Annoyed about something? RANT!

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Alnar
Spoken languages: ??????

Re: Annoyed about something? RANT!

Post by Alnar »

Late by one single minute and I'm not allowed to enter the classroom anymore? Well, maybe if I you told me this during the first class we had... oh wait, THIS IS THE FIRST CLASS WE'RE HAVING FOR THE SEMESTER.

At least now I know I should be camping outside the classroom before this particular period.
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

You don't love Robot Combat if you want to watch the old CC era of BattleBots and play Robot Arena 2 and crap on every effort this medium makes to get back into mainstream attention.

So don't stand there and tell me that you do. I guess you want us all to relieve the day they took BattleBots off the air and bury this whole thing underground for another ten years, huh? And you'll be fine with that because you'll have all of this old content of the sport to hang up in a museum where only the elite will remember it. Give me a break.

CC-era BattleBots? Robot Wars? RA2? I get it. That stuff was my childhood. My whole life. But this is ridiculous.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
energizerspark
Spoken languages: English

Post by energizerspark »

I feel like people seem to think I'm considerably happier than I actually am
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
TheReaper
Spoken languages: English, French

Post by TheReaper »

Everytime I start something, I'm always unable to finish it, no matter what it is, if the project is even slightly big, I never finish it.
I don't know if it has to do with my lack of attention, or my lack of patience, but whatever it is, it's damn annoying.
123fendas
Spoken languages: Svenska, English

Post by 123fendas »

TheReaper wrote:Everytime I start something, I'm always unable to finish it, no matter what it is, if the project is even slightly big, I never finish it.
I don't know if it has to do with my lack of attention, or my lack of patience, but whatever it is, it's damn annoying.
Same for me.

One example: on my old YouTube channel, I used to START so many let's play's, thinking I'd make about 30 videos of them or whatever, but I end up doing 2, or 3, or 1.

Have a look yourself.
Acid Rain
Spoken languages: English, Canadian Redneck English

Post by Acid Rain »

You know that feeling you get when you stop and think and realize that you misinterpreted the lyrics to a bunch of songs about love and overcoming self-imposed barriers and stuff that you find really inspirational and heartwarming are actually the singer explaining in minute detail about all the ways finding Jesus have made every aspect of his life so so so much better and have therefore lost all reliability and now feels like you're listening to an advertisement?

Because now I know.

rip less cool ttt banner
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

And people thought Rollins was a bad champion.

This fella right here in my avatar needs three extra guys on his side and one guy on the face's team injured to win a 4v4. More like a 7v3.

Oh, and he needs four guys to save him from having to be in the ring with Roman Reigns for fourty more seconds.

I know the odds should favor heels and heels shouldn't be afraid to cheat and all that crap that makes them unlikable characters but this is just absurd. Your CHAMPION needs to look somewhat competent damn it all.

shame us

shame us all

At least that raw had completely excessive amounts of New Day. And boy did we need it.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Spoiler : ugh, this is going to be weird :
So... I have this thing. I'm not sure if it's a problem, or if it IS a problem, what it means. But it's been consuming me all day because of a project I need to work on, and at this point I feel the need to voice it before I start exploding and jumping to conclusions. I'll try and present this in as connected and understandable a manner as possible, even though to me the whole thing is incredibly messy and fragmented.

The thing is that I seem to find female characters inherently more relatable than male characters. But this isn't just an issue of personal preference, I feel, it feels more like a mental block.

Let me explain. For the last several years, I've primarily watched shows with female leads. Which is fine, everybody has their own preference of their own type of show and what they like to watch. But when I watch a show with a male lead, I just find that I often have a less enjoyable experience. And it isn't because of the content of the show or narrative archetypes or anything like that. I just can't connect to the leads as well. And this isn't limited to particular archetypes- it's all across the board. When I watch a show with female leads, I find that I can connect with them, even if I don't necessarily like the show. When I watch a show with male leads, I typically connect with them less and simply can't find nuance, even when supposedly there is some.

I could use a whole host of examples for this. But let's take shounen series. From what I saw of Naruto, I didn't really find Naruto or Sasuke to be interesting characters. I was far more interested in Hinata or Sakura or Ino. Bleach? Same deal. I really didn't care that much about Ichigo, but i really was interested in Rukia. When I watch Jojo, the main show I've seen lately that is extremely male-centric, I am continually told that these characters have a level of nuance to them, but I simply don't see it. In fact, I end up being far more interested in the female characters and what is going to happen with them- or if they're going to appear- than with the exploits of the actual male characters.

Even in series where I can find depth with male characters, I don't connect with them- it's a female character that acts as the anchor. To use one more anime example, I can see depth in Ryuuji. But I mostly see it through interactiosn with Taiga, and she is, in some ways, my anchor to Ryuuji as a character, despite the fact that the story is told from Ryuuji's point of view. Or, to move away from anime, take The Mentalist. Patrick Jane is the character the show focuses on, who gets the most depth, and so on. However not only am I using the female protagonist Agent Lisbon, as an anchor- which is somewhat understandable, she's the Watson of the show- but I'm almost more interested in what is going on with her than what is going on with Patrick Jane, despite the fact that her characterization is far more minimalistic and haphazard.

And in the end, it's gotten to the point where I simply lose motivation to watch a show because I know it will be primarily male-centric. Which is bizarre and maybe creepy and possibly bigoted but it's true. Like, I've been meaning to watch Red vs. Blue, given that I decently enjoy the show RWBY, it's by the same people, and I hear that it's better. But I just know it's a male dominated story, and I just can't see getting attached to the characters the same way I have from a show with significant author overlap. And this applies to other shows as well.

There's other things too- like my incredible desire to see women in positions of authority- but I can't quite verbalize what the issue there is properly, and I'm not sure if that's just due to my current fragmented state of mind or if it just is something impossible to really put into words in a way that makes it sound like the problem it feels like.

In the end, I guess what it comes down to is that in CAH Ferdie had "Has X amount of prepubescent girls as their avatar" as a "bribe" card for me (and kwand), and the joke seemed to be that it was some weird creepy thing but that genuinely was the characters I could connect to in the things I watched, and when i tried to watch other things, I just didn't feel that same connection.

I just don't know. This feels like it should just be a personal preference, but it feels too serious and extreme to just be one. And it's something I do want to overcome if possible, but i just don't get what the issue even is. Or if it's an issue at all. And that does kinda of scare me a bit.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Spoiler : @NN :
I'd like to say I sort of relate to this, but I can't really claim it's to the same extreme. I totally feel the immediate connection to female characters, however--like, they really don't need much for me to immediately gravitate toward them. Even as a kid I would always pick the female characters to play as if given the choice between totally generic avatars, which usually either confused my other (male) friends or made them question my preference. I CAN form connections with male characters, but they need waaaaaay more than women require for me to get attached to them. And give me a female version of that exact same character and chances are good I'll like them better. Though in regard to male characters, I do also tend to favor androgynous or effeminate ones, as well. I just have a connection with femininity. (Granted, female characters who harbor archetypal masculine traits usually don't do any less for me. This is a bit more complicated to explain, but I probably am just additionally partial to characters who go against stereotypical gender roles in some manner...?) Like I said, it's not as extreme, I'm not inherently blocked off from seeing the depth or nuance in male characters, but I might well be blocked off from being able to see the lack of it in female characters. (Or rather, even if I do recognize it, it's unlikely to be something that makes me like the characters any less.)
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

I HAD 100 GOOD FRAMES FOR THE COMP ENDING IN 3 HOURS AND I FORGOT TO SAVE AND I HIT THE BACK ARROW AND… And… and… and… and… ITS ALL GONE!!!!! :tigre: :tigre: :tigre: :tigre: :tigre:

Oh yeah. Also homework. Who doesn't hate homework.
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

Try using this and pinning your editor tab in future and you should have less trouble.
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

yeah if people could quit posting star wars tfa spoilers in random places that'd be great
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
123fendas
Spoken languages: Svenska, English

Post by 123fendas »

AceAttorneyMaster111 wrote:I HAD 100 GOOD FRAMES FOR THE COMP ENDING IN 3 HOURS AND I FORGOT TO SAVE AND I HIT THE BACK ARROW AND… And… and… and… and… ITS ALL GONE!!!!! :tigre: :tigre: :tigre: :tigre: :tigre:
I know the feeling! I'm sorry for what happened.
energizerspark wrote:yeah if people could quit posting star wars tfa spoilers in random places that'd be great
Yeah, I'm lucky to not have seen a single spoiler yet.

EDIT: Now I've seen one. :S
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Stupid me for being stupid. I submitted a college application that's not due until April which means I had SO MUCH TIME TO WRITE A BETTER APPLICATION ESSAY THAN I DID. DX

I'm just... I haven't felt this frustrated and broken in awhile. It's a very jarring sensation.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

gotta love when people who you thought were not exactly friends but friendly enough were actually being jerks about you behind your back the whole time
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading: