Windows 8 — Finally unveiled!

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Meph
Spoken languages: English

Re: Windows 8 — First UI preview shown

Post by Meph »

Can we actually get back to talking about Windows 8? :P
~Count Olaf~

Post by ~Count Olaf~ »

I don't know how well swiping will translate to a mouse, though I'll imagine it would work very well on a tablet.

Also, I don't see much in the way of multitasking with multiple programs outside of the Windows 7 Mode. =/

- Olaf
$Fth wrote:A man with such a name as that is a clear gentleman.
GuardianDreamer wrote:That name sounds like it belongs to some peaceful person who doesn't want to be disturbed, but then when you DO disturb him, he goes berserk and destroys you.
Meph

Post by Meph »

It's definitely going to have easy multitasking support, but the UI for it is hidden on the sides. We'll see more at the BUILD conference.
Meph

Post by Meph »

I'm bumping this thread because everything about Windows 8 will be revealed tomorrow at the BUILD conference. ;)

If anyone wants to watch the keynote, it will be broadcast live at 9am PDT at the Anaheim convention centre (next to the Disneyland Resort :awesome: ); probably on the BUILD website.
Meph

Re: Windows 8 — To be revealed very soon

Post by Meph »

The keynote is starting 15 minutes! :D Watch it here:

http://buildwindows.com

Am I the only one that cares about this? :sideglance2:

EDIT: So what does everyone think?

Last edited by Meph on Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Zomg! Double post, Mr. Eater. :P
.Saboteur

Post by .Saboteur »

IMO, nice. I like the way they spruced the UI up.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Well, my opinion about W8 remains unchanged : a fantastic revolution for tablets, and a direct copy of W7 for computers or devices without touch screen. Wouldn't be too bad, I guess, since W7 was actually quite good...

Oh, except that with their new file menu that takes half of the screen in height, they are ruling out netbooks (where vertical space is needed) for the classic interface as well.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph

Post by Meph »

Did you see the new "ultrabooks" that they mentioned in the keynote? :) They'll be a bit bigger than netbooks, but they're a lot thinner. Even the VGA port was bigger!

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on this when all of the features are done and we can see what it's actually going to be like to use it. It's really exciting.

The only issue is the method of switching between apps. The behaviour is like the back button. Why couldn't they use tabs?
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Meph wrote:Did you see the new "ultrabooks" that they mentioned in the keynote? :) They'll be a bit bigger than netbooks, but they're a lot thinner. Even the VGA port was bigger!
That was really worth creating a new name.
And of course, if it's smaller than a VGA port, I guess it doesn't contain one, hence the need to buy an adapter for all devices equipped with the standard port. Exactly like a Macbook.
That just looks like Microsoft trying to imitate Apple in many ways (cf. this comic) - and everyone knows I'm not fond of Apple.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph

Post by Meph »

Actually, it was Intel. :P But yes, one of them did have a VGA port... so it kind-of morphed the side of the chassis. :XD:
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Meph wrote:Actually, it was Intel. :P
Intel might be the manufacturer, but if the project is officially mentioned during a Windows 8 keynote, you'll have a hard time convincing me it isn't backed by MS. Kinda like Chromebooks are designed by Google and built by Samsung :wink:
ImageImageImage
Meph

Post by Meph »

Well it makes sense that they would back it one way or another. ;)

Anyway, shocking news today! IE10 in the Metro UI won't support plug-ins! :o

Also, there's a new design for the blue screen of death! :o

Also, there's a new files system called Protogon! :o

Also, I was watching the presentation about designing for the new Metro UI, and it was very interesting.

Also, it seems that this is the direction that they're taking with the Metro UI is that all apps will now have a more specific purpose. For example, you won't see a calendar or contacts list inside your mail program. They will all be in separate apps. And if you think about it, that is a massive change to the way that you use a computer. That's going to be extremely jarring to everyone upgrading from Windows 7. It's a more common app model on mobile OSs, though, but still...
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Meph wrote:Also, it seems that this is the direction that they're taking with the Metro UI is that all apps will now have a more specific purpose. For example, you won't see a calendar or contacts list inside your mail program. They will all be in separate apps. And if you think about it, that is a massive change to the way that you use a computer. That's going to be extremely jarring to everyone upgrading from Windows 7. It's a more common app model on mobile OSs, though, but still...
In short, you kind of remove the multitasking (in terms of UI, I mean, not in terms of number of simultaneous running applications) ability of real computers, where you have enough screen space to arrange different kinds of information and options at the same time, and reduce it to what an iPhone has been doing for years.
Great !

This keeps comforting me with the idea that W8 is a tablet OS, with an embedded W7 for computer users.
ImageImageImage
Meph

Post by Meph »

But the Metro UI is what is shown to everyone by default, regardless of device. They're proclaiming it as a universal UI that works on all screen sizes.

To be honest, I think they could improve multitasking easily by using tabs on the left side of the screen instead of a "back" function.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Meph wrote:But the Metro UI is what is shown to everyone by default, regardless of device. They're proclaiming it as a universal UI that works on all screen sizes.
In short, they're proclaiming that iOS and Android are universal UIs for all kinds of devices. :roll:
http://www.bonkersworld.net/mobile-paradigms/ :P
ImageImageImage