International Politics Thread

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: International Politics Thread

Post by Unas »

Singidava wrote:Well, it isn't too bad since most of their "arguments" begin with "I agree with you" or "You have a good point" etc.
I wish politics in France were a little more like this, rather than systematic opposition...
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I understand if gay rights and immigration are politically sensitive issues (as well as not serving in the army).

But the way you put "vegetarian" in that sentence implies that it's a political issue. I question if it really is a political issue or if the internet hoi polloi is trying to create something out of nothing.
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

By saying he is a vegetarian I merely wanted to highlight his background as a member of the Green League which has many vegetarians in it. It's not that being a vegetarian is bad but rather that his party isn't very popular (though I must admit I and most of my friends belong to its supporters).
Drey Wilkins
Spoken languages: English + Scraps of Russian

Post by Drey Wilkins »

Talking about Politics? I've been doing an English project on the Nuclear Debate in New Zealand.

When New Zealand barred Nuclear Vessels from its waters, that strained NZ-US relations to breaking point, the extent that the US suspended their obligations for ANZUS.

But what I think makes Nuclear Power a sore point for man NZers, is that it was the cause of the Sinking of the Rainbow Warrior in the auckland harbour.

The even was a terrorist attack by the DGSE to stop the ship leading a protest against French Nuclear testing out in the ocean. I don't hold anyone in france responsible, or hold any grudges or anything like that, but I was astounded by it, and how France reacted when two agents were captured.

Avatar and signature made by the wonderful Holhol.
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Hamid Karzai really makes me want to tear my hair out.

We go looking for Al-Qaeda, find out Karzai's gov't was aiding and abetting Al-Qaeda, helping the warlords against US military and now he demands $2B a year?!

YEAH RIGHT. YOU SHOULD BE PAYING US $5B AT 15% INTEREST FOR WASTING OUR TIME, RESOURCES, MILITARY, AND GIVING US A SLAP TO THE FACE!!!!!!
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

It's funny because he's more than openly defied the U.S. a few times. Dude's got some BAWRs LOL

I'd be more personally concerned with that country called big Paki though when it comes to supporting terrorism.
Singidava

Post by Singidava »

A new topic to discuss: Hungary~! I mean seriously, what's Orbán doing?

First there was the media law (= cencorship):
Human Rights Watch wrote:The new law creates a media control body, with members appointed by the ruling party in parliament. All media outlets will be required to register with the body to operate lawfully.

The panel will be able to impose fines of up to €700,000 (approximately $900,000) on media outlets for "imbalanced news coverage," material it considers "insulting" to a particular group or "the majority" or it deems to violate "public morality." "Gross" violations can result in denial of registration. The law also removes legal protection against the disclosure of journalists' sources, with wide grounds for the media authority to order disclosure.
Then they gave the president the right to name all the new judges in their court system. And guess what followed? Orbán forcing older judges to retire so he can replace them with his liking! Independence of judiciary? What's that?
And now there's a new law that forbids people who have high school education or higher working out of the country unless they want to be fined. The only way to be saved from that fine is to work in Hungary at least twice the amount of time spent on their education.
...By the way did I already mention that Hungary's economy is in horrible shape? The only reason this hasn't been all over the news is because Hungary doesn't belong to the euro zone. Seriously, I've no idea how Orbán manages to stay in power...

Obviously EU is furious.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Hungary sounds like it would be the first country to collapse completely after Greece if the EU doesn't do anything to help them out :lol:
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I wonder what you guys think of Asma Al-Assad. Obviously, Bashar, the president of Syria, has been on international news for not stopping the attacks and/or ordering the attacks on civilians on Homs and other dissident strongholds. But Asma is getting some attention for being, as the American media calls it, "today's Marie Antoinette/"
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

He's giving me a bad name >:[
Singidava

Post by Singidava »

French and Greek elections: what effect will they have on the Euro crisis?

It seems that Germany's strict economic discipline is losing its supporters fast: Hollande (the newly elected president of France) wants to rip the old pacts open and the goverment of the Netherlands resigned just two weeks ago unable to complete the budget cuts. These two are especially bad for Germany since the Netherlands has been one of its most loyal supporters when it comes to economy and France... well, at least they didn't cause any problems for Merkel before this. However, from what I've heard (media) Hollande is pretty much a pragmatist so economists think it's unlikely he'd just go for short term gain like populists do (*cough*Le Pen*cough*). Instead, there are doubts about whether Greece will be able to form a stabile goverment let alone succeed making the budget cuts EU wants them to do. People are even starting to see Greece leaving the Euro zone as a real possibility. This, of course, would be even more catastrophic to the country's economy than making the cuts as everyone would rate the newborn Greek currency so low that business with other countries would be practically impossible. And considering that Greece's debts are mostly in Euros this would make paying them back even more problematic.

Now it's time for my random opinions~!
When it comes to economy I think Sarkozy would've been better but in the other topics I prefer Hollande.
From the Dutch politicians... anyone is fine as long as it isn't Wilders.
Greece doesn't matter since it's not like they had any real power to argue back to Germany anyways... Unless they decide to leave Euro zone which would just be something of an economic suicide.

Interesting is that here in Finland no one complained supporting Iceland during its economic crisis but now... When it comes to Greece there seems to be no solidarity at all. I suppose cultures and proximity really matter. (Though I have to wonder about Sweden - When I visited there last month the tourist shops were full of all other Nordic flags except Icelandic... I didn't see a single Icelandic flag though I saw tons of other Nordic flags.)
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

First foreign diplomatic move as possible-future president of the US: Criticize the Londoners and British for not being prepared for the Olympics. Result? Get all of UK and London to hate you.

GOOD JOB, MITT!
Hodou Okappa
Spoken languages: English

Post by Hodou Okappa »

E.D.Revolution wrote:First foreign diplomatic move as possible-future president of the US: Criticize the Londoners and British for not being prepared for the Olympics. Result? Get all of UK and London to hate you.

GOOD JOB, MITT!
(implying Romney even has a possibility left.)

Still, the entire American handling of the Olympics was idiotic. Especially NBC's coverage. We're making it very clear that if it's not in America, we don't give a damn.
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

I do hear that BBC does do a better job of covering it, including NO commercials and such. Can someone confirm that?
energizerspark
Spoken languages: English

Post by energizerspark »

E.D.Revolution wrote:I do hear that BBC does do a better job of covering it, including NO commercials and such. Can someone confirm that?
Yes, the BBC has no adverts whatsoever. Not just the Olympics. Because we pay a TV licence and that funds the BBC so they don't need adverts.
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering