To the Techies/Power Users Here: VMWare or Virtualbox?

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Phantom

To the Techies/Power Users Here: VMWare or Virtualbox?

Post by Phantom »

Hey guys, I need some sort of virtualization tool that allows me to run Windows XP under my Windows 7 Ultrabook.

While I don't have the original install CDs, I do still have my legitimate product key.

The reason why I'm doing this is because my netbook is way past its lifecycle, with the labels/stickers of the product keys almost completely faded out, and I don't want to take risk in waiting for the hard drive to completely crash on me out of the blue. I still like using Windows XP, so I want to have it emulated when I have a want/need to.

However, the other reason is so I can try out a sample of Windows 8, without the need to actually install it on my hard-drive and have the need to dual-boot here and there.

So I was wondering which virtualization tool is better for my needs, VMWare Player, or Virtualbox?

I'm mainly looking at something that's stable and speedy, without the need to bloat up my hard drive space/computer memory.

I'm going to try Virtualbox at the time of this post and see how it works out ;)
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Re: To the Techies/Power Users Here: VMWare or Virtualbox?

Post by Meph »

Are you using Windows 7 Professional. If so, you can use XP Mode in Windows Virtual PC to run Windows XP performantly (yes, I know I just made up a word :P ).

I've used VirtualBox before and it's always been OK when trying out Windows 8. But hands down, you should use VMWare Player. For many reasons, it's better, and I regret not using it myself. But are you definitely sure your computer is fast enough to run virtual machines? :)

Also, it'll be difficult for you to get an install of the RTM version of Windows 8. They don't make clean installation CDs at retail anymore; only upgrade versions. To get a clean install of Windows 8, you have to use an OEM tool that Microsoft have made.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Meph wrote:Are you using Windows 7 Professional. If so, you can use XP Mode in Windows Virtual PC to run Windows XP performantly (yes, I know I just made up a word :P ).

I've used VirtualBox before and it's always been OK when trying out Windows 8. But hands down, you should use VMWare Player. For many reasons, it's better, and I regret not using it myself. But are you definitely sure your computer is fast enough to run virtual machines? :)

Also, it'll be difficult for you to get an install of the RTM version of Windows 8. They don't make clean installation CDs at retail anymore; only upgrade versions. To get a clean install of Windows 8, you have to use an OEM tool that Microsoft have made.

-I only have the Home edition (the most basic OS), and no XP mode is available on that. That was my first option actually, but didn't know that it was not supported.

-Is VMware more stable/less intensive on my CPU memory?

-I'm on an Ultrabook, 6 gigs of RAM alone just blows my mind ;P, I can more than handle it.

-Does MS not provide an image to download?
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Post by Meph »

Puddin' wrote:Is VMware more stable/less intensive on my CPU memory?
As far as I'm aware, yeah. :) It also has a simpler UI.
Puddin' wrote:I'm on an Ultrabook, 6 gigs of RAM alone just blows my mind ;P, I can more than handle it.
Well I've got a single core, 2 GB of RAM desktop with a built-in graphics chipset, so :takethat:! :P But yeah, that'll be perfect for virtualisation. Make sure you check if hardware assisted virtualisation is enabled on your Ultrabook (this makes it easier for the CPU to run a guest OS). Search for a YouTube video on how to enable "Intel VT-x".
Puddin' wrote:Does MS not provide an image to download?
They haven't announced exactly how you're going to be able to do it yet (as part of their trademark wall of silence), but they'll probably let you download a copy for about $40. We'll know on 26th October.