Broken Commandments

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

TimeAxis
Spoken languages: English

Re: Broken Commandments

Post by TimeAxis »

Only 12 hours left to submit entries. If anybody’s still working on theirs, now’s the time to cut your losses and submit what you’ve got.

I’m going to try to review these over the course of the next week, and then I’ll probably post my reviews in a batch afterward.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Five is a solid number of entries. Not too many to play and judge, but not so little its depressing.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Bannedfrom7

Post by Bannedfrom7 »

That number will change soon >:)
I am Banned
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

Trybien wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:57 pm Five is a solid number of entries. Not too many to play and judge, but not so little its depressing.
Maybe, but there are still 7 entrants who haven't submitted, and only 4 hours left.

I want those entries, guys. Pump those mysteries into my veins.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
eerew

Post by eerew »

TimeAxis wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:46 pm Only 12 hours left to submit entries. If anybody’s still working on theirs, now’s the time to cut your losses and submit what you’ve got.

I’m going to try to review these over the course of the next week, and then I’ll probably post my reviews in a batch afterward.
Can you edit the orginal forum post with results/trophies/links to the games whenever you finish judging the contest? Makes things a lot more convinient and i've seen some contests that don't do it. Thanks in advance if you do so :maya:
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

eerew wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:30 am
TimeAxis wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:46 pm Only 12 hours left to submit entries. If anybody’s still working on theirs, now’s the time to cut your losses and submit what you’ve got.

Can you edit the orginal forum post with results/trophies/links to the games whenever you finish judging the contest? Makes things a lot more convinient and i've seen some contests that don't do it. Thanks in advance if you do so :maya:
That'll be up to Awsome2464 since I'm not the one who made the OP.

Also, I can confirm that we've received Blackrune's entry.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

One hour left! Good luck, everyone!

Also, quick question: Once the submission period is over, but judging hasn't finished yet, is it okay for entrants to play each other's things? Since that wouldn't involve any entries being edited since the deadline would've passed.
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

eerew wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:30 am

I don't see why not. I'll make the ceremony link and awards its own post on the forum so people will see the update, then I'll copy-paste it to the original post for returning convenience
risefromtheashes wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:52 am One hour left! Good luck, everyone!

Also, quick question: Once the submission period is over, but judging hasn't finished yet, is it okay for entrants to play each other's things? Since that wouldn't involve any entries being edited since the deadline would've passed.
Well, to directly quote the general case comp rules:
Entrants must not show their entry to anyone other than the host or playtesters until the end of the deadline specified in the custom rules.
However, I feel like this falls into the "showcasing" category, which the custom rules states can't be done until the case is judged.
Image Image
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

That's it! The deadline has come and gone!

While there is still a submission grace period for any unforeseen complications, all active work on competitions must now cease.

As of now, our list of entries is at a grand total of 9, the entrants being:
  • Gizmological
  • risefromtheashes
  • DWaM
  • Trybien and Spongesonic
  • DJJ6800
  • Blackrune
  • Bannedfrom7 and Super legenda
  • enigma and DLA
  • DannyPlaysSomeGames
That's still a hefty amount of entries, and I'm looking forward to judging them all! I'll play as many as I can this weekend to hopefully get the reviews finished ASAP. Good luck to everyone, and TimeAxis and I will make sure to be as fair as we can in our reviews.
Image Image
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Awsome2464 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:14 am That's it! The deadline has come and gone!

While there is still a submission grace period for any unforeseen complications, all active work on competitions must now cease.

• Gizmological
  • risefromtheashes
  • DWaM
  • DJJ6800
  • Blackrune
  • enigma and DLA
  • DannyPlaysSomeGames
That's still a hefty amount of entries, and I'm looking forward to judging them all! I'll play as many as I can this weekend to hopefully get the reviews finished ASAP. Good luck to everyone, and TimeAxis and I will make sure to be as fair as we can in our reviews.
This truly is the most ambitious crossover event in history. Good luck picking a winner in a batch like this. :calisto:
DannyPlaysSomeGames
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by DannyPlaysSomeGames »

Awsome2464 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:14 am That's it! The deadline has come and gone!

• Gizmological
  • risefromtheashes
  • DWaM
  • DJJ6800
  • Blackrune
  • enigma and DLA
  • DannyPlaysSomeGames
Good luck to all the entrats!

