Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (UPPPPDAAAAATTTTEEEE is here!)

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Radex
Spoken languages: English

Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (Episode 1 Released! 11/8)

Post by Radex »

Quadratic wrote:Screw it, I'm still drawing a blank, after 3 hours of this. I give up.
A gift to you, check your pm. The least I can do.

Heh, I am very ruthless and cutthroat with that CE ;). I'm sorry that have to put you through that.
Episode 1: Whipping Turnabouts 1.1
Link (165.43 MB): http://www.mediafire.com/?kiazh74ylnc1p9l
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FJ2SF6L5

If you have downloaded the game before November 10, 2010 at 8:36 PM (Pacific Standard Time) download this (AARJ_EP1.hlsl) correction: http://www.mediafire.com/?72os07oj9ya8awu

Place AARJ_EP1.hlsl, in the cases folder. It fixes plenty of grammar issues in there and some bugs.

Thank you for your suggestions, advice, criticisms, and praises.
AARJ Episode 1: Whipping Turnabouts Released!: http://www.aceattorney.sparklin.org/for ... 50&start=0
Deviantart: http://www.adradex.deviantart.com
Quadratic

Post by Quadratic »

Wooh, I finally finished it, I think.
Spoiler : WOAH PLOT SPOILERS :
I love the way you used Kristoph to illustrate your points. The Jurist system has it's flaws, just like any other system.

That being said...
Why not just have the endings at the end, instead of giving a code for them?
Yeah, just take the video files, convert them to a .gif, and run that in PyWright, along with the music file.

As for the endings:
#1: Woah, didn't expect him to be brought up again. It was a nice ending, there was a few times I chuckled.
#2: ...
WHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!
Definitely looking forward to the second case. :3

And now... the problems I had with it:
Grammar and spelling, kinda.
The difficulty of the trial begins low, and quickly escalates to high. If this is the first of a trial series, it should be a bit easier than the others.
The CE's near the end force the player to see the trial through the creator's eyes, not from another perspective. The penalties make the player reluctant to Press statements, and it reaches the point where you can't Press more than 10 statements. This makes some of the mandatory penalties a lot harsher than they should be.

Other than that, great job. xD
Finished Trials:
Turnabout Transfer - Day One: http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/jeu.php?id_proces=19354

FABULOUS!
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

...Really, I just bit the bullet and pressed everything on the final
Spoiler : spoilers :
beatable CE.
The penalties were seriously too small to cause any sort of intimidation :/
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Radex

Post by Radex »

Quadratic wrote:Wooh, I finally finished it, I think.
I love the way you used Kristoph to illustrate your points. The Jurist system has it's flaws, just like any other system.
Glad you like it ;). Thank you for noticing that.

That being said...
Yeah, just take the video files, convert them to a .gif, and run that in PyWright, along with the music file.

As for the endings:
#1: Woah, didn't expect him to be brought up again. It was a nice ending, there was a few times I chuckled.

The difficulty of the trial begins low, and quickly escalates to high. If this is the first of a trial series, it should be a bit easier than the others.
The CE's near the end force the player to see the trial through the creator's eyes, not from another perspective. The penalties make the player reluctant to Press statements, and it reaches the point where you can't Press more than 10 statements. This makes some of the mandatory penalties a lot harsher than they should be.

That being said...
Two words. Screw that. You would be surprised how much of a pain it is to deal with Adobe Premiere Pro. It's not that easy; I would have problems syncing with the music as well = \ . I literally look at milliseconds just to get the right beat for the right moment. If I were to do that, I am risking the possibility of messed up syncing whether it is due to lag or another reason. The amount of frames would make the work be tedious, very tedious. Plus, I do not want to use PyWright. I chose PWLib for various reasons. One, to showcase the level of art; for example, the changes of the buttons. I wanted it to be a unique fangame of its own.

The other is that the movies are meant to be played in PWLib 1.2, when it comes out. It has an embedded player that PyWright does not have. In a way, this is a beta form. The movies are step-up in making intros/endings that a person would do. So far, I am the only one to do it. I chose PWLib as my medium, as you would choose AAO or PyWright for your medium, we have our reasons. I'm the kind of person to not care what medium is used as long the things that we want to present, are presented.

As for the endings:
Hm, I wonder, who "him" is ;)?

Hehe, who would have expected? Glad to hear that man :D

I revised the stuff; I'm sure there are grammar errors in there still, but at least I lessened the mistakes. I seriously need to get proofreaders. Seriously lol, no matter how good of a writer you may be, proofreaders are like a must. Mistakes will be there. I did this project pretty much all by myself. It was not easy lol. I could have done part-by-part betas like Ping did, but no, I decided to release a full episode. I wanted to have people help me correct it for PWLib 1.2.

I won't go easy. This is like "serious-mode" GS5. I will be hard and I will be harsh. You HAVE to THINK and LOOK for the subtle details.. It's designed to be a struggle for symbolic reasons. Think of why is it so easy from the beginning and suddenly it became hard. What is the metaphoric reason? Now, this does not answer that question, but things are not meant to be fair. Things come out unexpectedly, and the only thing that can be done, is simply take it and think it thoroughly.

This is my serious attempt at a serious story ;).

Unless I am misinterpreting the first statement, the problem with your argument is that any CE is basically like that. There is only one answer really. Especially if you want to progress. Yes, you can look it at other ways, but only one answer comes up. That is the problem of the formula of the AA games. I guess I made it more apparent.

Well, the first reason would be for story purposes. The second reason is that I intentionally wanted to cause frustration. I wanted make it worth a feat to be able to beat it. That's why I am giving it a week because it would be really a feat to beat this episode. I gave some life back because of those penalties. The life given is equal to the penalties, in a way, expected perfection, just adds more difficulty. I want to cause doubt.

Thank you for taking the time to play the game, seriously 3 hours on that CE, total respect on your patience and determination.
My answers are in red. Thank you for your comment :pearlhappy: You are the fourth person to be beat it :D
BBblader wrote:...Really, I just bit the bullet and pressed everything on the final
beatable CE.
Spoiler : :
If you are referring to the end with the no-evidence present question, it is because I wanted to have the player try to present everything as much as possible and make the player realize and question why is it not working.

If you are referring to the 6th examination (1st Edgeworth CE) then it is because I didn't want the pressing to be too intimidating, rather, I want the player to take it head on, brush it off, say screw it (xD), and find out what to do next. The penalties are designed to be as red-herrings. They are meant to cause a little bit of doubt on the statement's validity due to its failure to uphold itself. It varies from person to person.
Good criticisms, guys. Keep it going; it really helps.
AARJ Episode 1: Whipping Turnabouts Released!: http://www.aceattorney.sparklin.org/for ... 50&start=0
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

Playing it now. It's great, but the opening where you just
examine everything
really irritated me, especially since the "Examine" button appears whether or not there is actually anything to examine. Other than that, though, it's great so far.
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
Radex

Post by Radex »

SuperGanondorf wrote:Playing it now. It's great, but the opening where you just
examine everything
really irritated me, especially since the "Examine" button appears whether or not there is actually anything to examine. Other than that, though, it's great so far.
Hehe, not everyone will like it :D. But, I have said something of its meaning, despite how seemingly meaningless it seems.

Quick question, aren't the actual AA games like that too? The "no clues here" reference I mean. It is just that since this game does not do it automatically; you have to spend time clicking that area then click examine. A double click option would seriously be nice.

Glad you are enjoying it.
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

Radex wrote:Quick question, aren't the actual AA games like that too? The "no clues here" reference I mean. It is just that since this game does not do it automatically; you have to spend time clicking that area then click examine. A double click option would seriously be nice.
The games do work like that, but in the official games the "Examine" button disappears unless there is actually something to examine (though the A button will yield the "No clues here" message if pressed then), which lets you spend less time examining needless points. That's what I was referring to.

Loving it so far. There are some grammatical errors here and there, but overall it is great. I'm on the part where
Gumshoe is explaining the crime.
You've nailed the characters' personalities, at least thus far.
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
Radex

Post by Radex »

SuperGanondorf wrote:
Radex wrote:Quick question, aren't the actual AA games like that too? The "no clues here" reference I mean. It is just that since this game does not do it automatically; you have to spend time clicking that area then click examine. A double click option would seriously be nice.
The games do work like that, but in the official games the "Examine" button disappears unless there is actually something to examine (though the A button will yield the "No clues here" message if pressed then), which lets you spend less time examining needless points. That's what I was referring to.

Loving it so far. There are some grammatical errors here and there, but overall it is great. I'm on the part where
Gumshoe is explaining the crime.
You've nailed the characters' personalities, at least thus far.

Hehe, you're not the only one to say it :p (GRAMMAR... GR-GRAMMAR.. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAMMER (Bad pun)). Glad I achieved in matching the chars' personalities :D.
Quadratic

Post by Quadratic »

Radex wrote:
Quadratic wrote:Wooh, I finally finished it, I think.
Glad you like it ;). Thank you for noticing that.

That being said...

As for the endings:

That being said...
Two words. Screw that. You would be surprised how much of a pain it is to deal with Adobe Premiere Pro. It's not that easy; I would have problems syncing with the music as well = \ . I literally look at milliseconds just to get the right beat for the right moment. If I were to do that, I am risking the possibility of messed up syncing whether it is due to lag or another reason. The amount of frames would make the work be tedious, very tedious. Plus, I do not want to use PyWright. I chose PWLib for various reasons. One, to showcase the level of art; for example, the changes of the buttons. I wanted it to be a unique fangame of its own.

The other is that the movies are meant to be played in PWLib 1.2, when it comes out. It has an embedded player that PyWright does not have. In a way, this is a beta form. The movies are step-up in making intros/endings that a person would do. So far, I am the only one to do it. I chose PWLib as my medium, as you would choose AAO or PyWright for your medium, we have our reasons. I'm the kind of person to not care what medium is used as long the things that we want to present, are presented.

As for the endings:
Hm, I wonder, who "him" is ;)?

Hehe, who would have expected? Glad to hear that man :D

I revised the stuff; I'm sure there are grammar errors in there still, but at least I lessened the mistakes. I seriously need to get proofreaders. Seriously lol, no matter how good of a writer you may be, proofreaders are like a must. Mistakes will be there. I did this project pretty much all by myself. It was not easy lol. I could have done part-by-part betas like Ping did, but no, I decided to release a full episode. I wanted to have people help me correct it for PWLib 1.2.

I won't go easy. This is like "serious-mode" GS5. I will be hard and I will be harsh. You HAVE to THINK and LOOK for the subtle details.. It's designed to be a struggle for symbolic reasons. Think of why is it so easy from the beginning and suddenly it became hard. What is the metaphoric reason? Now, this does not answer that question, but things are not meant to be fair. Things come out unexpectedly, and the only thing that can be done, is simply take it and think it thoroughly.

This is my serious attempt at a serious story ;).

Unless I am misinterpreting the first statement, the problem with your argument is that any CE is basically like that. There is only one answer really. Especially if you want to progress. Yes, you can look it at other ways, but only one answer comes up. That is the problem of the formula of the AA games. I guess I made it more apparent.

Well, the first reason would be for story purposes. The second reason is that I intentionally wanted to cause frustration. I wanted make it worth a feat to be able to beat it. That's why I am giving it a week because it would be really a feat to beat this episode. I gave some life back because of those penalties. The life given is equal to the penalties, in a way, expected perfection, just adds more difficulty. I want to cause doubt.

Thank you for taking the time to play the game, seriously 3 hours on that CE, total respect on your patience and determination.
My answers are in red. Thank you for your comment :pearlhappy: You are the fourth person to be beat it :D
BBblader wrote:...Really, I just bit the bullet and pressed everything on the final
beatable CE.
If you are referring to the end with the no-evidence present question, it is because I wanted to have the player try to present everything as much as possible and make the player realize and question why is it not working.

If you are referring to the 6th examination (1st Edgeworth CE) then it is because I didn't want the pressing to be too intimidating, rather, I want the player to take it head on, brush it off, say screw it (xD), and find out what to do next. The penalties are designed to be as red-herrings. They are meant to cause a little bit of doubt on the statement's validity due to its failure to uphold itself. It varies from person to person.
Good criticisms, guys. Keep it going; it really helps.
4th? I thought I was 3rd... :c
Well, sorry I mixed up PyWright and PWLib. xD
But what I mean about the about the ending is...
1) Use a program like Super C to convert the video file to a .gif
2) Code that .gif into the ending, with the background music, whatever you have to do.

