I want to visit the crime scene!
That's not a question... but you need to visit the defendant in the Detention Center first.
Q: Why can't I meet the defendant at the Detention Center?! They're still in questioning!
Did you ask everyone about all conversation options?
Did you show Wellington the knife?
If you're stuck, use the summary of section 2 below as a walkthrough.
Q: How do I escape from Kristoph?
It would be impossible for most people, but you're Mia Fey. What can you do that most people can't?
Channel Klavier, and Kristoph will hesitate in his attack for a moment.
Then shank him with the dagger!
Spoiler : A4 :
Afterwards, you can choose to either accept or decline Trilo's marriage proposal, but I recommend that you decline.
SUMMARY OF SECTION 2: Okay, what was I supposed to get from this part of the investigation?
Upon breaking into the room, Maria and Mia found Klavier's body lying in the middle of the floor, shot twice and surrounded by blood.
There was a bloody knife on the floor near him and a suitcase nearby. The window was closed.
Maria called the police using her cell phone, but did not leave the scene. Together, they waited outside of the room for the police to arrive.
At 1:59 PM, Detective Gumshoe arrived and looked in at the body, took the room key from Mia, and disposed of the room service.
Gumshoe forbade Mia and Maria from entering the room, and Maria headed down to the lobby while Mia investigated the hallway. She noticed that the door had two locks: a keycard lock and a key lock.
Mia went downstairs to the lobby and met the maid at 2:10 PM. During her passive-aggressive conversation with Mia, she handed over a map of the hotel and made the following statements, which may be true, false, or something in between:
* There was no way into Klavier's room (501W) except via the window or door, and the window was too high up to enter. If someone had tried to exit via the window, their corpse would have been found in the courtyard below.
* The hotel has perfect east-west symmetry.
* Each room has one door key, but can also be opened by a skeleton key. However, the skeleton key could not have been used to lock room 501W, as it would have pushed the room key out of the lock on the other side.
* Each room could also be locked with a staff cardkey using the slot above the lock.
* Klavier put in an order for room service at about 1:10 PM over the phone, ordering a glass of wine and Wellington's wellington.
Mia then investigated the restaurant, arriving at 2:25 PM. She encountered the flamboyant Jean Armstrong, who claimed to be the chef, but Richard Wellington, the real chef and owner, quickly arrived and shooed him out of the restaurant as a delusional trespasser.
Spoiler : A8: :
In her conversation with the astoundingly snobby Wellington, he made the following statements, which may be true, false, or something in-between:
* He used to be involved in 'shady business' before he became a chef. (Mia remembers that he was involved with con artists.)
* The detective informed him of the murder, but he had been in the kitchen all day.
* The restaurant and hotel get very few visitors during the off-season.
Spoiler : A9: :
Mia then went upstairs and found Gumshoe in the hallway outside of the crime scene. Franziska von Karma had kicked him out to avoid disturbing her 'perfect investigation.' He made the following statements, which may be true, false, or something in between:
* The knife at the crime scene came from the downstairs restaurant.
* One set of fingerprints were found on the handle: Klavier Gavin's.
Spoiler : A10: :
But before Mia could pump the detective for more information, Franziska burst onto the scene and announced that she had solved the case - and that the solution to this case was the same as the solution to a previous one at the Embassy!
Spoiler : A11: :
In the lobby, Franziska placed Ron DeLite under arrest, badly startling Moe the Clown in the process. After she led him away, Mia questioned the Bellboy, who made the following statements, which may be true, false, or something in between:
* The hotel was based upon the old Cohdopian Embassy - that is, the symmetrical twin embassies of Allebahst and Babahl.
* In addition to the cardkeys, there is one key for each door lock, plus a skeleton key for emergencies.
* He hopes to give a super-important testimony about an exciting murder.
* The off-season staff roll of people who have cardkeys is small:
*** The bellboy works at the front desk, checking in guests and dealing with complaints.
*** Maria is the maid. She cleans, does room service, and constantly "loses" keys.
*** Wellington is the chef, who's abrasive but competent.
*** Wocky Kitaki is the handyman, and quite good at it. He was once a gang member.
Spoiler : A12: :
On visiting the Detention Center, Mia found that Ron was still in questioning, but curiously, they were asking him where he "hid the weapon," implying that the gun wasn't found in his room or on him.
Spoiler : A13: :
Upon asking Wellington about the knife, Mia learned that the restaurant's knives were replicas of historical knives from the embassy, and thus quite unique. However, one could have been stolen by any customers, though he stated that he didn't remember who had visited the restaurant that day.
Spoiler : A14: :
Finally, she went to the Detention Center again to see Ron.
Section 3: Meeting the defendant (and after)

Q: Did Maya really do it?
Of course not! She's never guilty!
Especially seeing as she isn't in this case at all.
Q: What should I ask Maya about?
The murder, of course.
Her ungrateful children.
Whippersnappers who read fake hints!
Whee! Copy-paste!
Q: Is there anything worth examining in the Detention Center?
Is there ever anything worth examining there?
No.
Q: What should I ask the defendant about and/or present?
As always, make sure to cover all conversation topics.
You may also want to present the knife.
Q: Will Spark Brushel be testifying?
Yes.
Q: What should I ask Brushel and Wocky about and/or present?
As always, make sure to cover all conversation topics.
I also suggest presenting the knife, just for the heck of it.
Q: What should I examine in Room 501W?
Be thorough, as always.
Check out the window, the drawers, the chalk outline, the knife on the floor, the fireplace, the suitcase, and, just for kicks, the books above the drawers.
Q: What should I ask Gumshoe about and/or present?
You know the drill - exhaust all conversation options.
You may also want to present the knife to him.
Q: What was hidden in the vase?
Are you sure you want to know?
Are you REALLY sure? Last chance.
Nothing of relevance, as far as I know.
Q: Is there anything worth examining in Room 501E?
Well, the body, to start with.
Check out the fireplace and the gun, too.
Huh. That window... is it open? Check it out.
SUMMARY OF SECTION 3: Okay, what was I supposed to get from this part of the investigation?
First, Mia spoke to Ron DeLite at the Detention Center. He made the following statements, which may be true, false, or something in between:
* Ron didn't kill (or even personally know) Klavier Gavin.
* Ron was staying in room 503W, the room directly next to Klavier's.
* He stayed in his hotel room all day, and didn't see or hear anything interesting because he had his headphones on. He received no cuts or other injuries that day.
* He's a "huge fan" of Masque deMasque, the phantom thief, who was killed at the hotel - though some claim that the dead thief was just a copycat.
Mia then met Spark Brushel in the Central Restaurant, who said that he was meeting up with someone in search of a "big scoop." However, before Mia could question him about it, Wocky Kitaki arrived. In the frustrating conversation that followed, Wocky and Brushel stated that:
* Wocky had been a straight-up G before his folks threw him out of his crib, which was quite wack. He used to supply Brushel with 'scoops,' but there haven't been as many lately.
* Brushel's scoop had something to do with a 'pha...' (though he cut himself off there) and the west side of the fifth floor.
She then went to the crime scene. Her examination and discussion with Gumshoe revealed the following:
* The body had been taken away for autopsy.
* The hotel room window opens from the bottom and swings open/shut easily; the curtains were not very thick.
* The fireplace was empty of wood, and thus apparently decorative.
* Klavier had brought nothing to the hotel but a suitcase; the drawers were empty. Inside the suitcase, Gumshoe found a file about the TC-2 case, an inheritance dispute between Klavier and his brother, Kristoph, over the will of their father, Kurtis Gavin, which offered Klavier most of his estate. Kristoph sued Klavier, alleging negligence in Klavier's final care for their father in the time leading up to his death. Many witnesses related to the family and household are mentioned in the file, which also mentions that Miles Edgeworth was the attorney in that case.
* Klavier was killed with a medium-sized handgun; the details are in his autopsy report.
* Franziska was able to "solve" the case with a cursory examination of the room, implicating the defendant.
Upon returning to the lobby, Mia ran into Gumshoe again, who had just gotten back the results of the blood test on the knife, which belonged to a close relative of Klavier. Overhearing this, the bellboy said that Kristoph was staying in the hotel as well, in room 501E. Gumshoe and Mia hurried upstairs to tell him the bad news.
Spoiler : A5 :
But before they could reach the room, they heard a shattering noise from the safety deposit box room! Mia investigated, and found that Maria had broken a vase there. Mia then headed upstairs to meet Gumshoe.
Spoiler : A6 :
Nobody answered to Gumshoe's knocks at the door of 501E, so, in spite of Mia's protestations, Wocky Kitaki broke the door down. Inside, they found the corpse of Kristoph Gavin!
Spoiler : A7 :
On entering, they noticed several things:
* A medium-sized handgun lying next to Kristoph's corpse.
* Blood around his body, which had two stab wounds in the back.
* The key to room 501E.
* A fireplace that matched the one in Klavier's room, but looked entirely unused.
* An open window.
Spoiler : A8 :
The investigation ended on the realization that they were facing two mirrored locked room murders, each one containing a weapon corresponding to the wounds on the other room's body!
Invisiclues for Turnabout Pairs, continued

Do not assume that these questions are all relevant, or that the number of testimonies shown below is accurate! I have taken care to construct fake hints for extra testimonies to avoid spoilers on the number of times certain witnesses appear.

Witness numbering:

Witnesses are numbered in the order in which they testify.

Any witnesses who are called back to the stand later in the trial will be given a new number, to avoid spoiling which witnesses get re-called, if any.

So, for example, if WITNESS TWO comes back in the end of the case, they wouldn't be called WITNESS TWO. They'd be given a new number!

The Trial (Part 1)

Q: How do I kill the prosecutor?
Sadly, you can't.
Q: Is the prosecutor really telling me everything there is to know about this evidence?
What do you think?
Of course not!
----

WITNESS ONE

WITNESS ONE, TESTIMONY ONE:

Q: Hmm... this is pretty vague. What do I do?
What do you normally do with vague statements?
Press the statement about arresting the defendant. Then, when Gumshoe adds a statement saying that only the defendant could have done it, present a piece of contradictory evidence. Remember that Mia might not know everything that AAI players know!
As far as Mia knows, the defendant couldn't have done it. Show Gumshoe why.
Present the Hotel Room Keys on the added statement.
Q: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffff------
That's okay. Let it out. Let it all out.
It's worth mentioning that this trial was created for a trolling competition.
WITNESS ONE, TESTIMONY TWO:

Q: This seems entirely consistent with the crime scene, but Mia says something's off. What is it?
Well...
For one thing, the crime took place in a hotel, not in Gumshoe's apartment.
For another, there is no second testimony for the first witness.
----

WITNESS TWO

WITNESS TWO, TESTIMONY ONE:

Q: How am I going to find that case-breaking contradiction here? The witness seems pretty anxious about that.
The Bellboy will be pretty disappointed if you don't!
Press everything in search of a critical clue. But...
There is no problem with any of his statements, and there isn't a contradiction anywhere. Sorry, Bellboy.
This clue intentionally left blank.
WITNESS TWO, TESTIMONY TWO:

Q: I'm running out of time. Which presses will give me a penalty?
All of them. Don't press, present.
Q: What do I present?
How can you contradict the statement about the music?
Remember, Ron was wearing earbuds.
Present the accordion on statement 3.
Q: The prosecutor wants me to say how the gunshots were silenced, but I have no idea!
The silencer was hidden somewhere nearby.
Present the accordion. The silencer is hidden inside.
WITNESS TWO, TESTIMONY THREE:

Q: There can't be a hole in this testimony, can there?
There isn't.
The defendant is really guilty, according to this.
On the fourth statement, press. Then change your plea to 'Guilty.'
Hazama won't accept your plea? Wow.
What a depressing ending!
-----

WITNESS THREE

WITNESS THREE, TESTIMONY ONE:

Q: Something's fishy about this account of the restaurant's activities... but what?
There's a pretty solid contradiction in the testimony; you don't really need to press, though you may be able to get a better sense of the situation that way.
A knife went missing, but we don't know when. According the the witness, there was only one customer, Ron, and only he could've taken the knife.
Let's assume that Ron really was the only customer to visit the restaurant. Also, let's assume that Armstrong didn't take the knife.
You have evidence that someone else had a task to perform at the restaurant. Present this evidence on the statement where Wellington says that nobody else could've taken the knife.
Present the Room Service Request on the statement that nobody but the defendant could've taken the knife; I think it also works on the "one customer" statement.
-----

WITNESS FOUR

WITNESS FOUR, TESTIMONY ONE:

Q: The witness seems to just be reiterating what Mia was there to see in person. Is there any problem here?
Yes, and you don't even need to press for Mia to see it.
Since the things that she literally reports appear to be verifiable by Mia herself, the problem has to lie in a conclusion she jumps to, not the facts themselves.
Think about the nature of the locked room. How many ways in and out were there really, not counting the window?
Was it really impossible for someone to use the door? What do we know about the locks?
Present the doors on the statement that the only way in or out was the fireplace.
Q: What?! We need to accuse someone already?! Who?
Yep. Think about the doors carefully, and who had access to cardkeys and something else of importance.
The four staff members are Wocky, Maria, the Bellboy, and Wellington.
Which of them had access to the knife and has yet to give us an alibi?
Wellington's not a bad guess, but accuse Maria.
Q: Oops. Should I back down on my accusation?
Think carefully. If you back down now, are there any other suspects who you could really raise a case against?
It would be very hard to carry the case forward without Maria, so don't back down!
Q: The prosecution wants me to explain how the murder was possible, and I'm not getting anywhere.
How was Klavier killed?
Would someone have to be in Klavier's room in order to have killed him?
Where else could the shooter have been? Check the hotel map.
This present is a little finicky. The hotel map won't work, nor will presenting the gun, nor will presenting Klavier's autopsy report. You have to show conclusively which location you're referring to using a piece of evidence.
Present Kristoph's profile. Klavier could have been shot from 501E!
WITNESS FOUR, TESTIMONY TWO:

Q: Yeep! That was a pretty vicious testimony! Where's the hole in the logic?
What's the central, critical focus of this testimony? No misdirection here.
If Klavier's window had been open, she could have thrown the knife through, so that would resolve the whole testimony.
The problem, then, is how she closed the window. Did she close it from inside Klavier's room, or from outside Klavier's room? Check out the description of the windows in the Court Record and see if an inspiration descends on you.
Was it possible to close those windows from the outside, from a distance?
Possibly with a thrown object?
Was anything found near either window?
Present the coat on the statement that she couldn't have closed the window.
Q: Small bombs?!?!
You can't prove it wasn't small bombs.
Except for the complete lack of any explosions. But they could have been really small.
Moe planted them underneath the knife in Kristoph's room, then used their force to propel it into Klavier's room.
Afterwards, the maid cleaned up the ashes.
Q: Where's the detonator?
Maria swallowed it.
WITNESS FOUR, TESTIMONY THREE:

Q: How do I deal with this new locked room problem?
Three pieces of evidence will do. No more, no less. We'll break this down piece-by-piece.
If you've played AAI, this isn't a hard one, though one piece of evidence is a bit tricky. Think back to the case in AAI; that should put you on the right track. If you haven't played AAI, read on.
Consider the title of the case and everything that's happened so far. We have two bodies, two weapons, two locked doors, and two rooms in two hotel buildings.
The key problem is how Maria could have gotten into Kristoph's room.
What features did you see in both 501W and 501E? Given what you know now, does this suggest any theories?
The first piece of evidence you need shows the basic layout of the problem. It is....
... the map. Notice how symmetrical it is?
The second piece of evidence you need shows how to get into Kristoph's room without dealing with the doors. It is...
Spoiler : A9 :
... the fireplace. Given the symmetrical layout, a revolving fireplace in Klavier's room would likely be matched by a revolving fireplace in Kristoph's room. So far, AAI players probably have this one in the bag.
Spoiler : A10 :
You're not done yet! To use the fireplace, Maria would have to get into the room next door. The third piece of evidence shows how. It is...
Spoiler : A11 :
... the hotel room doors. She must have used her cardkey... right?
Spoiler : A12 :
On her statement about there being no other way in, make a Super-Objection using the fireplace, the doors, and the map. Whew!
Q: A third room with the key in the lock? Do these ever end?
Check your assumptions. Up until now, you've been told that each room had its own key inside. Is that really true?
In point of fact, the key inside room 501E is the key for room 501W. The key inside 501W is the key to room 503E. The key in room 503E opens room 503W.
Following this pattern... what does the key in room 503W open?
The front door of Rokkenjima Mansion.
Q: Spray-on dust?
No.
Q: Should I still stick with this accusation? If so, how do I support it?
Don't you hate these? It's kind of a toss-up, but... do you really have evidence to back up what you're saying?
You've got nothing.
Drop the accusation.
Q: A huge flaw in the Prosecution's case? What is it?!
Well, they've really pinned you down on Klavier's murder. As far as the judge is concerned, Ron did it.
Once you eliminate Klavier's murder, though, there's still a big issue to worry about.
Kristoph's murder.
Present Kristoph's Autopsy Report.
Q: The prosecutor isn't even going to TRY to explain it?
Pretty much, yes.
To be fair, the evidence is on his side. All Hazama has to show is that it wasn't impossible for Ron to kill Kristoph. Do you really want him making up crazy stuff just to troll you?
This way's better for everyone. His explanation probably would've implicated Mia as an accomplice, just for the hell of it.
Q: I need to present an avenue we haven't explored yet, or the judge is going to end the trial!
I take back the last one, I REALLY hate these. There are several avenues that you haven't explored, but only one or two can actually prolong the trial by Ace Attorney logic.
What kind of things do you do in AA cases to prolong trials?
You need to call witnesses. Who hasn't testified yet, but has given you some kind of reason to be suspicious during the investigation?
Wocky and Brushel. Try presenting Brushel's profile.
Q: Was the killer really Kristoph's double, Gilligan?
Are you sure you want to know? This is a big spoiler.
Are you REALLY sure?
REALLY REALLY SURE?
Yep. Let's just run with that. Gilligan did it. Sorry for spoiling the whole case.
Invisiclues for Turnabout Pairs, part 3 (Trial LATTER)

Remember, only use hints you need, and don't assume that the number of testimonies or the questions you see are all accurate! I've added fake questions to help prevent unintentional self-spoilage.

Q: "The crime must really be possible... or must it?" Was it magic?
....that would make it easy for the writers, I guess.
A reasonably sane solution exists.
WITNESS FIVE

WITNESS FIVE, TESTIMONY ONE:

Q: ... you've got to be kidding. How do I handle this insane testimony?
A: Rather than give it all away in one hint, I'll start with general advice, then break down the testimony statement by statement.

GENERAL ADVICE ON THE FIRST (TRIAL LATTER) WITNESS'S FIRST TESTIMONY:
One word: misdirection.
Your magic number is 'three contradictions.'
At first, the testimony seems so wildly implausible that you have no place to start! Everything seems impossible! But the problem isn't showing how it was impossible. Ultimately, if you're going to get anywhere, you'll need to figure out how it was possible for Brushel to see what he saw. So don't try to debunk his wild phantom story yet!
Press thoroughly at first, and listen to Mia's advice; it's not the wildly impossible farcical bits you want to look at.
What is grabbing your attention right now? Ignore that entirely.
Do not present the floor plan at any statement in the testimony.
None of the contradictions involve Mask deMasque! Pay attention to everything but Mask deMasque. Ignore even his catchy theme tune if you have to!
Q: Should I take advice from the prosecutor?
I'm going to be generous and assume that you haven't actually played a trial with Hazama in it before.
No.
No. No. No. No. No. No. No.
NO. NO. NEVER EVER.
-----

ALL STATEMENT NUMBERS BELOW ARE GIVEN PRIOR TO THE ADDITION OF ANY EXTRA TESTIMONY!

Q: Is there anything wrong with the first statement?
You can press it and see.
Nothing really jumps out, does it?
Besides Brushel's fanaticism, anyway.
You don't need to present anything for the first statement.
Q: Is there anything wrong with the statement added after the first?
Yes.
It is a massive contradiction.
In that it doesn't exist.
Q: Is there anything wrong with the second statement?
Well, you can try pressing, but think about it carefully.
Which room are they saying they entered? Does it have any other significance in this case?
Entered with a cardkey?
Present the Hotel Room Keys. That door was locked from the inside... or was it?
Q: Is there anything wrong with the third statement?
Try pressing.
Mia seems a little suspicious about it.
Maybe she remembers something from when you first found Klavier's body?
Like how he wasn't in the corner at all! Present Klavier's autopsy report.
Q: Is there anything wrong with the statement added after the third?
The point is subtle, but yes.
There's a musical cipher in the background song.
There is no statement added after the third!
Did you mean the one added one statement later?
Q: Is there anything wrong with the fourth statement?
Press it!
A rasping noise, like a file? Remember that for later.
Nothing else is wrong here, but you have a new statement in the testimony.
Q: Is there anything wrong with the statement added after the fourth?
Press it.
Mia thinks something's off. Trust her instincts this time.
Think back to visiting room 501W. Did it look different than what Brushel seems to be describing? How?
Light was coming in through the window - so present that!
Q: Is there anything wrong with the fifth (original) statement?
Well, obviously it couldn't be Mask deMasque he saw behind him. But...
You don't actually have any real evidence of who it is. Unless you want to implicate your defendant, which you don't.
Don't take the bait! Leave this statement alone.
Q: Is there anything wrong with the sixth statement?
Well, the elevator was within running distance.
And nothing would have stopped Brushel from running.
And hey, wouldn't you run in that situation?
Nothing's wrong here.
Q: What about the seventh statement?
Power outage? It would have to be pretty local. Limited to a floor, even.
But if he's lying, this has been a massive waste of time.
Nothing's wrong here. There really was a local power outage.
Q: The eighth statement. Contradiction?
It sure sounds like that Redd White testimony in the first game, what with people going right and left. But the map is consistent.
He saw what he saw. No problem here.
Q: Is there something wrong with the ninth statement?
Well, does it makes sense if you look at the map?
It certainly seems to.
Brushel was rather confused at the time, but he's on the level and you can't explain this yet.
You can try tracing out the path Brushel followed for later, but for now, don't worry about this.
Q: Statement ten. Does this thing ever end? What's wrong here?
Absolutely nothing.
Well, nothing that you can actually present productively right now.
It's still pretty insane. Or is it?
Q: What can we glean from statement eleven?
That this Mask deMasque, whoever he is, is quite rude!
He seems to be able to walk through walls. Not even the fireplace passages can explain this particular movement. But that's less a contradiction and more a conundrum; you can't do much with it now.
If it's an accomplice... how many accomplices are we we even talking about here?!
Leave this one be. You'll get to the bottom of this eventually.
Q: STATEMENT TWELVE. LET'S ROCK, JA?
Please. That kind of phrasing is just unseemly, given the recent tragedy.
Nothing to see here. Just more craziness.
You can follow the moves on the map if you like.
Q: Will statement thirteen be unlucky for our culprit?
It could. If you suddenly have a burst of insight for some reason. But there's no contradiction here.
I got to the point quickly, so now I just need to fill a few more spoiler tags to avoid giving away that this statement is meaningless.
So... how about that... weather...?
It's been pretty cool here, thankfully.
Q: Are there any contradictions in statement fourteen?
Only Brushel's sudden bravado. Which isn't really a contradiction.
When I was a little kid, I mistook the shape of a clothes in my bedroom closet at night for the Grim Reaper himself.
One night, when I'd had enough, I got out of bed and CHARGED. Like Brushel! People do surprising things when fear pushes them far enough.
I felt kind of stupid afterwards, because the clothes were, in fact, my Grim Reaper costume. I have always been a little blind to the obvious, I guess!
Q: Any problems with statement fifteen?
Yes. IT IS THE FIFTEENTH STATEMENT. THAT IS THE PROBLEM.
THE PROBLEM IS THE SHEER NUMBER OF HINTS I HAVE TO WRITE.
Why did I think it was a good idea to do it this way?
(Weeps.)
Q: Statement sixteen seems impossible to me. Can I present something?
Yes! You can, in fact, present a maximum of about five things! But you probably shouldn't do that.
Because you'll get penalized every time.
Because there's nothing you can do about the blatant impossibility here. Well, it really is possible, but...
Ronald Knox is rolling in his grave.
Q: Statement seventeen. "I started to wander back down the hallway..." SUSPICIOUS!
No. Not at all.
Q: What about the statement added after the seventeenth when I pressed?
Just... just don't do this. Please. Have mercy. Stop reading the fake hints.
The things I do to avoid spoilage...
Q: Statement eighteen - is there something wrong with it?
No, but now the testimony can legally vote in the US.
If statements were years, anyway.
Mask deMasque sure is aggressive here!
Probably just wants to steal Brushel's scoop, eh? No, not really.
Q: Is there any contradiction in statement nineteen?
None whatsoever.
I am starting to make up lyrics for the Mask deMasque theme song in my head now.
"Sneaking through the shadows (castanets) Dancingly descending! / Leaping through the aaaaair!"
"Stalking through the darkness (castanets) Vanish in the clamor! / Cinnamon buns for haaaaair!"
Q: What's the contradiction in statement twenty, if any?
Well, if the lights came on suddenly, he... what am I saying? Of course he ran for it.
It's awfully convenient light timing, but you have no evidence to do much with that.
Still, bear in mind that somebody must be manipulating the lights here. Not that this is a contradiction...
"la la la la la la la la, Masque deMasque, theme song never ends..."
Q: What about statement twenty-one?
AND NOW THIS TESTIMONY IS OF U.S. DRINKING AGE. If statements were years.
Wasn't it impossible to get off the elevator on the first floor? No, wait, that was the stairs.
I bet Brushel made a really great blanket fort.
No contradiction.
-----

Q: Which clue would be most useful in helping explain this madness, and was there a reason for it?
Let's do it by elimination. One of these things is much, much more suspicious than the others at this moment.
The body moving? Eh, bodies get moved all the time in AA cases.
The door? As Hazama said, maybe it was unlocked at that time and locked later.
That leaves the boarded-up window. What's going on there? Is there a reason?
There'd BETTER be a reason, so say 'Yes.'
Q: Okay, I think I've found the clue I need to explain the whole insane testimony, but how do I show the reason for it?
You picked the window, right?
Okay. Why would someone want to board up a window?
Either to stop light from getting in, or to stop people inside from seeing out.
Why would someone want to stop Brushel from looking out the window? What might he see?
If that doesn't help, try taking a step back from the problem and thinking about all three contradictions again.
* According to Mia, the door of room 501W was locked from the inside, but Brushel says that Wocky entered with a cardkey?
* According to Mia, the body in room 501W was in the center of the room, but Brushel says they saw a body in the corner?
* According to Mia, the window of room 501W wasn't boarded up, but Brushel saw boarded windows?
What's the simplest possible explanation for all three of the contradictions, assuming that Brushel and Mia are both telling the truth to the best of their ability?
Are they both even talking about the same room?
But how on earth could Brushel have mistaken another room for room 501W?
He wasn't on the east wing, that's for sure; his directions of movement would have been mirror-flipped if that had been the case, and he was quite precise.
If not on the east wing of the fifth floor, then where?
Well, first things first, present the map.
Now, you need to point to something on the map to show that you've really figured it out. Where were Wocky and Brushel really? Don't just flail around and point at rooms at random. If you think clearly, you'll get it.
Spoiler : A13 :
Come on, don't peek until you've really thought about it. This is a good puzzle.
Spoiler : A14 :
They were on a different floor all along! Point at the floor number!
Q: Now I need to point out who was responsible for this lunacy. Who was it?
Well, somebody was acting suspiciously the whole time. Where was he really when all of this was happening?
Who got Brushel to go to the scene of this hoax in the first place?
Wocky Kitaki, that's who.
----

WITNESS SIX

WITNESS SIX, TESTIMONY ONE

Q: Another vague testimony? Where's the hole?
First, think about the statement that's most central to the trick Wocky used, and press it. Then point out the answer.
It 'couldn't have been on the fourth floor?' Press that.
Yes, there's something wrong. I mean, 'Yo, dawg.'
That added statement about elevators not going to the wrong floor is pretty suspicious, too. Elevators only go where you want them to? Normally, I'd buy that, but we have a reason to think otherwise here.
Could an elevator be made to do otherwise?
Wocky's a handyman! Present his profile at the added statement about the well-behavedness of elevators.
WITNESS SIX, TESTIMONY TWO

Q: Okay. How did the witness pull this off, and how can I show it?
Are any of his actual testimony statements problematic in themselves?
Not quite. So just press everything...
... but don't point out any problems until Mia asks if you can take an alternate approach and offers some possible explanations. The problem lies in his unstated assumptions, not the things he's saying.
If you do this thoroughly, pressing and refusing to explain, Mia will offer a set of choices: was it ghosts, accomplices, illusions, or inexplicable entirely?
Illusions are tempting, but there aren't any mirrors that could do this one.
So it must have been a matter of an accomplice or accomplices!
The next problem is... how many accomplices? Remember, you should choose no more than were necessary.
This part will be easier if you planned ahead and noted down Brushel's movements. If not, well, Occam's razor limits the number of people who would be involved in this prank. There's also another way to work it out...
Did Brushel ever see more than one Mask deMasque at a time?
Any time he was looking at one person, there would be time for another person to dodge around and surprise him.
So only one accomplice was needed. Who was it?
Whoever it was...
* Would need to be a staff member with a cardkey, most likely.
* Would need to be someone with no alibi at the time, or who was absent from their post in the hotel.
Spoiler : A13 :
Maria couldn't fit into that costume any better than Mia could. Scratch that suspect.
Spoiler : A14 :
Hmm. Was someone suspiciously absent from their place when a request of some kind went through?
Spoiler : A15 :
It was Rich Wellington!
Q: Another problem of how people got into and out of a room? How do I deal with this one?
The same way you dealt with it every other time, really.
Remember room 501E's locked room?
Present the fireplace.
Q: How has this testimony changed our understanding of the murder?
First, think about the two participants in the prank.
What changes about where they were during much of the afternoon?
Given that, what element of the Prosecution's case against Ron springs a leak?
Hazama's case is built on two foundations:
* Ron having unobserved access to the room next to Klavier.
* Ron having unobserved access to a murder weapon.
Did other people now have free and unobserved access to one of those things?
Present the knife!
Q: Okay. Am I ready to accuse someone now?
Do you have evidence that points at a specific person?
By AA logic, it's always the final witness. So Wocky. But is AA logic enough here, or do you have anything else?
Choose VERY CAREFULLY, and save first! To make a backup of your save, copy-paste the URL of the page into Notepad and keep that file around. To restore, copy-paste that gigantic URL back into your address bar.
If I were you, I wouldn't jump the gun. Say "Not Yet." But...
... if you want to accuse Wocky, well... it's a way to an ending?
REVISITING AN EARLIER TESTIMONY:

Q: I need to find something relevant to pursue here from that crazy testimony earlier, or it's all over! What is it?
I... I really hope your memory is good. This is a minor detail, but it's an important one.
It's not even something in the testimony statement itself, but something that came out of pressing!
We've already explained everything to do with Mask deMasque, so it has to be somewhere else.
But it's not something that Brushel or Wocky saw, either.
Nor is it something they touched, tasted, or smelled.
Didn't Brushel hear something?
Press the statement about the scream.
Q: I found the suspicious statement, but I have no idea what it means. How can I both name the culprit and explain how the locked room was created?
This is the heart of the mystery. If you solve this, you'll crack Klavier's locked room wide open!
It was really a file on metal. That's not misdirection. Brushel heard accurately. So you need to figure out what was filed, and why.
If this is all about Klavier's locked room, you may want to review what you know about it. The summaries in the first set of Invisiclues, explaining the investigation, might be a huge help here.
Focus on everything that surrounded the discovery of Klavier's body, and in particular the lock. What assumptions have been made from the start? Who was in the best position to manipulate this setup?
Here are a few elegant ways of creating a locked room - by no means an exhaustive list:
* Timing illusion: Set things up so that the timeline is wrong; perhaps someone was killed before the room was even locked, or after the detectives broke in.
* Spatial illusion: The layout of the room, and its connection to adjoining rooms, isn't what it appears to be. Alternatively, the positioning of the body or the killer is counterintuitive - for example, someone was killed from outside the room.
* Lock/key/door illusion: The room wasn't actually as much of a locked room as expected; someone could enter and leave at will.
* Witness illusion: Have the discoverers of the locked room flat-out lie.
* Concealment of the killer: The killer finds a hiding place inside the room and evades detection.
It's not a timing illusion you're dealing with here, fundamentally.
The killer didn't hide in the room; Mia or Gumshoe would have noticed. And it's unlikely that Mia lied to the player about what she saw - though she may have been mistaken about something.
The most obvious use for the file involves something to do with keys and locks. But what
What made this a locked room? "If someone had locked the door from the outside, the key on the other side would have fallen out." Is that necessarily true?
Mia saw something in the keyhole, and Maria showed her a key after they did the whole convoluted 'wire-and-paper' trick. But was there room for mischief there?
If you had to make it so that a key would fit into a keyhole but not fall out...
Maria filed down a spare key, then swapped it with the real one when Mia was fiddling with the keyhole!

Present Maria as the culprit, and the room keys as the evidence for what the file was used for. When asked for what the problem was, say the room key wasn't actually in the lock. And yes, she actually saw a key - but not a whole key! Of course, "there is a way" to explain this, as always.

If you were misled by the fact that Mia called the culprit a 'he'... well, so was I.
WITNESS SIX, TESTIMONY THREE

Q: This is the same problem as before! Or is it? Is there a new way I can deal with this?
You bet. What's different between Maria testifying here and Wocky testifying?
Perhaps he flat-out lied about something. Isn't it odd how he just broke down that door?
Press the third statement about the key having been in the keyhole, then press the added statement
NO MERCY, KEEP PRESSING! YOU'LL GET HIM.
Why would he break down the door? You can show that this makes no sense with evidence. What did Wocky have on him that made breaking the door down illogical?
The cardkey. Present the hotel doors.
And the next explanation doesn't hold water. Choose 'No way!'
What could he possibly have hidden by breaking down the door? Think about the exact sequence of events; you can consult the earlier Invisiclues for the investigation if it helps!
Was the key even in the room at first? Or did he plant it? Aha! Choose that!
Q: Uh, oh. The Prosecutor wants to have a little chat. What now?
An attorney doesn't cry until it's all over.
You'll want to press, then try a super-present.
You need to explain the prints on the knife AND the position of the bodies. How?
Focus on the prints. How could Klavier's prints get on the knife?
Maybe... he used it? But on who?
Klavier died instantly, yes, but that's not the only possibility for bodies moving around.
That's right. Super-Present Kristoph's autopsy report, Klavier, and the knife when Hazama asks 'how on earth' this happened.
Okay. Now you can cry.
This was all a gigantic dead end. Sorry. On the bright side, now that you've eliminated Wocky, I bet you have a much better idea of where things went wrong. Remember that place where you were asked to name a killer? You shouldn't have named one yet.
WITNESS SEVEN

WARNING!: If you really think you're ready to look at these clues, please click this spoiler first:
Spoiler : Just checking :
Witness seven should be someone you have accused of murder. Once you are sure of this, click the next spoiler to check.
Spoiler : Really, just checking :
If it's Wocky, he's actually WITNESS SIX. Go back up the page. Nothing to see here! Otherwise...
Spoiler : Good luck :
This is a pretty cunning opponent you're facing.

WITNESS SEVEN, TESTIMONY ONE

Q: The witness's movement probably wasn't some kind of giant coincidence... or was it? Is there a way to figure that out?
You may want to revisit the Invisiclues for the investigation and check the summaries. They'll help.
Of course, it wasn't a coincidence! The witness had a reason to go to room 501W at the time. Do you remember what that reason was?
It's in the Court Record; it's Evidence, even.
Present the Room Service request to rebut her claim that she went to the room by pure coincidence.
Q: Was there anything suspicious about the phone call to Kristoph? How can I show that it wasn't Klavier?
Well, for one thing, that call never happened. This is YET ANOTHER fake clue.
I mean, Kristoph didn't even have a cell phone! Which is kind of weird when you think about it, so don't.
And no clues of any call to Kristoph have been presented.
But nice try.
Q: Was there anything suspicious about the phone call to the restaurant? How can I show that it wasn't Klavier?
Yes. Reflect back on the earlier parts of the investigation/Invisiclues.
What did he order? Does that make sense, given his plans for the afternoon?
The wellington's fine, but what about that glass of wine?
He planned on meeting Mia, so ordering one glass only is bizarre. Present the room service order, then present Mia.
Q:Was there anything suspicious about the phone call to Franziska? How can I show that it wasn't the hospital?
It was really suspicious! But that won't help you, sadly.
If you smell a snake, you're right. Hazama probably set up Manfred's injury.
He's gonna get so whipped. Maybe tazered, too. We can but hope.
But it really was the hospital!
Q: Was there anything suspicious about the phone call to the police? How can I show that?
Well, the witness had a cell phone, so she didn't have to leave the room.
And Mia kept a very close eye on her.
Plus, the police can probably confirm that she really did call them.
Nope! No problems there.
Q: How could Wellington possibly have tampered with the window hinges?
With the help of fairies and elves.
These fake clues are just getting more and more blatant, huh?
Moe helped him.
WITNESS SEVEN, TESTIMONY TWO

Q: How was the second locked room created, and what do I present to show that?
Don't jump to conclusions. Check any assumptions you may have about how Kristoph's locked room came to be.
Maria says that it would have been impossible for her to lock Kristoph's room, and gives evidence of that. Is there a problem there?
There might not actually be a literal 'contradiction' in the testimony, but there is an assumption that Maria is tricking you into that's wrong.
Check all evidence relating to Kristoph's death. Does it suggest another possibility? Think outside the box!
Maria could lock Kristoph's room, maybe, with a skeleton key, but that wouldn't explain the key on the inside. Could anybody else have locked that room?
On Maria's statement that there's no way she could have created Kristoph's locked room, present the person who did.
It was Kristoph himself. Present his profile on that statement, then, when asked for support, present his autopsy report.
Q: Where was he killed?
Kristoph, you mean? Well, there's no way he trudged upstairs while bleeding to death...
... so it must have been on the fifth floor. But he wasn't killed in his own room, as we just established, so that leaves...
... Klavier's room, 501W!
Q: And why wasn't he seen going from one side of the building to the other?
Kristoph? Well, think back to earlier testimonies.
It's good that he got a chance to come out of the closet before he died.
Present the secret passage.

No, not the one in 501W. No, not the one in 501E. No, not the one in 401W, either! The one between the closets!
Q: What's 'off' about this theory?
Well, it's not really a huge problem, in my opinion, seeing as the mental state of Kristoph and Klavier probably wasn't at its best, but there is something.
Think about where Mia is claiming the people involved were - both in Klavier's room.
Think about the shooting. Accuracy seems like an issue here.
Present Klavier's autopsy report. (Of course, people do miss at close range in real life all the time, but never mind that.)
Q: Whaaaat? Who was killed in whose room now?
There's a difference between 'shot' and 'killed.'
Could Klavier have died in Kristoph's room?
How on earth would the body have been moved across the hotel? Say no.
Q: What the Bellboy did and didn't observe doesn't seem to match my theory. How can I explain this and support my explanation with evidence?
First off, was Klavier shot before or after the Bellboy saw him? Think about the location where he was supposedly shot.
The bellboy saw him going away from Kristoph's room, and only saw him once. Unless we assume that EVERYBODY was using secret passages - and that Klavier was running around in circles for no apparent reason - and, well, a number of other issues relating to the shooting, he had to have been shot before the Bellboy saw him.
Did the bellboy lie, or just somehow miss the wound? Well, he had no reason to lie. So he missed the wound.
And you have a piece of evidence that's perfect for covering bullet wounds.
Present Kristoph's coat. Huh. Why not another coat?
Was another coat available?
Nope. Present Klavier's luggage to show that no other coat could have been used.
Q: OH NO HE DIDN'T.
If you mean Hazama, yes, he did. And he's not even going to get penalized for some reason.
Q: Did this witness have a motive? If so, what was it?
Of course she did!
What was the biggest potential incentive to kill Kristoph and Klavier?
In particular, what was the biggest conflict between the siblings?
Present the TC-2 case file.
Q: How can we get a name here?
Who would need to know her real name? You don't need to go all the way to the TC-2 file and Germany to find someone.
She was gainfully employed, right?
The Bellboy should have it in his records.
Q: Okay, now how can we connect that name to the case?
Hmm... if you've been paying very close attention to the evidence, it will be familiar. Try consulting some stuff in the Court Record again.
Present the TC-2 file.
WITNESS SEVEN, TESTIMONY THREE

Q: How can I take these statements apart and make sense of the victim's actions?
Don't let Maria misdirect you. Just think about what happened from Klavier's point of view.
What might he have seen through the window, when or after Kristoph shot him?
Why didn't Kristoph finish the job immediately? What kept Kristoph from killing Klavier himself?
Was he really rushing back to 'his murderer', or to something else?
When Maria says that he was rushing back to his murderer, present the real reason he went back to his room.
He saw a person there.
Present Maria on that statement!
Q: How can I explain what happened to the weapon and show that my answer is possible?
You mean the gun? First, watch your assumptions.
A gun was found in Kristoph's locked room, which he supposedly closed up himself. But Maria shot Klavier the second time, or so we think, so how is that possible? Did she put in in after she shot Klavier, or did something else happen? Did Kristoph fire the second shot?
There's no way she flung that gun into the room so accurately. Try a different approach.
Kristoph probably wasn't the shooter the second time, since he'd have lost quite a bit of blood by then.
Look at the title of the trial again. There seems to be a running theme here, huh?
There was a second gun! Of course, now we have to show that this was possible...
You might have been fooled into thinking that a second gun was impossible. What piece of evidence might have given that false assumption? Look more closely at the descriptions of our evidence.
What led us to believe that the gun we found was the murder weapon? Present it and see what happens!
WITNESS SEVEN, TESTIMONY FOUR

Q: This testimony is huge! Where should I concentrate my efforts?
Don't let Maria (or Mia's musings) misdirect you! Focus on the key evidence that you need to deal with to turn this case around.
Don't overthink this, either! She's trying to distract you. You don't have to break her story at all, really.
What did you just discover that put you in this mess? And what did you find during your investigation? Review the earlier Invisiclues and the Court Record if it helps.
What you need to present isn't precisely a contradiction, but it's a major omission from Maria's account.
I'm about to reveal the suspicious statement, so don't click unless you really want to know.
Okay, let's suppose Ron went to the safety deposit box. Is there something fishy about the way Maria said that?
"The Bellboy" saw him? Is that all? You'll need to show evidence that there's something wrong with that!
Who else would have seen him, and how do you know that? Comb through your evidence until you see it.
I hate to say this... but any evidence you haven't used yet?
Present the vase shards on the statement that the Bellboy saw Ron.
Q: Where did the missing tool go? Is it in the hotel or the Court Record? If so, where?
You're being trolled. You know about the place where the file is.
You've even been told where the file is, though in a misleading way.
It's not in the hotel.
Read the descriptions of your evidence closely, discarding any assumptions you may have made. Hazama plays dirty.
It's not in the paper TC-2 file, no, that would be dumb. But that's getting on the right track...
Where did you find the TC-2 file?
State that the tool is in the Court Record, then present Klavier's luggage.
Q: Where is the last object used to create the locked room illusion hidden now?
Well, that key certainly wasn't destroyed.
If Maria had hidden it on the fifth floor during the investigation, wouldn't it have been found?
But if she carried it down from the fifth floor, wouldn't a cursory search of her pockets have found it?
We seem to be dealing with two possibilities that make no sense individually:
* Maria hid the key upstairs.
* Maria got the key downstairs somehow.
But BOTH are true!
Review the investigation; the early Invisiclues may help here!
Whenever I lose an object, I try to think about what I was doing when I lost it. What was Maria doing when she went to Klavier's room?
Maria had help in this, but her helper wasn't aware of it.
Last chance before I give the answer. Let the investigation summaries jog your memory! Or replay the first several minutes of the case and pay close attention to everything Maria does, and everything around her.
It's in the Court Record... present the Room Service! Checkmate!
Q: Where did the missing wire go?
Who was seen with a wire?
Maria seems to always have one on her - remember how she had Mia do the key trick?
She's hidden the wire in plain sight.
It's 'in this very courtroom,' on Maria, used to tie back her hair!
When asked how she used it, say 'To block the latch.'
---

WITNESS EIGHT

WITNESS EIGHT, TESTIMONY ONE:

Q: How was the victim's 'double' created, and how do I prove it?
Think about all of the people in the hotel.
Who could pass for Klavier, and what evidence do we have that this happened?
What WASN'T found in Klavier's room?
Which article of clothing was associated with Klavier?
If Klavier didn't bring his signature purple jacket... where did it go?
There's a lot of symmetry in this case.
Present Kristoph and the suitcase. Then choose 'Kristoph wore Klavier's jacket, too!'
But being dead would put a crimp in Kristoph's plans, wouldn't it?
So choose 'Kristoph never died!'
Q: Mia says that the person on the witness isn't who they claim to be. Who are they really?
The person claiming to be Gilligan is making some serious mistakes.
For one thing... that mannerism where he adjusts his glasses. Who else did that?
Present Kristoph's Profile!
Q: Then who was really killed?
The blood on the knife didn't specifically belong to Kristoph, in the end. It belonged to a 'close relative.' Closer even than Klavier.
Present Gilligan's profile.
Q: What was the motive for Gilligan's murder?
Money.
As another Gavin heir, Gilligan would have gotten a big chunk of Kurtis's inheritance.
Present the TC-2 file.
WITNESS EIGHT, TESTIMONY TWO:

Q: This isn't a testimony - this is horrible! How can I stop the witness from blowing us up?
If you make Kristoph suspicious, he'll detonate the bomb.
But you need to distract him from his rant somehow.
For all of his 'coolest defense in the West' reputation, he has a very thin skin.
You're going to need help from an unexpected source.
At the statement, 'And nobody can stop me,' try pressing him, and you'll find out that he doesn't think you're intellectually worthy to engage him. Somebody needs to deflate his ego for him.
On that statement, present Hazama's profile, and watch the fireworks!
Q: Where should I move?
If you try to leave, Kristoph will notice. The bailiffs are all locked out, and the doors are too sturdy to break down, anyway. You're stuck without police or protection.
Going to Hazama's side probably won't do any good.
Don't even think of approaching the witness stand.
Go to the evidence table instead.
WITNESS EIGHT, TESTIMONY THREE:

Q: Now what?! The witness is ranting!
What's changed between this testimony and the last? He's still trying to kill you... so not that, I guess?
Your position in the room has changed for the better! Assuming you chose wisely. If not, this is a dead end.
If you're going to beat Kristoph, you'll need to do it with evidence, not a profile.
As Hazama has shown repeatedly during this trial, there's a big difference between photos of evidence in the Court Record, and ACTUAL evidence.
No Super-Present is needed; that's a red herring.
That statement Kristoph makes... 'Your evidence is worthless now!" Is it really true? Think outside the box, Mia!
You can't change his mind, but you can do something else.
Present either gun. Then choose 'Shoot him.'
Whew!
Last edited by Bad Player on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Ping'
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: [CE][T] Turnabout Pairs ○

Post by Ping' »

I wouldn't want to build any sort of unnecessary hype or anything, but this is one of the best cases I have ever played.
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

(Frenchy beta'd it, btw. Full credits are at the end....... of the trial ^^')
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Collabing was interesting. Will consider again.

Also if you think you can theorize, go ahead. Seeing how this is a trolling comp entry, the mystery may or may not be fair. :P

That is all for now. Have fun.
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

wtf
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

;D
DWaM
Spoken languages: English

Post by DWaM »

In the end, they did manage to troll you even before you even actually started the case... :P
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

DudeWithAMask wrote:In the end, they did manage to troll you even before you even actually started the case... :P
Yeah, because you (= BB/Gunpei, not DWAM ^^') didn't believe us when we said we were entering, we then devoted the entire week to convincing you we weren't actually entering.

:teeschlegelsteinhausenberdorf:
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Well, just finished the investigation...
Time to... theorize, I guess.
Spoiler : :
For now, I am going to ASSUME, reasoning is possible and not considered to be completely deceptive and trollish. Here's what I gathered so far:

The entire fireplace/AAI connection is a red herring, that includes the 'scoop' between Brushel and Wocky. Franziska was wrong because the entire fireplace trick actually applies to two completely different rooms (doesn't matter which floor).
DeLite is involved, but isn't actually guilty.

The open window is also some sort of a misdirection, as well.

Now then, onto the actual crime.
I won't even try figuring out who the actual killer is. It's practically impossible, at this point.

Klavier's murder
The key was in the lock when Mia and Maria came to the door.
This is possibly one of the most questionable points I have so far. After all, all Mia did is peek through the hole and see complete darkness. It was from that that she concluded that the key must've been in the lock. An easy explanation could've been that there wasn't a key. ...But there's a problem with that.
The key fell onto the paper. Or, at least, it ended up on the paper. There are two possibilities for this:

The key was actually in the lock and it fell onto the paper when Maria pushed it from the keyhole.
OR
The culprit was in the room and placed the key onto the paper.

Let's assume that the second scenario is what happened - how could have the culprit escaped? ...Heh. Actually, that's not right. Where did the culprit hide? Would be the logical question. We have to keep in mind that both Maria and Mia were in front of the room until Gumshoe arrived. In other words, there would be no way for him to escape, even if he hid in the room.

...There is a way to explain this, however. Gumshoe is an accomplice and Franziska is the culprit. It would make sense. We never actually saw Franziska come to the scene, Gumshoe just told us she was at the scene. It would also make sense, motive-wise, why she would accuse DeLite - she knew what was going on and wanted to take him down, as well in one fell swoop.

Now, onto Kristoph's murder. If we apply this theory to this, then I can answer it like this:
Gumshoe simply lied about the door being locked.
There. Solved.

...Actually... That's it. Screw everything else! This is my theory!

Franziska is the culprit! Gumshoe is an accomplice!
Last edited by DWaM on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meph

Post by Meph »

(By the way, I don't mind if anyone wants to complain and change the rules so that they're more stricter on when showcasing is allowed. This is kind of a loophole in the rules, so there was nothing I could do. :XD:)
Bad Player

Post by Bad Player »

Quite the interesting theory. Obviously, we can't really say more than that xP

Also forgot to mention this, in the investigation alone there isn't all the evidence necessary to completely figure out the case. However, if you have really good intuition, we did provide enough clues/evidence to guess/deduce how the crime went down in general.
DWaM

Re: [T][CE] Turnabout Pairs ○

Post by DWaM »

Also forgot to mention this, in the investigation alone there isn't all the evidence necessary to completely figure out the case. However, if you have really good intuition, we did provide enough clues/evidence to guess/deduce how the crime went down in general.
The crime itself is also quite interesting. One locked room is one thing. A second locked room that ties into another is something completely different. I might theorize some more and try to come up with a different solution, but this is the best I can come up with. The crux might actually lie in which one of those two was killed first... Hm...
...In any case, I'm hoping that the secret passages have nothing to do with this... I really do. >_>
EDIT: The incredibly random roster of characters doesn't help, either...
Last edited by DWaM on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Oy oy, keep those spoilers tagged. :P
What's better than a locked room? Two locked room! ;D
So far, those "hidden" passages have not even been confirmed to exist and you already hope they're not involved. XD
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Ack! Sorry...
Spoiler : Response :
So far, those "hidden" passages have not even been confirmed and you already hope they're not involved. XD
It's not hard to guess, considering all the hints and everything that's implied...
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Wait. Unofficial ToC sequel? I will play this today, that's for sure.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."