By the way, I forgot to mention, but my submission has some minor spoilers for SoJ.
Hey there
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

• Gizmological
  • risefromtheashes
  • DWaM
  • DJJ6800
  • Blackrune
  • enigma and DLA
  • DannyPlaysSomeGames
Good luck, everybody!!! :D
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

Review: "The Dividing Line" by Gizmological
Spoiler : :
A whodunit where even the killer doesn't know whodunit

Synopsis: A man and a woman awake in a locked room, having no memories of their identities or previous events. Working together, they must figure out which one of them killed the third person in the room with them.

Spoiler : Broken/Followed Commandments :
Broken Commandment:
  • Rule 2: All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course.

Followed Commandment:
  • Rule 4: No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.
Story: Right off the bat, I was hooked into what was going on in this scenario, and when the main plot of figuring out which of these 2 amnesiacs was responsible for the murder was revealed, I definitely was intrigued into figuring it out. It's a relatively short mystery, only taking a couple of hours for my playthrough, but seeing our protagonists' dynamic evolve in that time was very believable, with them both being very logical thinkers in their accusations of the other while simultaneously showing them pity and sympathy. It's also worth mentioning that this case has multiple endings that can be achieved based on your decisions. While each ending makes sense in its context, the real light shines on the true ending. I won't spoil it here, but it was definitely great at wrapping everything up and answering all the questions the player had. Overall, the story was very well-written and had me invested the whole way through.

Presentation: While the character sprites we see in this case come from the free-to-use forums and the music is from a pre-existing game, that's about where the premade assets end. The backgrounds and evidence all seem to be custom-made for the case, which is very impressive given how much of it there is. And even though premade assets were used, they were still used wonderfully and believably, with the character sprites and music doing well to showcase the proper tone. Also, the beginning of the case has a custom title screen, which gives a good cinematic feel for me. There was one moment of immersion-break, however, and that was during a gameplay segment where we had to answer three questions pertaining to a much larger question, which each answer having a corresponding pictogram. While that is certainly a nice touch, the pictogram doesn't change once it's selected, even when you pick a new answer. But that's in no way game-breaking, and it's my only issue with the presentation, so this is otherwise a very well-looking case!

Gameplay: For the most part, this is standard Ace Attorney-like gameplay, with an investigation to gather evidence and then a debate (trial) to figure out who the culprit is. The logic in this section is sound for the most part, though there were a couple of times I needed the guide to find the "contradictions", as my thought process was technically correct, but the way to present it was wrong. One of these instances actually did feel unfair, as a key fact about the particular evidence led me to believe that it couldn't be what the game was looking for. But for the most part, this basic gameplay we've come to know and love was easy to understand and follow. There were a few custom gameplay mechanics added, as well. As mentioned in Presentation, there are certain points similar to thought routes from DD and SoJ where you have to think back on all that you know to answer three smaller questions that, when combined, answer an overarching question. While I pointed out the slight issue I had with the presentation of this, the mechanic itself was decently-executed, though if you really have no idea what the answer could be, it'll be hard to guess it, as there are so many different combinations to go through, with me actually getting stuck briefly because my logic was a bit off. Fortunately, though, I wasn't so far off track to where I needed the guide, and I got another one of these segments done on the first try, so it's overall not a bad mechanic. There is also one more gameplay mechanic added to this case, but going into detail requires spoiling the ending, so I won't do that here. All I'll say is that it was very immersive and was a fitting way to reveal a plot point before it was officially revealed.

Theme Relevance: As much as I've praised this case so far, there is one major criticism I have to give, and that's the fact that, even after completing the true ending, it wasn't really immediately clear which rule was broken and which was intentionally followed. I believe I've finally worked it out, as showcased at the start of the review, but the fact that it needed a good chunk of thought, as well as the fact I'm still not sure if that was the intended "answer", is definitely hurting the case in this department. Not by a lot, mind you, as it was able to be deduced with some thought, but it wasn't as clear as I would've liked.

Final Thoughts: Overall, "The Dividing Line" is a great mystery that had me hooked and invested the entire way through, with an ending that really brings everything together. While figuring out the theme relevance was a bit difficult, it still did a good job at executing the task given once it was worked out. And since this case is completed, I really hope Gizmological makes the case available for you all to play, as it's one I think you'll all enjoy.
Last edited by Awsome2464 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Awsome2464 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:12 am Review: "The Dividing Line" by Gizmological

Synopsis: A man and a woman awake in a locked room, having no memories of their identities or previous events. Working together, they must figure out which one of them killed the third person in the room with them.

Broken Commandment:
  • Rule 2: All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course.

Followed Commandment:
  • Rule 4: No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.

Story: Right off the bat, I was hooked into what was going on in this scenario, and when the main plot of figuring out which of these 2 amnesiacs was responsible for the murder was revealed, I definitely was intrigued into figuring it out. It's a relatively short mystery, only taking a couple of hours for my playthrough, but seeing our protagonists' dynamic evolve in that time was very believable, with them both being very logical thinkers in their accusations of the other while simultaneously showing them pity and sympathy. It's also worth mentioning that this case has multiple endings that can be achieved based on your decisions. While each ending makes sense in its context, the real light shines on the true ending. I won't spoil it here, but it was definitely great at wrapping everything up and answering all the questions the player had. Overall, the story was very well-written and had me invested the whole way through.

Presentation: While the character sprites we see in this case come from the free-to-use forums and the music is from a pre-existing game, that's about where the premade assets end. The backgrounds and evidence all seem to be custom-made for the case, which is very impressive given how much of it there is. And even though premade assets were used, they were still used wonderfully and believably, with the character sprites and music doing well to showcase the proper tone. Also, the beginning of the case has a custom title screen, which gives a good cinematic feel for me. There was one moment of immersion-break, however, and that was during a gameplay segment where we had to answer three questions pertaining to a much larger question, which each answer having a corresponding pictogram. While that is certainly a nice touch, the pictogram doesn't change once it's selected, even when you pick a new answer. But that's in no way game-breaking, and it's my only issue with the presentation, so this is otherwise a very well-looking case!

Gameplay: For the most part, this is standard Ace Attorney-like gameplay, with an investigation to gather evidence and then a debate (trial) to figure out who the culprit is. The logic in this section is sound for the most part, though there were a couple of times I needed the guide to find the "contradictions", as my thought process was technically correct, but the way to present it was wrong. One of these instances actually did feel unfair, as a key fact about the particular evidence led me to believe that it couldn't be what the game was looking for. But for the most part, this basic gameplay we've come to know and love was easy to understand and follow. There were a few custom gameplay mechanics added, as well. As mentioned in Presentation, there are certain points similar to thought routes from DD and SoJ where you have to think back on all that you know to answer three smaller questions that, when combined, answer an overarching question. While I pointed out the slight issue I had with the presentation of this, the mechanic itself was decently-executed, though if you really have no idea what the answer could be, it'll be hard to guess it, as there are so many different combinations to go through, with me actually getting stuck briefly because my logic was a bit off. Fortunately, though, I wasn't so far off track to where I needed the guide, and I got another one of these segments done on the first try, so it's overall not a bad mechanic. There is also one more gameplay mechanic added to this case, but going into detail requires spoiling the ending, so I won't do that here. All I'll say is that it was very immersive and was a fitting way to reveal a plot point before it was officially revealed.

Theme Relevance: As much as I've praised this case so far, there is one major criticism I have to give, and that's the fact that, even after completing the true ending, it wasn't really immediately clear which rule was broken and which was intentionally followed. I believe I've finally worked it out, as showcased at the start of the review, but the fact that it needed a good chunk of thought, as well as the fact I'm still not sure if that was the intended "answer", is definitely hurting the case in this department. Not by a lot, mind you, as it was able to be deduced with some thought, but it wasn't as clear as I would've liked.

Final Thoughts: Overall, "The Dividing Line" is a great mystery that had me hooked and invested the entire way through, with an ending that really brings everything together. While figuring out the theme relevance was a bit difficult, it still did a good job at executing the task given once it was worked out. And since this case is completed, I really hope Gizmological makes the case available for you all to play, as it's one I think you'll all enjoy.
Wow. That sprite is used in my case, Rune's case and this case. Wonder how many more it's used for.
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

DJJ6800 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:28 am
Awsome2464 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:12 am Review: "The Dividing Line" by Gizmological

Broken Commandment:

Followed Commandment:

Wow. That sprite is used in my case, Rune's case and this case. Wonder how many more it's used for.
That sprite is actually in every AAO fancase, it's illegal not to.
Also, I said this on the discord, but Gizmo's case sounds exactly like my cup of tea. I hope to see it public after judging is over.