It shouldn't really. take all that long to do. In fact, I could do it for you right now... the conversion, that is. o-o
Finished Trials:
Turnabout Transfer - Day One: http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/jeu.php?id_proces=19354

FABULOUS!
Radex

Post by Radex »

Quadratic wrote:4th? I thought I was 3rd... :c
Well, sorry I mixed up PyWright and PWLib. xD
But what I mean about the about the ending is...
1) Use a program like Super C to convert the video file to a .gif
2) Code that .gif into the ending, with the background music, whatever you have to do.

It shouldn't really. take all that long to do. In fact, I could do it for you right now... the conversion, that is. o-o
Karel (from CR) beat you to it and out of no where too O.O...
createanimation("case1_p1",0);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",1,50000,50);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",1,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",2,50001,5);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",2,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",3,50002,5);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",3,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",4,50003,5);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",4,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",5,50004,5);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",5,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",6,50005,5);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",6,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",7,50006,5);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",7,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",8,50007,5);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",8,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",9,50008,3);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",9,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",10,50009,3);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",10,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",11,50010,3);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",11,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",12,50011,3);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",12,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",13,50012,3);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",13,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p1",14,50013,3);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",14,0,0,256,255);

createanimation("case1_p2",0);
insertanimationframe("case1_p2",1,50014,25);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",1,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p2",2,50015,25);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",2,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p2",3,50016,25);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",3,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p2",4,50017,25);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",4,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p2",5,50018,25);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",5,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p2",6,50019,25);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",6,0,0,256,255);
insertanimationframe("case1_p2",7,50020,25);
setanimationframetexturecoordinates("case1_p1",7,0,0,256,255);
That intro was made for DDRKhat's Case 1-1 intro. A few seconds and compare if I were to do a few minutes.

I suppose I could make a quick test on it, but I am stubborn to do it <_<.. I am not too sure if it can play .gifs in 1.1. 1.2 is a sure thing. If I'm right, which I have to ask to be sure, I would have to do it frame by frame.
Radex

Post by Radex »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"...When?"
The things you may see are subjected to change. Congrats to BBblader, Tap, and Karel for being the first three to beat the episode. Whipping Turnabouts is a success; I received the minimum that I wanted and something more. Many thought it was great; it was something unexpected and unique. Thank you.

There are still surprises that has yet to come. And a DevDiary 1.5 needing to be released.

But, welcome to... Re:tracer...
Radex

Post by Radex »

"Update 11/22"

"What is Re:tracer?"
I'll let you think on that.

Episode 2: Re:tracer trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYQJXZ3C6cs

Hoping for more reviews :D. Eventually, I'll release DevDiary 1.5. It's been done. I just haven't put the time to post it.

Personal reasons for my inactivity (again). I'll see you guys, later. (Oh, I'll get that *cough* request *cough* done soon.)
Radex

Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (Episode 2 trailer! 11/22)

Post by Radex »

"Development Diary #1.5"

Spoiler : Development Diary #1.5 :
Welcome. Allow me to show you the development process of Episode 1: Whipping Turnabouts and the beginning development of Episode 2: Re:tracer.

This DevDiary will be composed of two parts, hence the 1.5. It will be long, but, I'll try to keep it interesting.
Episode 1: Whipping Turnabouts wrote:References
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney wrote:Case 1-1.
This case has a significant influence over this episode. In what ways? The crime scene, to say it simply. The crime in Whipping Turnabouts occurred in Gatewater, simple enough, right? It gets interesting here. The crime occurred near a (certain *wink*) room that we all know and love. It references part of Phoenix's first investigation.

Case 1-4.
Franziska von Karma wrote:......
I don't know.
It was just there.
And I picked it up without thinking.
It is the ironic representation of the events that has occurred with Edgeworth in 1-4.

I understand, overused idea. So is the Phoenix getting his badge back. What matters is the execution of these ideas.

Think about this as I have said to BBblader.

The relationship between Edgeworth and Franziska is an interesting one. Think of the irony involved, especially dealing with Edgeworth, the prosecutor dealing with this case. You know those random "......" that he used throughout the game? They were suggestions to his thoughts. Very SUBTLE suggestions; it heavily depended on player understanding. One of those thoughts from Edgeworth was about his past when he picked up the gun WITHOUT THINKING. Remember how Franziska commented that case was the starting of his "death" in PW:AA:JFA? While Edgeworth wasn't there to hear it personally, think of the irony that Edgeworth is thinking about, especially to one that is close to him. Think of Franziska's irony and what she may feel on the matter.

That is why I said, look and think heavily. I am using overused ideas, but I am playing with execution. There is so much subtlety in the back-stories. There is so much to look for in Whipping Turnabouts other than the case itself. The characterizations, the uses of irony, and the references are there to bring a much larger story.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All wrote:Case 2-4.
The episode is dependent on the Shelly de Killer card that Maya drew on. We never actually know what happens to the card and I felt it was a wasted opportunity by Takumi/Capcom to not use the card, well, of the events that we know of right now. As I have said previous times, I wanted to have some characters to return. Franziska is one of them. Arguably, Franziska and that card are the most important in this episode. I'll talk about Franziska and the card later.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations wrote:Case 3-3 and Case 3-5.
These two are mainly used for fun quotes, such as Godot's "if something is not normal, then it's not possible, then where does that leave off..." But it also brings the spirit (metaphorically) of a character back. ;). As said before, I'll discuss this later.
Beginning
This is probably one of the most interesting parts of the game. It's how the game starts, hehe. So, I promised Dypo that I would show how the game developed over time with the beginning. Here are two things. The Episode 1 intro and scene 1.
WIP Beginning: Intro wrote: [Steel Samurai Ringtone]
Phone: *beep*
Phoenix: Wright, here.
Franziska: I need your help.
Phoenix: Oh? It's you. It's been a while.
Franziska: I heard it from him that you recently reinstated your badge.
Phoenix: Huh, so he told you.
Franziska: Could you come to the Detention Center?
Phoenix: I'll be there.
Franziska: So, is that a yes then?
Phoenix: When will it start?
Franziska: Three days from now. It'll start at 1PM.
Phoenix: Alright, I'll be there.
[wait]
Phoenix: Apollo, you there?
Apollo: Mr. Wright? What do you need?
Phoenix: I need you to be in Court House\nthree days from now.
Phoenix: I'll explain later.
WIP Beginning: Scene 1 wrote:Franziska: Why are you wearing clothes like that Phoenix Wright?!
[Franziska whips.]
Phoenix: I see that you still have that habit of saying full names, Franziska von Karma.
[Franziska whips.]
Phoenix: And that whipping habit.
Franziska: Why?!
Phoenix: Oh? I didn't tell you?
Phoenix: I lost my badge. [laughing]
[Franziska whips.]
Franziska: I thought you reinstated your badge recently!
Phoenix: Oh... That's right...
Phoenix: I did. [laughing]
[Door opens.]
Trucy: Polly!
Apollo: Hey Trucy. Hey Mr. Wright.
Apollo: So, what's up?
Trucy: Daddy is just talking to that lady with the whip.
[Franziska whips.]
Franziska: You expect me to believe that HE'S defending me?
Phoenix: ... [Gant stare] (Using HoboPhoenix serious mode)
Phoenix: Whipping me won't change anything, Franziska.
Franziska: ..!
Phoenix: Trust him.
Phoenix: Plus, he has a perfect win record that you love so very much.
Franziska: He's your student?
Phoenix: You could say that.
Apollo [thinking]: (Student? What student?)
Franziska: ...Fine.
[Franziska whips Apollo.]
Apollo [thinking]: (YEOCH!!!)
Franziska: I suppose I should introduce myself.
Franziska: Franziska von Karma, prosecuting prodigy.
Apollo: ...von Karma? Wait, FRANZISKA VON KARMA?!
Franziska: So you heard of me?
Apollo: Y-Yes. A-Apollo Justice! A defense attorney like Mr. Wright was!
Franziska: Was?
Franziska: You haven't told him?
Phoenix: Nope.
Apollo [thinking]: (Huh?)
Franziska: I see.
Franziska: You are a loud one, Apollo Justice.
Franziska: Just like him.
Franzsika: Have you prepared him for the case?
Phoenix: Nope, he's practically gonna wing it.
Apollo [thinking]: (And you are telling me this now? Great...)
[Franiska whips Apollo.]
Franziska: Foolish student of a foolish fool who foolishly lost his badge.
Franziska: I expect more from you, Apollo Justice!
Franziska: Especially if you are the foolish student of that foolish fool!
Apollo [thinking]: (I get it already. I'm a fool.)
[Franziska whips Apollo.]
Apollo: YEEEEEEEOWWWWWUCCCCCCCCCHH!
Franziska: I expect a clean and perfect aquittal.
[Franziska leaves.]
Trucy: She seems nice.
Phoenix: Franziska can be like that sometimes.
Apollo: But why did she whip me? Not once. But TWO times.
Phoenix: I believe she was merely greeting and saying her goodbyes to you.
Phoenix: For a second there, I thought you were about to scream.
Apollo [thinking]: But I did scream.
Trucy: Daddy!
Phoenix: Haha, sorry Trucy.
Apollo: I remember she said was in a question.
Apollo: Does that mean you got your badge back? And why did you?
Phoenix: Apollo, it doesn't matter right now.
Apollo: B-But..
Phoenix: Right now, you are the one defending her.
Apollo: Why are you having me defend her when she specifically requested you?
Apollo: And I'm sure you have more knowledge on this case.
Apollo: In fact, I don't even know anything about this case.
Phoenix: Well, for one, the whip.
Apollo [thinking]: (Oh, so you want me to have a full leather course meal of whiplashes...)
Phoenix: And second, I need you to be able to understand the bigger scope of this trial.
Apollo: ..?
Apollo: What do you mean?
Phoenix: ...
Apollo: Hold it!
Apollo: M-Mr. Wri-
Trucy: Good luck, Polly!
Apollo: Wait, Trucy, you're not assisting me in this trial?
Trucy: No, Daddy said that he is going to be the one assisting you.
Trucy: But I will be watching from the gallery.
Apollo: Wait, WHAT?!
Phoenix: Let's go, Apollo.
I assume you played the episode or at least played the beginning. Do you see how much has changed from this old script to the new beginning (the current intro and investigation phase) that you play now? It was intended to have Phoenix's point-of-view (pov) in the game. You would realize sooner that he receives his badge and that Edgeworth knew a while back, as well as something happening to Franziska, but she needs you to be at at the Detention Center.

There are two reasons as to why I wanted to make a mini investigation.

First, while I was making the game, I realized that the pacing with that beginning heavily blows because it drags.

Second, the investigation is a test of one's patience and dedication in finding subtle details. Plus, it allows flexible story-telling and allows player interaction which distracts the player from feeling the pacing. It also allows me to add some subtle back-story in there for people to see which I will show later on. I wanted this game to have some reply value.

Now to talk about Episode 1 intro specifically, I decided that since this episode is about Franziska, I wanted to hint about some things of her past and the changes that she went through. While, many of you have agreed that I have captured her well, I did not want to have a 1:1 ratio of her personality between this episode and Trials and Tribulations or GK. I wanted to show the changes of her character just like how Phoenix's character has changed. I'll discuss more of Franziska's character as well as others later on.

Plot I
I wanted to prove DeMatador wrong. That was a huge piece of motivation. Papermario's way is not the only way to have both Apollo and Phoenix together. I wanted to show that, there are no separate universes. It was all simply perception.
Tap wrote:I was very impressed by the direction the plot took. It was unique and captivating. The addition of .avi movies added to the brilliance of your trial. You, sir, are a genius. Your ideas were fabulous and you pulled them off really, really well.
Now, Tap is not the only reviewer, but this particular part focused on the plot that I made. BBblader commented a piece of the plot as well, but I have addressed it with Case 1-4 explanation in order to show how much I thought about the plot.

Like anyone, I want to be original and unique. To do so, I observed how other fangames were made. I noticed the trends and attempted to avoid them. Now, that is not to say that I haven't limited myself. I am using familiar characters. If I wanted to be more original, I could make a fangame with new chars, and if I want to be more original, I would make my own game. My focus is to use what is there and go beyond the "typical/trendy" (subjective) fangame.
Typical/Trendy wrote:A quick rundown of my observations:

Phoenix getting his badge back.
Always a murder case, seriously? Is that the only way? The Stolen Turnabout (3-2) was the closest to have a case without a murder. It was just theft, but, noooo, a murder had to happen.
A case always named specifically with "Turnabout." (e.g. no play around with the name)
The person who committed the crime would be found by the end of the episode. If I recall correctly, it was considered to be a feat for Phoenix to be able to get Larry a "Not Guilty" (1-1) and find the killer. The constant finding of the killer seriously devalues that in my opinion. It becomes too formulaic.
The introduction of characters such as "My name is Apollo Justice. I am a defense attorney." or "This is Phoenix Wright, a former defense attorney, and my mentor" and usually done with the protagonist.
There's more you can argue of what is original and what it is not. It is always a societal debate. It's also one that you cannot really win; no one really could win. Now, here's the ironic part from my observations: I am using Phoenix getting his badge back and a murder case. Now, it goes to my next point, execution. It gets harder to be creative when trends are followed (common sense in my opinion), so the next thing is how things are executed. Seriously, if I were to say, oh hai guys, I am bringing Franziska, Edgeworth, Gumshoe, Wendy, and Phoenix for my fangame! It will look like all I care about simple fanservice. Screw that. Make them significant, whether it is for comedic relief or to add more to the story, they should have a purpose for being there which is why I say there are no separate universes with Phoenix and Apollo. They all follow the same grounds of "Ace Attorney." They have some relation to each other.

Part II involves with the plotline of the episode (including backstories) and the cross-examinations (every one of them).

Characters
Apollo - I wonder when someone would have noticed the calm nature of Apollo (Ping xD). Sure, there are instances where he was shaking/nervous for comedic effect. Without spoiling my story, knowledge is seriously a confidence builder. Also remember that Edgeworth is very lenient towards Apollo until the very end. Edgeworth basically gave Apollo very minimal stress during the court case which allows Apollo to freely make theories/conjectures at his leisure. Another note; Apollo has read Phoenix's lawbooks (hehe, see what I mean by subtle) which allowed him to learn a few new things, whatever they may be. Then there is his "perfect" record. And, the rest... Well... I wonder what that would be. It's been talked and has even surprised Edgeworth ;). Just when did Edgeworth show his surprised look to Apollo? And through that answer, is it enough? What else has made him a more calm character?

Franziska - I do not want to play a 1:1 ratio in terms of personality. She does have vibrant hints of it though (i.e. whipping habit). If you noticed, she hasn't said "fool" or variations of the word not that much. If you have played with the investigation, you would see that she is a more sentimental character. And even without it, the ending would have shown more of it as well. Out of all the characters, Franziska has a considerable in-depth backstory. One would be the event that happened five years ago. Will you ever see it? You may never know.

Phoenix - He got his badge back. So what? We (and by we, I mean you), don't understand based on the first episode. This is for pacing purposes, hehe, and it is my way of poking fun and say, hey, I can slap Phoenix with a badge too! Phoenix keeps his "snarky" personality as well as retaining his act as a lawyer. Oooooo, wonder what it would be like to do a CE with a snarky Phoenix in court?

Edgeworth - He seems to be the least changed, or rather, I expect that you are unable to tell, due to his passive nature in that trial. Consider why he is in the trial and what has happened to Gavin. Consider the reason for his actions other than the blatant. He acted in unusual ways, just like his reappearance in 2-4. Even so, why is Edgeworth truly back?

Gumshoe - Chief Detective?... HOW? What is funny is that if you noticed the previous Chief, you would see a similar relationship in terms of character of the two. Brings an unusual humor, I would say, and a possible reason. Gumshoe, like Edgeworth, is a character we do not know of at the moment. 8 years has passed, and yet, we still don't know what has changed as a character.

Oldbag - Relatively minor character, intentionally used for comedic relief. Will she ever reappear? Never know.

Trucy - Now, this one is an interesting character. As compared to other characters, her role is pretty minor in this episode. She was not even suppose to be in the court for various reasons. One of them was that she was practicing the new magic tricks that she has inherited. As to her role in the fangame overall, it'll be significant.

Alexander Ethos - Pay attention to his name; it is very significant. First, let's look at his last name:

Ethos (ee-thos) - the fundamental character or spirit of a culture; the underlying sentiment that informs the beliefs, customs, or practices of a group or society; dominant assumptions of a people or period

Without saying much, the significance of his character becomes greater. His name is an embodiment of the game itself as well as myself and you indirectly. I am assuming that you played the game. You realize that Alexander is an Interpol Agent which reflects a bit on Franziska's character. I hope that you wondered what has Franziska been doing for the past eight years.

