The Official Ace Attorney Online Chatroom - Discord

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: The Official Ace Attorney Online Chatroom - Up and runni

Post by kwando1313 »

OK, I created a poll:

http://strawpoll.me/6468477

Get your votes in, guys~

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
spd12
Spoken languages: English

Post by spd12 »

I'm all for moving. xat is wonky.
Last edited by spd12 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Okay so I've tried Discord. If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend testing it out yourself by visiting Gombarry's example chat. So here's how this is going to play out...

I'm going to set this as a vote about whether we want to stay on xat or move to a Discord chatroom (which I'll set up myself). All voting will be done in-thread by people posting their votes, in order to make sure that the people who are voting are actually people who use xat. So, here are the rules to make sure this works out okay.

1. Bold your votes. I'll probably count them even if you don't, but you want to make sure that I'm not silly and miss your vote, right?
2. All votes must be made in this thread. Also, please don't try to say "This other user asked me to say that they're voting for this option" or something like that so we can avoid confusion. Vote only for yourself.
3. Voting will last for a while to make sure that most people don't miss it. Let's say you have until January 14, 11:59 PM EST to vote. That gives you slightly more than a week. Until then, we're still going to consider the AAO Xat the official chatroom.
4. While not absolutely required, I'd appreciate a reason behind your vote. It doesn't have to be in-depth. It can literally just be "I feel more comfortable with this place".
5. If you don't care one way or another which chat system we use, it's up to you whether you want to say so in the thread or just not post at all.

Other than that, I'd also like some general suggestions regarding what types of "channels" the AAO chatroom should have, IF we do make the switch to Discord. Gombarry's test example has General, Art, Roleplay, and Gaming. "General" is definitely a shoe-in for obvious reasons, but is there anything else we need? Keep in mind that "Roleplay" is out because there's already an AAO RP Xat, and Dave has said that he'd prefer to keep it separate from main xat. (Though I'm under the impression that if we make the switch to Discord, he'll set up a Discord thing as well.)
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Real Name (2024), A Silly Little Dream (hopefully late 2024 or very early 2025), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully late 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Re: The Official Ace Attorney Online Chatroom - Voting Time

Post by Bad Player »

no game jammin' ninja no life
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

(Dave already has set up a Discord server. xP)

Meanwhile, I'm voting to move to Discord. I've already posted why before, but I think that it's a much better chat program than xat.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
The Ash Raichu

Post by The Ash Raichu »

Move to Discord. Mostly for reasons outlined above, or on previous pages. Too lazy to go check.
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

No.

If you must have reasons;
* jammin' ninja
* A variety of channels is gonna mean a lot of switching between them if you actually want to follow conversations.
* Permanent log isn't healthy for someone who hates every second thing they say.
* Spoiler issues (maybe?).

Now indifferent. The log switching and spoiler chats are gonna be a pain but a lot of stuff seems to be an improvement. Apparently it might work properly in places where xat won't, too, so that's something.
Last edited by Reverie on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

I vote Discord.

Discord is cool. He's voiced by John de Lancie.

kwando and Gombarry have said enough about reasons to move.
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

I vote stay on xat. There's no spoiler tags. It's easier to pretend to be other people. I don't care for how mod powers are handled. Basically, Discord improves on a lot of things xat has trouble with, but things become a lot more roundabout for certain conveniences; you'd essentially have to create a new room for specific spoilers on something (and spoiler tags are used a lot in our chats), mod powers in general are the same but are generally more...difficult to use, I suppose, and when you get past the bells and whistles a lot of the conveniences xat DOES entail that we've gotten used to just aren't quite present here. I'd still go over and mod it if we switched but as is I prefer xat as main chatroom and Discord as the backup and for extra chat stuff like RPxat and such. Using Discord for OTHER stuff seems like a solid plan but sticking with xat as the main chatroom for the time being seems overall more convenient.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Trybien

Post by Trybien »

I agree with Got for pretty much the same reasons. So I would have to say No for making it the official chatroom, but would still be a nice place for voice chats, rps, and such.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

Move to Discord because I don't want to feel like I'm stuck in some modern-day AOL hell anymore.

Also, the multiple channel thing is... way more convenient that xat. We don't actually HAVE to have any more channels than we did we xat, and here, they're all displayed in one nice tab instead of being entirely different URLs. The only real, functional complaints you can have about Discord are the apparently existing difficulties with modding and the lack of spoiler tags.

Identity theft, I'd be fairly certain, is never going to be a problem past jokes like what's going on. Because, like, you can just make everyone new not members. It'd be easy to tell if someone's lying then.

But like... bots. There are bots you can make in Discord. That could never be a thing with Xat. We have such a good opportunity here!
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

I'm going with Go with Discord.

I see the upgrades as better than any of the downgrades.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

i vote carrier pigeons. this evil technology has made us into lazy, unthinking drones who do nothing more than stare at empty screens all our lives. carrier pigeons would allow us to actually WRITE things again and actually USE the empty, anime-filled minds of this generation. carrier pigeons have wings, and can fly, and are ALIVE and WITH NATURE, unlike your foul xats or discords. would you rather wait days into weeks into years to send a person halfway across the globe an "LOL", or just tap it into your devil machines and have them instantly reply? i know which I'D take. carrier pigeons 4 life.
Mono
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Mono »

After some thinking, I'm gonna be going with Discord after all. It is far more practical than xat and I'm pretty sure many inconveniences can be worked around without much trouble. Also, bots. Bots are amazing.