Shelter In Place

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

clcman
Spoken languages: English

Shelter In Place

Post by clcman »

Shelter In Place
Social distancing is harder when you all have to fit onto one screen.

As we write this, the world is shut down, with most of the population hiding in their homes from the alien invaders or whatever it is (I don’t keep up with current events). The good news is that this is a great time to play and make Ace Attorney stuff. The bad news is that weeks of isolation can cause anxiety, loneliness and murderous impulses.

Perfect!

For this competition, we want you to make a case that invokes isolation in a single location. This has two components. One, the case should take place in a single location. This does not have to be one unchanging background (though kudos to you if you can pull that off), but should be something like a single building, small island (wink wink) or a property limited in size. Two, the characters should be unable or unwilling to leave the location, leading to a feeling of being isolated, trapped or stuck. Having the entire case take place in a courthouse because it’s an all-trial case would not be enough, but having characters stuck inside the courthouse and be unable to leave for a period of time (and holding an inpromtu trial in the meantime) would be.

The possible reasons for the isolation are endless. There could be a terrible storm, an inaccessible island, a malfunctioning pocket dimension, a zombie army, a prison cell, a haunted small town that it is easier to enter than leave, a medical quarantine, a spaceship, a warehouse full of deathtraps or even just a character who is very, very lost. Something where the main character could theoretically leave but doesn’t really have that choice (looking for a lost family member, needing the antidote to a poison, a stalker threatening to kill them if they leave) can also work, as long as it gives the feeling of inescapability.

What your plot is once the characters are trapped is up to you. Is this a puzzle case about survival and escape? A character study of the effects of isolation? Or, more likely, a chance to solve a crime under less-than-ideal conditions? Finding a murderer without the aid of the police and forensics resources is bad enough, but what if the killer you are trapped with isn’t planing to stop at one victim?

Judging
Story: Stories are nice. Good mysteries are fun. A solid justification for the scenario's isolation would be wise.
Presentation: Looking and sounding great has never hurt a case. Well, except for that one time.
Gameplay: Fun, clever, stimulating, non-frustrating puzzles, please!
Theme Relevance: The case is primarily in one location and has a tone of entrapment or isolation. (The "primarily" is to give you a little leeway to have an opening scene or something at a different location before the meat of the case begins, but don't push it, please. Unusual non-physical location changes like dreams or hallucinations are permitted as long as they enhance the isolation theme instead of evading it.)

Rules

The entry must have been created between April 19, 2020 and July 20, 2020.
The entry must not be showcased until after the deadline, but may be showcased before the judging period ends.
The entry may be a trial, investigation, comedy or miscellaneous.
The entry may contain spoilers from the first four Ace Attorney games, both Investigations games and Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, but may not have any from Dual Destinies, Spirit of Justice or either Dai Gyakuten Saiban. Music spoilers and non-plot elements of those games are fine (so, for example, you could have Athena Cykes and her mood matrix, but not talk directly about events or villains from Dual Destinies).
The entry must focus on a single, isolating location.
The entry may be incomplete.

Deadline

The entry must be submitted to clcman and AwesomeYears by July 20, 2020 at 11:59 PM EST (with a few hours of wiggle room), with a walkthrough.

Entrants

DJJ6800
risefromtheashes (formerly the.armenator) AKA Ash
Super legenda
DannyPlaysSomeGames
IsaOfTheWorlds
Mirage Xel
Minas
nahu0093
Tiagofvarela
fanfreak247 and mariofan
PatBrownGames
GeneralWrights
Awsome2464
AbsurdAttorney
Last edited by clcman on Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 17 times in total.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
DJJ6800

Re: Shelter In Place

Post by DJJ6800 »

Well, I have nothing better to do so I'm in! Be prepared for The Enemy of my Enemy is my Turnabout!
trialdude

Post by trialdude »

I absolutely love this theme. I'll think on it for a bit to see if I can come up with something workable.
I have the stupidest username in all of AAO. Nowhere else will you find one more stupid.
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

Will I actually follow through with entering this time?

...Much more likely, since I'm three weeks from being done with school for the year. I'm in.
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I'll be around for beta-testing but won't participate. Good luck to the entrants.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

You know what? I want to come back to AAO once all for all, be ready for...
Turnabout of the Final Day
PatBrownGame

Post by PatBrownGame »

this looks like quite the fun theme! I think I might enter if I can think of something.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Updated the entrants list with those confirming entry.

Following a conversation with Super legenda, I have added the following clarification to the theme relevance requirements:
"Theme Relevance: The case is primarily in one location and has a tone of entrapment or isolation. (The "primarily" is to give you a little leeway to have an opening scene or something at a different location before the meat of the case begins, but don't push it, please. Unusual non-physical location changes like dreams or hallucinations are permitted as long as they enhance the isolation theme instead of evading it.)"
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
DannyPlaysSomeGames
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by DannyPlaysSomeGames »

Alright, it's been a while, and I find myself having extra time now that I'm in quarantine (though schoolwork is gonna plague me for the first 2 months of the comp).

Had an idea for a while now, and I think it fits the billing well.

Title is somewhat pending, but I'm thinking something like "A Haunted Turnabout".
Hey there
IsaOfTheWorlds

Post by IsaOfTheWorlds »

Yeah, I'll enter. Isolation gives me the perfect excuse to experiment with a proper locked room mystery in the Ace Attorney format.
IsaOfTheWorlds

Post by IsaOfTheWorlds »

Question, do all characters need to be isolated or is it satisfactory to have the mystery turn on a totally isolated location i.e. a locked room?
clcman

Post by clcman »

Entrant list updated! (Not including trialdude or PatBrownGame at the moment.)

Isa, the main goal is a theme, feeling or tone of isolation, so if you can portray that, you will probably be okay. But the more focus there is on a single location, the better your theme relevance and therefore your chances of winning will be. This might call for some creativity, for example by replacing a courthouse trial with a trial-like debate at the creepy mansion the locked room murder took place at. Or you could do something like make the player get into the victim's head and understand how their isolation was slowly driving them mad by reading their journal entries.

I hope that makes sense. Theme relevance isn't everything, but it is something. A lot of something, in fact.

Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

Here's Final Day's case art! Courtesy of Spybreak001
Spoiler : :
clcman

Post by clcman »

Athena: "Oh no... I'M LATE FOR WORK!!!"

Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

clcman wrote:
Athena: "Oh no... I'M LATE FOR WORK!!!"
LOOOOOOOL! That was a good one!