The NaNoWriMo Thread - National Novel Writing Month

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

deHughes
Spoken languages: English

The NaNoWriMo Thread - National Novel Writing Month

Post by deHughes »

It's not much of a surprise that many people on AAO are writers of some kind or another. Some may wish to pursue post-secondary study in the topic, some may only wish to have it as hobby and improve their skills in it, while other may simply being doing it for the fun of it all. This site has a wide cast of its own crazy characters with every one of us having something unique and interesting about us, but joined together by one common thread. An urge to be creative and weave together entertaining works of fiction for others to enjoy. That's why we, as a community based around a trial creation system and a vast amount of roleplays, exist and thrive. So, I figured I would go out and do some plugging for a great little program which I'll be taking part in this month.

National Novel Writing Month, NaNoWriMo for short, is an attempt to combat against the infamous pain in the ass that is writer's block and procrastination. For the month of November, 12:00:00AM on Nov.1 - 11:59:59 Nov. 30, you task yourself with creating a full blown novel of whatever you want. Science fiction? Go for it. Fantasy? I raise my axe for your dwarven brothers. Detective Fiction? Well, that is what this site is based around, isn't it? NaNoWriMo is a program where you set your own limitations, boundaries and investments. Why not attempt to take a month and be able to call yourself a novelist, all you have to harm is yourself should you try not to.

NaNoWriMo does have some set guidelines if you wish for a base to work with, however you're free to go at your own pace and set up your own landmarks. The program itself encourages those who take it to write 50,000 words (roughly 175 pages) in the thirty days it gives. It also encourages you focus entirely on the creative writing aspect of writing, leaving editing for when December comes. You are simply trying to topple the obstacles that are writing your complete first draft through this program, and that's much easier to do if you focus entirely on the draft, not making it a final copy. But, hey, you're the writer here. If you only want to do a novella of 5,000 words, go for it! If you want to edit after every chapter, that'll give you a better base for when the month is over! Do what you want, but do the writing!

While the goal of NaNoWriMo is definitely something to admire, you have to wonder what makes this any different than any other month? You could do this there if you wanted to.

Yep, that's about right. You can do this at anytime. December, January, June. But would you? Would you just say that you're going to write 50,000 words in a month for any random month of the year? No, of course not.

NaNoWriMo attempts to combat this cynical way of thinking by offering a whole community of its own to assist you, and various tools to help motivate you to writing. The NaNoWriMo website, linked at the bottom of the page, offers a forum of its own where over 250,000 people have taken the challenge up. Here you can talk with other writers, ask for help with some particular problems you find yourself having(such as character names, development plotlines and hooks, and more), dig through piles of advice for your newfound craft, or just entertain you if you feel down through various stories.

NaNoWriMo also includes a region system where you inform it of your geographical location. This places you into a grouping with all the other writers undertaking the challenge this year. These groups hold special get-togethers over to course of the month to do a meet and greet, a celebration when finished, and writing parties, where you get together and write, then go and grab a cup of coffee. My local region currently has 5 write-ins planned, along with the kick-off and ending celebration. These regional groups also have let you see where special locations collaborating with the program are located, allowing you to know nice places to go and do work on your project in peace. I'm actually located about 5 minutes from a bookstore that in working with NaNoWriMo and is holding our parties. This allows you to have a great chance at going and meeting some interesting people and having people taking the challenge literally right next to you. You not only have the potential to make some great friends through this, but also have some serious motivation given through not wanting to disappoint those in your group.

Finally, NaNoWriMo has a writer's log that allows you to update word count on a daily basis and post excerpts from your work for others to read. This will allow you to see your word count accumulate in real time, and give you a constant update on how your story is taking shape. Nothing makes a writer feel more giddy than justifying their work through a visual showing that you've just gotten into a new set of digits in your word count. Savor every thousand words you make, and be proud of your accomplishments.

NaNoWriMo does have a few rules for "winning" the program. This does not involve any sort of competition with other writers, but is no less satisfying. You're simply competing with yourself to see this project through. This is gonna be easier to just copy/paste, so that's what I'll do.
NaNoWriMo Website wrote:
Win or lose, you rock for even trying.
That’s all there is to it! Occasionally, participants write in to ask about the rules of the event. We don’t have many! But because we’ve found that creativity is often heightened by constraints (and communities bolstered by shared goals) we have evolved a handful of rules over the years. The rules state that, to be an official NaNoWriMo winner, you must…
  • -Write a 50,000-word (or longer!) novel, between November 1 and November 30.
    -Start from scratch. None of your own previously written prose can be included in your NaNoWriMo draft (though outlines, character sketches, and research are all fine, as are citations from other people’s works).
    -Write a novel. We define a novel as a lengthy work of fiction. If you consider the book you’re writing a novel, we consider it a novel too!
    -Be the sole author of your novel. Apart from those citations mentioned two bullet-points up.
    Write more than one word repeated 50,000 times.
    -Upload your novel for word-count validation to our site between November 25 and November 30.
- The NaNoWriMo website.
- The NaNoWriMo Youth website (if you are over 13, you may take part in regular NaNoWriMo. Can't be older than 17 for this program. This has flexible word count.)
TV Tropes page
Last edited by deHughes on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageLevel:15ImageLevel:5ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15

Tasha Krantz sprite courtesy of gotMLK7.
Sleuth

Re: The NaNoWriMo Thread - National Novel Writing Month

Post by Sleuth »

Well, goodbye, all remaining free time.
Holhol

Post by Holhol »

I can't decide whether I love or hate you. I was gonna post this myself, but you beat me to the punch. D:

Anyways, NaNo is a great experience. Last year it was quite challenging and I wasn't quite prepared, but it was fun. Hopefully, I can get involved with the region system this year.

Also, you might want to inform everybody that (IIRC), they'll actually let you get a paperback copy of the book when you finished. Though I got this from a friend, not sure if it's reliable or not...
~Danielinhoni is the bestest friend anybody could ask for~

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

TKinhonipei is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Liquid Snake wrote:Snake, did you like my sunglasses?
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

*laughs insanely*

I might accept this challenge.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Does TBT count as a novel? If so, might try this.

And Blackrune, you'd better do it in English xP
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

I would join this, but EFFORT. And my schedule probably wouldn't let me have enough time. I'm just here to demand Truf to add the NaNoWriMo TV Tropes page to the OP for no reason.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
Holhol

Post by Holhol »

GuardianDreamer wrote:I would join this, but EFFORT.
1667 words a day isn't that hard.
~Danielinhoni is the bestest friend anybody could ask for~

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

TKinhonipei is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Liquid Snake wrote:Snake, did you like my sunglasses?
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

I would have liked to participate this year, but I think I'm gonna be pretty written out by the time the month comes. XP Good luck to everyone who's giving it a shot, though!
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Eh... Never been one to write something just for the sake of doing so.

Gods sakes, I can't even figure out WHAT I want to write.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Holhol wrote:
GuardianDreamer wrote:I would join this, but EFFORT.
1667 words a day isn't that hard.
It is when your schedule is messed up and you have a lot of other things to work on.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

...You know there's actually something I'd have loved to work on for this if it was planned out. Cases really don't count and I obviously wouldn't submit it or anything but MEH it goes hand in hand well enough and it's a reason to be productive.

Problem is, I can't plan worth a crap because I fail logic forever and I never know what I want to do with anything and bleh why don't I just quit while I'm still not super behind. ~_~
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Well, I'm actually really pumped up because of AP Language Arts. I recently read an article on "Freewriting", so I'm willing to give it a shot.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Wampyr wrote:Gods sakes, I can't even figure out WHAT I want to write.
A novel

:teeschlegelsteinhausenberdorf:
deHughes

Post by deHughes »

@Hol: You know ya love me. <3

@Rune: I expect to see Turnabout Executioner's first draft to be done by December. Don't disappoint or you will be mocked. <3

@BP: "We define a novel as a lengthy work of fiction." Just ignore the sole writer rule, because no one likes the rules anyways. I expect TBT out by tomorrow. Hughes <3.

BB: One of the points about NaNo is getting over that "My story isn't good enough" block and just WRITING it. Because you'll never improve if you never do the work. If you can't do a trial, then do not do a trial. Make a basic novel without any kind of reader interaction. Can't do something where the stakes are super high because it seems to silly? Then don't set the stakes high. Write a comedy or a satire, or a slice of life, or anything really. You don't have to be the new Edgar Allen Poe with your first novel. You'll never be the new Edgar Allen Poe with your first novel. Just write SOMETHING. Hell, do a collection of short stories if you can't do a 50,000 word novel. Just WRITE and you'll find yourself improving. Required heart, <3
ImageImageLevel:15ImageLevel:5ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15

Tasha Krantz sprite courtesy of gotMLK7.
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

Wow. This looks downright amazing. If I have time next month I am definitely, 100% on board with this.
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P