A New Kind of Turnabout

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: A New Kind of Turnabout

Post by Enthalpy »

@ clc: Or just change majors. I've seen that, sadly.

@ Blizdi: I'm a little surprised, too! I'll keep an eye on this. Since OOTN logged on just yesterday, I think he can handle this without me having to intervene.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
OrderOfTheNick
Spoken languages: English,Hungarian

Post by OrderOfTheNick »

Sorry about the delay! I'll get right to the point. I received two entries:
The Missing Turnabout by Ann-nna
The BASEic Turnabout by clcman and Mr. Insane

Congratulations to the three of you, and thank you for submitting!
I've been a bit busy with schoolwork, but I'll try to wrap the comp up next week. So, I'll be back with the announcement or a progress report soon.
I made Turnabout in the Two Towers, the winner of the Method in the Madness case competition.
Ann-nna
Spoken languages: English, German

Post by Ann-nna »

I really wouldn't thank me before playing my abomination. XD; And after.
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Ooof. Thank goodness I didn't sign up for this.

I mean, I could have submitted my 80 frame trial, I guess.
Yeah, but no. I'd have had no time to finish this. And I still have other trials I need to finish.

Still, this competition did serve as inspiration for one of my preferred set of characters yet. I think it'll come out good, once I finish it sometime next aeon.

Looking forward to hearing about these entries!
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
OrderOfTheNick
Spoken languages: English,Hungarian

Post by OrderOfTheNick »

Well, I've finished judging. No awards ceremony, since didn't want to delay this any longer. I'll be posting short reviews for the cases below, containing as few spoilers as I could manage.

The Missing Turnabout by Ann-nna
Spoiler : Review :
The Missing Turnabout is an unfinished investigation-only case. It's about the mysterious disappearance of Pierce Maker, the young two-year old son of a wealthy family, and his nanny(Hannah). It is assumed that Hannah kidnapped Pierce. Phoenix Wright and Maya Fey suddenly find themselves in the middle of investigating the case with rookie detective Gaudee Loks, trying to unravel the mystery. Unlike an ordinary AA story, the focus is on the hunt for the culprit and the victim rather than solving the murder and finding the killer.

I would say that the story is interesting so far. Despite the case's length, many characters have been introduced (including some from the AA series), along with the basic elements of the plot. What I have seen is promising.

The case was presented pretty well. I didn't notice any problems that really bothered me. Smaller errors, such as the occasional typo (which are natural for an unfinished case) didn't distract from the experience.

Not much gameplay here, but what is here works. Some features (presenting, examining) are lacking in content, understandably. There were no puzzles, so fairness wasn't an issue.

This story fits the theme well. It's an investigation with no trial in sight(as far as I noticed), and it definitely feels more like a mystery story than an AA case.

Overall, I enjoyed this, and I think it shows promise. Interested in the continuation!
The BASEic Turnabout by clcman and Mr. Insane
Spoiler : Review :
The BASEic Turnabout is another investigation-only case. However, this one is a supernatural mystery featuring BASE, an agency responsible for investigating paranormal activity (which you may know from a certain other case competition). The story is reminiscent of a 'whodunit' mystery, but is not about solving a crime, but finding the odd one out - the suspect who is not actually human, and is able to disguise this fact by altering reality. The investigation becomes a race against time as our "detective", an agent of BASE needs to figure out and outsmart this being before it can use its powers on her.

This case provides an engaging story, with entertaining characters and an intriguing mystery. It hasn't reached a conclusion, but has set up an interesting scenario and leads the player to theorize on possible developments.

No major problems with presentation - fitting graphics and no distracting errors. There is a distinct lack of music in most scenes, but that didn't hamper my enjoyment.

Minimal gameplay, as expected for an unfinished case. One interesting puzzle, which I quite liked, required using an item found earlier as part of the investigation.

This entry definitely fits the theme. It uses the investigation mechanics to tell its story, which is unlike any of the supernatural mysteries the AA games have featured.