Now his first name. Alexander an indirect reference to Alexander the Great. Emphasis on great. Great can be taken metaphorically in how the game may have affected your perspective or emotions. Great can be taken as a characterization of this character. Now, what is so great about Alexander Ethos?

Another thing, what's funny is that Alexander Ethos was not the first name, the other name was Price Zephyre. I decided to change the name when I thought about the embodiment of what the game represents.

Sophie - The major spoiler. Woot. Now, I will talk little of her. I wanted to partially bring the spirit of a certain character, but at the same time, bring up a new character. It also brings more backstory for not only Phoenix but for another character. I thought long and hard, should I bring that character I originally want from one of the AA games or bring a new character? I was looking through some stuff for inspiring ideas and I came across an idea that someone (MiaFeyFan) has made. It popped. Freakin' genius. Seriously, the clear idea that was needed for the development of the story. I decided in respect to her great idea, I kept the name that was created as well as other ideas, and then I began to develop her character. Not like you will know it right now. Seriously, if it weren't for MiaFeyFan, the effect of Episode 1 would not be as great as well as the entire game itself. I really owe it to her for even able to do this. So, to sum it up, here's one question, how the hell Phoenix knows her?

Thank you for reading Part I of the Episode 1: Whipping Turnabouts DevDiary. I hope you enjoyed it. Please comment if you have any other questions. The next stuff I will talk about is the plot development of the Episode.
Episode 2: Re:tracer wrote:To be ahead of the game, I was developing the plot for Episode 2 while making Episode 1. This DevDiary section is very brief and will be discussed in a later DevDiary, but I will try to give the most out of it.

Name choice
Turnabout this; turnabout that. I understand, respect to the games, but in my opinion, a limit on the potential creativity of oneself.

Allow me to briefly talk about Episode 1: Whipping Turnabouts. Whipping Turnabouts has a rather large influence over future episodes. Whipping can be taken metaphorically as well as subtly hinting character(s). The metaphor can be taken on multiple scales, depending on the interpretation of the person. Now Turnabouts is an interesting one. If you have noticed, there is an "s" in Turnabouts. That being said, that "s" is suppose to describe the game in a "plural sense" if that makes any sense. To make it easier on yourself, basically, this Episode affects all the future episodes.

Now, the name choice of Re:tracer. No, I did not get that idea from Kingdom Hearts Re:coded. End of story. Re:tracer is the name of a story that I have made over seven years ago. The original name of Episode 2 was suppose to be Episode 2: Rise of the Ashes II, but while developing the story, I realized how much you will go back in time, hence the Re: in Re:tracer. Tracer is to reference two things. One that I will not discuss and for the other, it describes the "memory lane" that you will experience.

I wanted to be a little more creative with the name choice, expand the potential of my creativity that I can have for this fangame. Remember, I do understand why people has Turnabout in the episode name and I respect that, but I still cling to my opinion.

Plot
Fragmented... Resolute... Re:trace all memories...

"Re:trace Everything."
This is highly experimental, but I hope it may bring something interesting to look at. First of all, a murder may not happen. I want to expand on that and bring something just as effective.

You will experience something that could potentially be incoherent, but this Episode is largely focused on bringing the backstories of the introduced characters. It's designed to be "flashbacky" in order to develop the characters.

You will most likely play multiple perspectives, that much I will say.

That concludes the brief Episode 2: Re:tracer DevDiary. Thank you for taking the time to read it!
Thank you for taking the time to read the DevDiary. I will later discuss the plotline, some frustrations of the development of this game, improvements, and something more of Episode 2: Re:tracer.
Hope to hear your comments everyone :phoenix: . While I am inactive, it still brings motivation regardless :D.
Last edited by Radex on Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (Ep2 Trailer & DevDiary 11

Post by Mimi »

I tried to download the first episode, but it wouldn't work. :cry:
Radex

Re: Ace Attorneys: Rising Justice (Ep2 Trailer & DevDiary 11

Post by Radex »

Mimi Mika wrote:I tried to download the first episode, but it wouldn't work. :cry:
Really? :(

I tried them out and the links aren't dead, if you are still suffering problems, I can upload the episode in another place.

Make sure you have Winrar to extract the files and have the latest Direct X before playing the game.