[Serious] Young Children on the Internet

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

AABattery
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, Learning Korean

Re: [Serious] Young Children on the Internet

Post by AABattery »

I agree with what everyone says. It's not the age, but the child's maturity/parents.

I started using the internet at the age of 5. Seeing as how AOL kept sending their CDs to our mailbox, me and my bro got it working on our home computer and messed around with it. We'd just use it for Neopets, Yu-Gi-Oh stuff, and Googleing pics to make funny Powerpoints with. I didn't start going on forums until a year or so after Kingdom Hearts came out.

I also want to note that I had a Simpsons game (a very violent one at that) when I was 4, so really the internet is not the only thing to worry about.
Shadow009909
Spoken languages: English, Bulgarian

Post by Shadow009909 »

It's not age, it's the child maturity.

I started using the internet maybe around 7. At 12 me and my cousin even ran our own original forum. It was alive for years with over 1000 users...yeah....Don't ask I don't know how we pulled that of, but we cared for it and acted really mature. Even I'm surprised now that I remember it. Kids just started making forums of their own(which copied our idea) and thinking they can run them for long but I am a witness to all of that. I've seen enough and keep seeing to tell you to do something on the internet you have to be mature...not at age, because some of those people i know still make forums that last 2-3 days and they are all the same(no originality, just acting childishly)...I think I got off the point here.

Basically.
Children should be allowed on the internet but with a bit help/guide from their parents at first just so they learn what is good and what is bad. The child then should use the internet so he can mature.
Isy
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English, un peu de francais

Post by Isy »

Well, when I started to use the Internet I was about eleven or twelve years old. We didn't have Internet earlier.
But when I now read statements from really young kids on Facebook or stuff, I do ask myself: "What the heck is happening to our youth?" I mean, not all children are immature but a lot of them are. I guess, the maturity really is a factor one should keep in mind.
Take a look at some grown-ups - I know some in personal who are still behaving like they were eight or something whereas I know a kid at the age of ten acting like a responsible person.
So, I think that the parents should keep an eye on what their children do on the Internet, 'cause some sites really are effective for learning. And they should also decide whether their kid is mature enough for using social communities.

P.S.: Sorry if my English is not the best, it's not my mother tongue... :)
CardiaX
Spoken languages: English

Post by CardiaX »

I'm only thirteen, and I've been on the internet since I was six. I tend to get by easily without any problems, though. It's really the twelve-year olds you should be worried about. I'm just the exception. I play Starcraft 2, and, unless I'm really just being jerk (which I'm not) nobody cares what I do. I'm bad at RTS in general, but instead of saying I stink, they tend to give me help with my strategy. Sorry if I sound like some egomaniac here, but that's really the truth.
Topaz
Spoken languages: English, 日本語

Post by Topaz »

I don't advertise my age. Instead, I pretend I'm, what, 16-18 on multiplayer games. I dont like people helping me or going easy on me. Especially starcraft, I'm diamond league.
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Ooookay, I've been itching to say this for a while but...
Now everyone is just saying "Well, I started using the internet this young". I thought that the purpose was to discuss about when people can safely start using the internet and why, not to brag how young you started using the internet or currently are. Where is all the constructive discussion?
AABattery
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, Learning Korean

Post by AABattery »

Well, I-- *shot* jk

But seriously now, there are places on the internet that ARE MADE FOR kids... I don't think that young kids should be restricted from the internet, just certain places, like how most schools usually block websites based on what they have on them.

There are also parental controls that can be used to restrict kids from going to certain places like the blocks schools use.
lazyplague
Spoken languages: English

Post by lazyplague »

Singidava wrote:Ooookay, I've been itching to say this for a while but...
Now everyone is just saying "Well, I started using the internet this young". I thought that the purpose was to discuss about when people can safely start using the internet and why, not to brag how young you started using the internet or currently are. Where is all the constructive discussion?
True.
That's why I put the serious on the the name of the thread.