Windows 8 — Finally unveiled!

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Dr.Cookie Master
Spoken languages: English, very very basic French, learning Spanish.

Re: Windows 8 — First UI preview shown

Post by Dr.Cookie Master »

Speaking of Apple... isnt it Time they tried to make thier own video game console? fWindows has computing systems PLUS the Xbox 360(thus making thier profit variable). But then again, it wouldnt be a great idea......considering the playstation network crisis last month, I dont think it would be a suitable hole for apple to fill.

(And considering Steve Jobs is running Disney Inc :sideglance2: while Bill Gates is counting his number of Picture from corbis :random: )
“Empty?! You took all the cookies!"
"They were crying to get out of the jar... Cookies get claustrophobia too, you know!”
― Charles M. Schulz
Hodou Okappa
Spoken languages: English

Post by Hodou Okappa »

If Apple created a game system, they'd be downplaying the iPad's ability to play games, which is oddly a selling point for it (despite the fact that its games are pretty much terrible compared to a PC's games, they appeal to casual gamers far more since they don't have to buy another system.) They want people to have everything on a single device -- preferably, Apple's most recent one.

You can't say that there's no basis for fear there, I guess. Note -- gaming made a huge shift towards consoles once Microsoft released their own game system, and now the majority of big budget PC games are designed to be effortlessly released cross-platform. If Apple made a game system, they'd basically be confirming that lurking suspicion that there really isn't anything to Angry Birds but luck. :lol:

P.S. I wanted to point out my other big problem with the Windows 8 UI, though it isn't really about the UI so much as... Well, it's right there in the bottom-left corner. Prominently, proudly, shamelessly displayed. An app store? Seriously? Is uh... Have programs really been permanently renamed to "apps" and been deemed worth 99 cents a pop? Because I'm pretty much used to getting all my "basic virtual human rights," so to speak, as free open-source software. Is this going to be the first time I'll have to crack a damn computer OS just to download and use what I want?

P.S.S Apparently this is a type of start menu, though. "Experts" on the Internet are claiming that this screen shows up when you start your computer, but you can go to a Windows 7 style desktop from there?
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
Meph

Post by Meph »

The app store has been rumoured for months (but they can't call it "app store", because it's apparently a trademark owned by Apple, because it means "Apple Store" :random: ) They're not going to be rubbish apps, though. It'll just be another way of finding and downloading apps and Web apps like MS Office and Hotmail in one place. I don't think they'll have any rules :) (except for "no viruses"). :P
Dr.Cookie Master

I see...
But what is the point of a Hotmail app when you have IE?

And, is there going to be the traditional start up sound and shut down sound ?

(It better not be the Same one as Windows 7 as they did with Windows Vista...OR ELSE :gray: )
"They were crying to get out of the jar... Cookies get claustrophobia too, you know!”
― Charles M. Schulz
Meph

Post by Meph »

CookieMaster wrote:But what is the point of a Hotmail app when you have IE?
Because there's a gaining interest in the industry about Web apps and "cloud computing". This is why Google have made a new OS called "Google Chrome OS". :)
CookieMaster wrote:And, is there going to be the traditional start up sound and shut down sound ? (It better not be the Same one as Windows 7 as they did with Windows Vista...OR ELSE :gray: )
Erm... I'm not sure. :P It'll probably have a new one. If you don't like it that much, you can change it right now. :)

By the way, there's another preview, if anyone's interested. ;)
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

Why does no-one like Windows Vista? I have it and it's quite reliable.
Don't look at me like that.
STOP IT!
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Meph

Post by Meph »

Actually, you're right. ;) It was mostly due to initial bad press and inconvenient coincidences that made it "bad". Once SP1 was out, it was fine.
Stealthfire

Post by Stealthfire »

:( I want my desktop with all the icons and the shortcut bar at the bottom and stuff. This looks like it will be unwieldy to see what you have open. And personally, I think it looks awful. Then again, the design would probably be improved or customisable in the future, so that's a moot point.
Eshvelut Lochelle, king.
Roxciel Artefille, the world's librarian.
Salfira Artefille, madhatter. lulz.
My characters of Endless Time.
I failed! Dood!
Anyway, try counting the words. Lines are too big I find.

... ...僕は少女じゃない!

I have a HHNNNGGG!! worthy sig now. Click it!
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

Meph wrote:Actually, you're right. ;) It was mostly due to initial bad press and inconvenient coincidences that made it "bad". Once SP1 was out, it was fine.
I remember a somewhat funny conversation I had with my computer-professional father when I found out he was still using Vista (before 7 came out.) I kept trying to say all this bad stuff about it, all of which he effortlessly refuted, and it ended with me basically saying "But... it HAS to be bad. It's VISTA." and him shaking his head.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Meph wrote:Actually, you're right. ;) It was mostly due to initial bad press and inconvenient coincidences that made it "bad". Once SP1 was out, it was fine.
SP1 did not fix the fact that it used a 10% of my computer's resources when supposedly idle, kept the hard drive running for 7 minutes after booting (until I found its "superfetch" was the cause of it and found the not obvious way to disable it), kept its firewall running (and blocking half of my games' network traffic) even when it showed it as disabled, etc.
Vista was just bad, and I'm glad that so far my experience with 7 is much better.
Meph wrote:By the way, there's another preview, if anyone's interested. ;)
Too bad they require Silverlight to watch it.
Meph wrote:I don't think we're going to move completely away from the mouse and keyboard. Microsoft have been saying for a while that they'll always have their place, so I don't think they'll ever go away. :)
I certainly hope so, but they show the contrary on this video, by demonstrating the WIndows8 UI on a touch screen... :?
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

I didn't like Windows 7. I couldn't disable the stupid "tap twice on the touchscreen to click" thing, the resolution seemed too low even at max, and every now and then, my cursor would randomly fling itself to the lower right corner for 10 seconds.

And I have SP1 and SP2 for Vista, and it's good.
And if you think Vista is bad, two words.
Windows. 98.
Last edited by energizerspark on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
Dr.Cookie Master

Energizerman wrote:I didn't like Windows 7. I couldn't disable the stupid "tap twice on the touchscreen to click" thing, the resolution seemed too low even at max, and every now and then, my mouse would randomly fling itself to the lower right corner for 10 seconds.

And I have SP1 and SP2 for Vista, and it's good.
And if you think Vista is bad, two words.
Windows. 98.
You should know thats the Viruses made for the MS 98 DOS were not used for stealing personal info, but played some entertaining .COM files

Take the ambulance virus for example....
― Charles M. Schulz
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

Energizerman wrote:every now and then, my mouse would randomly fling itself to the lower right corner for 10 seconds.
I thought I was the only one with this problem. I don't think it's the OS though...
Kaj Aliv

Post by Kaj Aliv »

I can't believe this.
Nobody knows?
Do you people know why Windows 7 is called Windows 7?

IT WAS MADE IN 2007.
If there ever was a Windows 8, it would have already been made. IN 2008.
This would be called "Windows 11".
Hi. This is a signature.
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

Or perhaps it's called Windows 8 because 8 comes after 7. 8 is the first Windows OS after 7.
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading: