AAO Occupy Wall Street

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Ami
Spoken languages: English

AAO Occupy Wall Street

Post by Ami »

Spoiler : :
machiavelette (10:28:59 PM): UC Davis students were pepper-sprayed at close range.
machiavelette (10:29:32 PM): And CUNY Baruch was planning on raising its tutition without consulting its students.
machiavelette (10:29:46 PM): His school tried to mic-check a Board of Trustees meeting, and when that didn't work, they sat outside the meeting and had a GA.
machiavelette (10:29:53 PM): The school responded by sending in riot cops who thought it was appropriate to beat students with batons.
Andi (10:30:16 PM): *her
machiavelette (10:30:33 PM): Her.
machiavelette (10:30:50 PM): Aoshi is fine now.
Andi (10:31:02 PM): Okay.
Ami Collins (10:31:06 PM): Define "fine".
machiavelette (10:31:08 PM): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYNrlnsz5CY
Andi (10:31:09 PM): Yeah, that.
machiavelette (10:31:12 PM): *Alive."
Ami Collins (10:31:15 PM): OKay
Ami Collins (10:31:28 PM): Good to know it isn't the "in a better place" fine.
machiavelette (10:31:36 PM): That's what happened- Aoshi's around 4:40, in the front, with the ponytail.
Ami Collins (10:32:33 PM): *tries to find her*
Ami Collins (10:32:49 PM): Long pony tail, or bobbed pony tail?
machiavelette (10:32:57 PM): Long.
Ami Collins (10:33:24 PM): Okay, chesnut hair with flax highlights, red top
machiavelette (10:33:39 PM): ... o_O.
machiavelette (10:33:59 PM): wait let's try that again
Ami Collins (10:34:13 PM): Black hair, grey top?
Ami Collins (10:34:20 PM): Navy scrunchee?
machiavelette (10:34:43 PM): start around 4:20
machiavelette (10:34:45 PM): black hair
machiavelette (10:34:47 PM): backpack
Ami Collins (10:35:11 PM): got her
Andi (10:35:30 PM): i can't see her
Ami Collins (10:36:51 PM): By the by, pepper spray at close range? That's stupid on any level: pepper spray is done at a distance of at least 20 yards for a reason: there's backspray from close-range firings, and if there's a strong wind, it dissipates on the trip back to your face
Ami Collins (10:37:08 PM): So we can assume this isn't NY's finest.
Ami Collins (10:37:20 PM): DID SHE HIT THE FLOOR
machiavelette (10:37:42 PM): http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/u ... 15x345.png
Ami Collins (10:37:59 PM): THEY'RE JUST SITTING THERE
Ami Collins (10:38:12 PM): WHAT IN THE SAM HELL IS THIS?
machiavelette (10:38:34 PM): America.
Ami Collins (10:38:39 PM): God, I need to get ordained faster. ;__;
Her name is Aoshi, a woman that came by AAO a while back... she was beaten by the NYPD recently. This was during a protest in a chain of protests beget by the original OWS: lack of transparency and accountability. Not sure what the exact focus is anymore, but I'm damn angry at places of power having a lack of transparency and accountability.
since 2008!
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Re: AAO Occupy Wall Street

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Goddamn. I don't know what to think anymore. I even know a few people from Baruch through my Filipino Intercollegiate Networking Dialogue's District 3 (F.I.N.D. D3) affiliation. God, I wish these students the best. I wish these students get they change they have been protesting for. If there's any Filipino brothers there, I support you from across the river (NJ).
By the by, pepper spray at close range? That's stupid on any level: pepper spray is done at a distance of at least 20 yards for a reason: there's backspray from close-range firings, and if there's a strong wind, it dissipates on the trip back to your face
Yes, if it applied outside, but it was inside Baruch. I highly doubt Baruch had strong air blowing inside. So backspray wouldn't be a problem. Still, that was a bit excessive.
Ami

Post by Ami »

Backspray still applies in short distances. That's how powerful the misting effect is. This isn't that much of an issue with something like, say, bearspray, where the agent is more of a foam than a stream of mist.
since 2008!
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

Sorry, I watched the video twice but both times I missed the part where the cops burst in on the peaceful protest and began beating people down with batons as the sensationalist name might suggest. I side with the police in both of these instances. In the Baruch instance, that crowd was going insane. When the crowd is practically forcing the police out the doors of the building and pushing the cops back that are trying to control the situation, they have every right to use force to calm the situation down. And I think they did so fairly successfully. You can't look at that crowd and tell me that the police could have done their job to calm the situation down without using some sort of force on the participants. I think they went an admirably long time without resorting to it but in the end it was necessary.

As far as the Davis incident is concerned, I will allow that the picture looks bad, but it comes with absolutely no context. The students at Davis were participating in an illegal sit-in. The chancellor of the school sent in the police to disperse them. When they refused, the police didn't have many options; they would have to move them by force. However, the students showed signs that they weren't going to come easily if the police tried to forcibly disperse them, so they employed pepper spray to minimize the resistance they would receive. Again, while this looks bad, the students really had minimal reactions to the spray- I'm pretty sure it wasn't straight pepper spray but rather diluted with something, as it really did not elicit as much of a response nor deal as much damage as pure pepper spray probably would have.

So yeah, maybe the situations weren't handled completely perfectly in an ideal way, but remember cops are only human and can't be expected to have superhuman powers of calming people down. Given the scenarios I think they performed admirably and these attack videos are just giving them a bunch of undeserved crap for doing their jobs. These people have every right to protest but when the situation gets out of hand and you stop listening to the police you had better be prepared to accept the consequences.
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
Ami

Post by Ami »

This oversight of basic protocol is an affront to good police everywhere. The use of force wielding a baton or a pepper spray can MUST ONLY BE USED when the subject becomes violent. The right to protest has been something of horrid repute- for a protest to be "legal", you have to run it by the government, wait until the bureaucrats finish sorting it out, and THEN MAYBE you get your protest. True protests aren't something that is technically legal- it's civil disobedience. It is when civility is met with hostility that things go awry, and clearly the police started beating people.
since 2008!
Holhol

Post by Holhol »

It's hilarious that in a country where you have a right to speak freely, you get punished for doing so.

No physical violence was necessary... at all. When it all comes down to it, it just makes the protesters want to stand by there opinion even more. Besides, police are only supposed to use force when their is a threat on one's life and, quite frankly, I don't see the peaceful protesters planning a riot anytime soon.

Unethical? Maybe. Right thing to do? Probably not. But a right to do it? Absolutely.
~Danielinhoni is the bestest friend anybody could ask for~

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

TKinhonipei is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Liquid Snake wrote:Snake, did you like my sunglasses?
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

Ami wrote:This oversight of basic protocol is an affront to good police everywhere. The use of force wielding a baton or a pepper spray can MUST ONLY BE USED when the subject becomes violent. The right to protest has been something of horrid repute- for a protest to be "legal", you have to run it by the government, wait until the bureaucrats finish sorting it out, and THEN MAYBE you get your protest. True protests aren't something that is technically legal- it's civil disobedience. It is when civility is met with hostility that things go awry, and clearly the police started beating people.
You might be able to argue that in the UC Davis instance. The Baruch people were practically swarming the police and shoving them out the doors. Life-threatening? Probably not. Violent? Yes. I saw the video. I think the police were fully justified in their actions there.

Could the Davis protest have been handled better? Probably. I'm not saying I fully agree with their decision to use the pepper spray despite no demonstrated physical resistance, and they probably could have handled the situation better. However, the crowd was indeed hostile and the students refused to budge. The cops were under orders to get the students out of there and it's pretty clear that they wanted to avoid bodily moving them if possible. The pepper spray was an attempt to move them with as little physical confrontation as possible. Perhaps not the best decision they could have made but I still throw my support behind the police 100%. They are fallible but they are there to protect the people and I think they do a damn good job.
Holhol wrote:It's hilarious that in a country where you have a right to speak freely, you get punished for doing so.

No physical violence was necessary... at all. When it all comes down to it, it just makes the protesters want to stand by there opinion even more. Besides, police are only supposed to use force when their is a threat on one's life and, quite frankly, I don't see the peaceful protesters planning a riot anytime soon.

Unethical? Maybe. Right thing to do? Probably not. But a right to do it? Absolutely.
Nobody's punishing the people for speaking freely. They're being punished for illegally demonstrating on school-owned property despite demands from the school to stop. And that crowd does seem pretty violent.

Saying they have every right to be there protesting is like saying they have a right to come into my house and protest even after I tell them to get out. No, they absolutely do not have a right to protest there if they are told by the school they cannot protest there and they need to obey the school's orders or prepare to face the consequences. Same thing with the police- if they are told by the police they need to move, they need to move even if they feel like they are doing nothing wrong. That or prepare to face the consequences. Could you argue that the police overreacted? Yes, but saying that they just started beating up on people or that they are being oppressive and abusing their power and trying to prevent peaceful protest as that video title suggests is totally bogus. They did not come in, guns and batons blazing, and beat people down. The crowd reacted violently to their presence and they reacted accordingly after several attempts to calm the situation. The police did absolutely nothing wrong at Baruch and I think they were justified at Davis as well.

Also, funny you should mention riots, because several of these "peaceful protests" have turned into riots. Like Occupy Oakland: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/0 ... 73325.html
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
Holhol

Post by Holhol »

SuperGanondorf wrote:
Holhol wrote:It's hilarious that in a country where you have a right to speak freely, you get punished for doing so.

Nobody's punishing the people for speaking freely. They're being punished for illegally demonstrating on school-owned property despite demands from the school to stop. And that crowd does seem pretty violent.

Saying they have every right to be there protesting is like saying they have a right to come into my house and protest even after I tell them to get out. No, they absolutely do not have a right to protest there if they are told by the school they cannot protest there and they need to obey the school's orders or prepare to face the consequences. Same thing with the police- if they are told by the police they need to move, they need to move even if they feel like they are doing nothing wrong. That or prepare to face the consequences. Could you argue that the police overreacted? Yes, but saying that they just started beating up on people or that they are being oppressive and abusing their power and trying to prevent peaceful protest as that video title suggests is totally bogus. They did not come in, guns and batons blazing, and beat people down. The crowd reacted violently to their presence and they reacted accordingly after several attempts to calm the situation. The police did absolutely nothing wrong at Baruch and I think they were justified at Davis as well.

Also, funny you should mention riots, because several of these "peaceful protests" have turned into riots. Like Occupy Oakland: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/0 ... 73325.html
Did I ever say they had the right to be in the school?

And yes, they did abuse their power. Again, they are only supposed to use physical violence when a life is at stake. Do you see anybody in danger of dying?

And I wasn't aware of that, actually.

Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

There's a difference between "Freedom of speech" and "You can say whatever you want whenever you want"

(Also, I'm with SG on this one. He's doing a pretty eloquent job, so... yeah, I'll just leave you to it for now :P)
Holhol

Post by Holhol »

It's funny how this has nothing to do with that, but okay. :cute:

Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

The exact "fire in a crowded theater example," doesn't, but the idea that "free speech" does not entail 100% free speech does.