Overall, the case was fun. I eagerly await the conclusion!
Comparing the Entries
Spoiler : :
The entries were both enjoyable, and provided two similar, yet distinct, but still valid interpretations of the theme. They were short, unfinished, had little gameplay and were presented well.
However, one of the two felt had a more in-depth story which intrigued me more, which leads me to declare it the winner.
The Winner
Spoiler : :
The BASEic Turnabout by clcman and Mr. Insane. Congratulations!
I would like to thank everyone who entered, especially the three who could submit entries. These cases are good so far, and I expect them to be great once they're finished. If you see them, go take a look!
I made Turnabout in the Two Towers, the winner of the Method in the Madness case competition.
clcman
Spoken languages: English

Post by clcman »

Spoiler : Winner :
Wow! Thanks so much! BASEic was quite fun to work on, and I hope it'll be in a condition to share with everyone else soon!

Also, congratulations to Ann-nna for turning in what sounds like a fun case as well. I hope I'll get to play it someday.

New competition will be up once I have a chance to discuss this with Mr. Insane.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Ann-nna

Post by Ann-nna »

Yaaaay! Congrats, thanks, and I'm glad the next comp's not my responsibility, mwahaha. XD
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Responsibility can be always dodged ;]

Congrats to the winner.
Mr. Insane
Spoken languages: English, Dutch

Post by Mr. Insane »

Gamer2002 wrote:Responsibility can be always dodged ;]
My school career can confirm this statement.

I am planning on co-hosting the next competition, but I’ll havw to discuss with clcman first. Ann-nna, you were amazing competition!
Well, I don't consider myself crazy...

I prefer insane...
But that's Mr. Insane for you.
Ann-nna

Post by Ann-nna »

I'm flattered even if I have no idea how you concluded that. XD
Mr. Insane
Spoken languages: English, Dutch

Post by Mr. Insane »

With my spies who keep an eye on you 24/7
Yeah, I just assumed... but I’m sure you were. :redd:
Well, I don't consider myself crazy...

I prefer insane...
But that's Mr. Insane for you.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Ann-nna wrote:I'm flattered even if I have no idea how you concluded that. XD
Well, OrderoftheNick made your case sound pretty neat. Weirdly enough, by his description it sounds a lot like my case from the previous comp (The Ransomed Turnabout, formerly A Disappearing Turnabout), but my case didn't have a super-original starting premise, so it's probably a coincidence.

On a different note, the new comp theme has been decided upon and there'll be a page up in probably ~24 or less.
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Ann-nna

Post by Ann-nna »

Mr. Insane wrote:With my spies who keep an eye on you 24/7
Yeah, I just assumed... but I’m sure you were. :redd:
Aah, so that's why those birds keep peeking into our windows... XD
clcman wrote:Well, OrderoftheNick made your case sound pretty neat. Weirdly enough, by his description it sounds a lot like my case from the previous comp (The Ransomed Turnabout, formerly A Disappearing Turnabout), but my case didn't have a super-original starting premise, so it's probably a coincidence.
It is a coincidence. I had an idea for my case before the previous competition, but it's the last one (3rd) in my not-even-started series, and I'm slow. That's why it hasn't seen the light of day yet. XD Nevertheless, I hope it's different enough. I could publish it or make you a beta-tester so you could compare.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Ann-nna wrote:
clcman wrote:Well, OrderoftheNick made your case sound pretty neat. Weirdly enough, by his description it sounds a lot like my case from the previous comp (The Ransomed Turnabout, formerly A Disappearing Turnabout), but my case didn't have a super-original starting premise, so it's probably a coincidence.
It is a coincidence. I had an idea for my case before the previous competition, but it's the last one (3rd) in my not-even-started series, and I'm slow. That's why it hasn't seen the light of day yet. XD Nevertheless, I hope it's different enough. I could publish it or make you a beta-tester so you could compare.
I was confident that it was a coincidence. That said, I've never turned down a chance at beta-testing something. PM it to me if you want (I can send you mine if you want to see the difference for yourself.)

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Congratulations to the winner.

You can find the next competition hear.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson