Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (UPPPPDAAAAATTTTEEEE is here!)

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

lazyplague
Spoken languages: English

Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (Prepare Aug 19)

Post by lazyplague »

Hey it's happening on my birthday.
Neat.:3
This sounds cool I'll try it.
Radex

Post by Radex »

nudalman wrote:Looking forward to it, seems like an interesting update. ;)

I wonder about these personal notes...
I wouldn't worry too much about them, they add more fun to the large update.
Detective Equius wrote:Hey it's happening on my birthday.
Neat.:3
This sounds cool I'll try it.
Hehe, if you have a slow computer, the memory bug from PWLib 1.1 will really slow it down which is why I am trying to make the AAO version (which I haven't started yet).

The update is seriously getting bigger and much better. And oh, happy soon birthday :D.
AARJ Episode 1: Whipping Turnabouts Released!: http://www.aceattorney.sparklin.org/for ... 50&start=0
Deviantart: http://www.adradex.deviantart.com
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Ooh Radex is posting this update when it's still early Aug 19, and not REALLY REALLY Aug 19th...

Let it be known: Radex treats his fans better than Capcom themselves do.

EDIT: He signed off maybe not :(

Well it seemed too good to be true anyway.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Radex

Post by Radex »

“Re:tracer”

Size matters (lol).
Yeah, it's 11:18 PM but I am too excited to wait and since other timezones are at Aug 19, I will take advantage of that! HAHAHAAAAA!

It has been a year now since I have started this project. I would usually do my constant update stream, but for this particular phase of the project, I felt I needed to show a little more substance. So, this will be long, but I’ll try to keep it interesting.

Re:tracer trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYQJXZ3C6cs
Revisit the trailer for the memories!

Re:tracer Dev Diary #1
I am probably overly ambitious, but when I haven’t? I always have wondered if murder is really necessary for an Ace Attorney fangame. I am not excluding death in general, but murder specifically. Sure, there is a great fascination of the surrealistic quality in murder, but I wonder if that overshadows (plenty) many themes and motifs that the games could have shown? Is murder needed to move points across? Anyway, Re:tracer is quite an experiment *cough* when has this game not been experimental *cough*?
"Look at the buttons and background behind them!"
All inspirations aside, I wanted to make this game different (and better) by any means of creativity. I mean, who would have thought of the sun being in your eyes as a contradiction, haha? Or the creative use of life bar/game over mechanics? Or using movies to present the beginning and ending of the episode? (Seriously, I wish I had PWLib 1.2 to present, but at the moment, I am secretly working on the design art before talking to KSA to actually start that long overdue book project.) Re:tracer is an attempt to present an understandable, but surrealistic story over multiple characters. I want to try to not use murder in order to move the story, but that is probably the easiest thing to do in this episode. The hard part is maintaining interest with the lack of murder going on. That and just good dialogue.

Re:tracer could be hard, but I don’t think it will be that hard. It won’t blow your head off or smash your face by the sheer difficulty. It is more relaxing than Whipping Turnabouts in my opinion.

Anyway, I said in a previous update that this is how Re:tracer will work (as bluntly stated):
  • You will play through many characters, some, but not all are: Apollo, Phoenix, and Edgeworth.
  • Re:tracer further fleshes out the premise set by Whipping Turnabouts.
  • Time is hardly linear; you will go back and forth for each respective character.
  • Each episode has a connection and each character, new and old, has an important part in how Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice is presented. Similarly like AAI.
  • Subtle details convey a huge amount of the story. They are a story of their own. Yes, yes, some are allusions and what not, so it is a hit or miss.
  • Courtroom portions of the game are intended to put you in a position where you go blindsided. What I mean is that you go straight into them without any background knowledge and your source of information is the court record. So, some might feel forced or sudden. After all, you are going through multiple perspectives. It is a matter of connecting them yourself.
  • Unfortunately, there is no murder to push the story; only character motivations.
So, there you go and with all technicalities presented. Now, the more fun part.

Phoenix Wright
"Get the “Rising” in Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice? GET IT?! GEEEEETTTT EEEEETTT?!! ROFLWAFFLE!"
From badass to bigger badass, Phoenix is back. Yes, yes, I know the risks and clichés (people have done) involved. Phoenix getting his badge; Phoenix is back, yadadadadayaaaa. I am playing with an overused idea and making it actually work. If you have played Whipping Turnabouts, then you know something about this. Let me say, everything that I have done in Whipping Turnabouts, shows a multitude of layers of subtleties to present my story.
"All Phoenix did was returning the favor that she did on this one day."
I extensively thought about the interactions and thematic approaches in this game. I created many reflections of the previous games, which led to the surprising ending (that Tap and a few others mentioned of). That was my favorite part to do in that episode.

===================

Picking off from Whipping Turnabouts, here is Phoenix Wright!
A work in progress.
Credits to Ceres.
Ceres’ CR Sprite Thread: http://www.forums.court-records.net/vie ... =12&t=9690
Ceres’ GS5 Phoenix Wright Sheet: http://i40.tinypic.com/5tt9hi.png
Through splicing, shaping and coloring using as Ceres’ GS5 Phoenix as a base, here it is! I don’t know what to say, but Ceres you have seriously have inspired me to continue this project despite all frustration. I seriously I hope I can do some justice for your awesome work. Now, in regards to that, I am just a budding spriter. Maybe less than twelve hours of experience total. Painting (oil, acrylic, etc.) to spriting is close to water and oil in terms of style and execution. I felt I was relearning the basics lol. The only thing I can do is get better. I do have to prepare a certain character’s (custom) sprites, so it is somewhat needed, haha.

===================
Comparisons wrote:
ImageImageImage
"Comparing features such as proportion and color."
I just love how Phoenix’s story connects to the overall story in Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice. And to slightly spoil, yes of course there are going to be court cases (with him). Wait, is that even a spoiler? I could and can talk about the others, but then I wouldn’t be able to do a constant stream of updates (probably) :(.

===================
“GS5 Phoenix Wright Front View”
Design by Ceres and Shu Takumi
Re:tracer Script wrote:Phoenix: If you are going to say something Apollo, say it now.
Use it in context of the picture and let your imagination fly :D. There are more excerpts down below. They could be chronological or maybe not. It all depends.
“GS5 Phoenix Wright Front View Outline”
Re:tracer Script wrote:Phoenix: Care for a cup of coffee?
Also, please don’t use it, eventually there will be a point when I will release the front viewing sprites alongside with Re:tracer. I would be really grateful. It is a huge work in progress. Two to three hours in so far. This one is pretty much made from scratch (with the exception of the necklace which is spliced on for proportion purposes). Oh, did I mention I did that through a trackpad? And gotta love references (they help a lot)!

===================
Pen tool makes drawing easier with trackpad or mouse but there are some setbacks such as crooked lines...
Re:tracer Script wrote:Apollo: What the...
Phoenix: What? Didn’t I tell you?
Phoenix: I’m back.
So, a bit of a Dev Diary. I worked out the shape with the pen tool and using a 1px pencil setting in Photoshop. The edges are jagged and uneven which makes shading difficult for me, so I used a 1px brush to outline the coat collar and make its shadows.

===================
"Brushes makes things much smoother, but they can easily ruin the AA style shading if not used properly."
Re:tracer Script wrote:Phoenix: Another time, Apollo.
Phoenix: I have some work to do.
I am assuming it is somewhat taboo to use the brush setting with the pen tool since it creates a much larger color palette, but I’ll use mainly for the inside of the coat (especially the lapels), but not the outer edges (e.g. arms). When I do use it, it creates 3-4 more shades of color with a 1px brush.

===================
"One color! One base! Ummm, no shades?"
Re:tracer script wrote:Phoenix: Now, when did I ever start joking?
???: When haven’t you been joking?
Phoenix: You got a point there.
I always start out with the lightest color as the base and on this occasion went on to using the darkest color of my color palette in order to define shadows.

===================

Let me tell you, I hate painting the eyes and hair in spriting; they are seriously a huge pain. I would say those features are the hardest to paint. Hair is far easier than it is to paint eyes all because how confined the space is for eyes. Hair you simply have to create a flow of direction to create shape.

I could say that the sprite is close to finishing, but I still have a lot of work to do. For someone who has maybe what, more or less than 12 hours worth of spriting experience, I think it is pretty well done. My next focus is to work on my animating skills in sprites. Wish me luck :D.

Other Characters
If I can get skilled enough, I think I can do further editing and sprite making. I already mentioned that you would learn their story. Nothing much to put here for the time being. Here are the characters that need to be created:
  • (Sgt.) Amari Lassard
  • Maya
  • Pearl
  • Apollo’s “opponent” that Phoenix is currently facing
  • Alexander Ethos (maybe), depends if I want to really show Franziska’s story this episode or the next
  • “A doctor.”
Expected Night Scenes
Things are little more reclusive in the night scene phase of the game. And by reclusive, I mean potentially law-breaking. And by breaking, I mean breaking doors. And by doors, I mean windows. And by windows, ah you know what I mean. At least you get inside the places.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
All of them might be there; all of them might not. I think it is fairly obvious why I would create night scenes for these areas. The story is deep as going back to the first game. So, if you remember the games, their stories should help you understand what Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice is going for. I am hoping it is elaborate enough to make the story that much more fulfilling. Each story has something to connect.

My problem with night scenes, as an artist, is that the characters are not shaded properly to handle night scenes. It would be more work, and it really a small problem. Severe diminishing returns.

Personal Notes
To make this somewhat personal, I got some return comments :D

nudalman – Hey, psst, nudal, what happen to the review of my episode :(? Let’s do a trade, my review for your review, haha, joking and no worries. I’ll give my review of your fangame as soon as possible. It shouldn’t take me too long now that I finished dorm shopping.

Ping – I got this up in a loop, and by loop, I mean the music. Yep. Turned version 0.90 into a 0.91. I will say, you are right to believe in me that I’ll get it done even with hiatuses.

Tap – Hi. AA:JM is on hiatus, eh? I might be able to catch up lol. That is if I can animate and create my sprites quick enough. :)

Manson – Hi. :)

Mimi Mika, Phantom and a bunch of others – Yeah, I am going to try and work this fast enough and get this long overdue conversion of Whipping Turnabouts into AAO.

Everyone – Yeah, you know I always have been wondering, when the hell did this My Little Pony fandom started? I recently seen it growing on the websites I go to.

BBblader - It's 11 PM Pacific here as I am typing this. I am way ahead of schedule, haha.

:( - I wish embedding YouTube videos is allowed here, even though I am a minority in this situation, it would help keeping everything on the same page.

PWLib and AAO
Anyway, it is long overdue, but hopefully I can get the AAO version of Whipping Turnabouts out. I will still prioritize PWLib over any other medium. As to how long it would take me to create an AAO version, well, won’t know till mid way. To keep this on an even ground, I will try to release both versions on the same timescale, minimum between 2-3 days apart in release.

As for PWLib, I haven’t talked to KSA in a while and have been busy with so many tests at my high school. It is pretty much my fault. Now, I am working on the art/assets before giving him any notice; that way the only thing needed to be done is the actual substance.

I know while PWLib is my priority, it would be nice to move this topic into the Trials forum now that I am going to begin the AAO version of Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice.

Things to Expect
  • Emphasis on maybe. MAYBE. I will show a stream of updates on my spriting (edits, customs, etc.) for Re:tracer. I used Phoenix Wright as an example, so, if you want more I’ll post it in both here and my art thread.
  • I seriously recommend using Celtx, it will help so much on organizing your storyboard for your fangame or other media stuff. After all, it is used a lot in scripting scenes for movies and stuff. Reason why I say this is because I will release my script on Whipping Turnabouts to give some ideas how I handled my case. I might release it in a .txt if I have to.
  • More previews of Re:tracer.
  • Whipping Turnabouts in AAO. Speaking of it, I will make it somewhat easier and will further fix the script (and of its grammatical errors). Remember, the episode I gave you is a full-fledge beta. I will start soon. Anyway, college begins a week from now for me. So, it might be somewhat slower to create.
Thank you for reading this! I hope I kept you interested in this update!
Last edited by Radex on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
AARJ Episode 1: Whipping Turnabouts Released!: http://www.aceattorney.sparklin.org/for ... 50&start=0
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (UPPPPPPDAAAAATTTTEEEE! Au

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Oh wow

Wow and damn

WOW AND DAMN THAT'S SOME GREAT ARTWORK.

Great to see progress again, keep it up.

Just a few things: Koopakirby has proven that "Feenie-weenie gets his badgie-wadgie back" cases can be interesting and original: I'd highly recommend playing "Reinstate the Turnabout" to see an example of that when you get a minute. It starts out a bit cliche but that's the point, just roll with it. Plus you have had a good bit of fun with the typical formula already so I'm confident you can bring something new to the typical NICK IS BACK LOL deal.

As for the MLP thing, long story short it's just a good show. Nothing more to it. Not for everyone but nothing is. Check it out when you get a minute, it just might be your thing.

WRT to the AAO version do you want some help with that? I could tune a few things for you but I'll try not to mess with the wording of the script.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Radex

Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (UPPPPPPDAAAAATTTTEEEE! Au

Post by Radex »

BBblader© wrote:Oh wow

Wow and damn

WOW AND DAMN THAT'S SOME GREAT ARTWORK.

Great to see progress again, keep it up.

Just a few things: Koopakirby has proven that "Feenie-weenie gets his badgie-wadgie back" cases can be interesting and original: I'd highly recommend playing "Reinstate the Turnabout" to see an example of that when you get a minute. It starts out a bit cliche but that's the point, just roll with it. Plus you have had a good bit of fun with the typical formula already so I'm confident you can bring something new to the typical NICK IS BACK LOL deal.

As for the MLP thing, long story short it's just a good show. Nothing more to it. Not for everyone but nothing is. Check it out when you get a minute, it just might be your thing.

WRT to the AAO version do you want some help with that? I could tune a few things for you but I'll try not to mess with the wording of the script.
Thank you BB :D. Yeah, I am really proud to be able to create a scratch GS5 front viewing sprite of Phoenix especially considering that I barely started in spriting. I'll check that out and see if Koopakirby's case relates to what I have planned out, hehe. Hmmm, I also saw at the RoosterTeeth website that there are "Bronies" in that MLP fandom. Gotta love memes. Possibly I might need help, won't know till I start the AAO version project; I might start it on Saturday. I am going to try to release the Whipping Turnabouts script as soon as possible.
Radex

Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (UPPPPDAAAAATTTTEEEE is he

Post by Radex »

Small update.

I have good news and I have slow news.

Good news is that I started the AAO AA:RJ project. The slow news is, well, quite a bit of family time I have left before college. So, in due time. :D
Koda

Post by Koda »

Aah the review... Forgot about that... Better find that...

Anyways, epiiiiiic update. :D
Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Post by Mimi »

Yay~~~ Conversion has finally begun! :awesome:
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Radex wrote:Hehe, if you have a slow computer, the memory bug from PWLib 1.1 will really slow it down which is why I am trying to make the AAO version (which I haven't started yet).

Yeah i have a slow computer.So I'll wait until that version.^^'
Thanks for telling me.:3
Radex

Post by Radex »

Right now for maybe about a week or so, gotta bear with me. Just adjusting to university and all. To give a note, the days I am open the most are Tuesdays, Thursdays, and the weekends. Those are the likely times I would give updates to the project especially the AAO version. Stay tuned.
Koda

Post by Koda »

Hey Radex, finally found my review, but was surprised that only the first part is saved.

So I can:

- Play again and finish the review
- Post what I have and give a general comments.
Radex

Post by Radex »

nudalman wrote:Hey Radex, finally found my review, but was surprised that only the first part is saved.

So I can:

- Play again and finish the review
- Post what I have and give a general comments.
It's fine :D. I will be sure to give yours soon, university has been a fun time for me lol