Looking Back (Awards Ceremony is out!)

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Looking Back (Awards Ceremony is out!)

Post by Super legenda »

Looking Back
(The Competition of ALL Competitions!)

ImageImageImage

No, this isn't the last case comp ever, but you'd still better get in your submissions, clcman!

(Cases referenced above: "Turnabout Christmas", "Professor Layton and the Heavenly Scheme", "Turnabout of the Final Day".)

[Co-hosted by Super legenda and risefromtheashes.]
Ace Attorney Online just turned 13 years old, and like a nostalgic and probably somewhat clingy mother, now that our baby's growing up and becoming a teenager, we're looking back in time at how far they've come. Throughout the years that this wonderful website (this message is not sponsored) has been around, there have been DOZENS of different case competitions, all with their own unique themes and rules... and now, we're bringing them back!

In this competition, you will be able to essentially make your VERY OWN CUSTOM THEME by mixing (at least) three past AAO case competition themes and their rules! (For our own sake, we'll have to limit your choices to case comps that started in 2014 and after. Meaning, "Time Goes By..." and any previous case comps will not be allowed, but anything after that is fair game.)

For example, if you decide on "Shelter in Place", "Three's Company", and "They Shall Not Kill", then you must make a case that takes place in isolation in a single location, with no more than three characters with speaking roles, where no one dies. You must follow these rules to the dot, and there must be emphasis on the different themes. (If you choose a combo such as "Three's Company" and "Keeping it Simple" where the rules partially overlap - in this case, by both restricting the number of characters - we would suggest considering a fourth comp theme to add to the list, to make things more interesting.)

NOTE: "I'll Face Myself" is not a permitted choice for this competition, as it would be difficult to judge if implemented. "Bright Age of the Law", while a special comp, is allowed.
If you choose to use "Roulette Rules", you may pick a prompt from here by either selecting one you want or randomizing a number between 1-37 here if you really want to give yourself a challenge. Also, as there are 2 number #11s, getting a 37 gives you the second 11.

Judging
Story: Of course, the plot of your case must be coherent, and we should be able to keep up with what's going on. An interesting premise, consistent pacing, a good mystery (if applicable), fun characters... all of these things will be considered. Make the most captivating and enjoyable story you can with the themes you choose!
Presentation: Mixing ingredients to make a cake is bound to make it taste good, but it should also look good. This means your case should have working and semi-consistent graphics (sprites, backgrounds, etc), a good selection of music (canon or not, it should fit the theme of your case as a whole), and most importantly, as few bugs as possible! If a bug stops us from playing your case, we can't judge it properly - so please, playtest your own case, or have someone (that isn't us or another contestant) playtest it for you.
Gameplay: Do your best to make your case's gameplay engaging and/or unique! There's no fun in playing Ace Attorney if you only get to advance the text, right? So make some fun puzzles, have some intriguing investigations, and maybe implement a new game mechanic if you can, who knows? Sticking to the formula is also fine, but it had better be interesting!
Theme Relevance: This is EXTRA key. Your case must utilize the rules of AT LEAST three different case competitions (from 2014 and after) and follow the rules of the themes you choose by the book. If a rule says "do not have more than three characters with speaking roles", do not sneak in a fourth speaking character. Do NOT break or change any rules - if you want to make an adjustment, PM Super legenda or risefromtheashes to explain what you want to change (with a good justification) and we will try to accommodate your request. (Also, this should go without saying, but just in case: Do NOT use two themes that have the same rules - whether one of them has any additional rules or not - and expect them to be counted as one.)

Rules
- The entry must have been created between August 28 and December 13, 2020.
- The entry must be submitted to Super legenda and risefromtheashes by the deadline, with a full walkthrough.
- The entry must not be showcased until at least December 14, 2020.
- The entry must not be edited once it is submitted, until judging is over and a winner is announced.
- The entry must not contain any spoilers or visuals from Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2, and will be disqualified if it does. It may spoil any other AA game, including Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, and contain music from DGS2. If it contains spoilers for other (non-AA) games, this must be made clear when submitted.
- The entry may be an investigation, trial, both, or any other type of case, as long as it follows the rules of the themes selected.
- The entry may be incomplete, but keep in mind that completeness is almost always much preferred.
- The entry may be created collaboratively by two entrants, but no more than two. Playtesting may be done by a third party, but they must not be a judge or another entrant.

[If you have any questions about the rules of this competition, reply to this thread or PM Super legenda or risefromtheashes and we will answer you as soon as possible.]

Deadline
Entries must be submitted to Super legenda AND risefromtheashes via PM before December 13, 2020 at 11:59 PM (UTC-3). A 24-hour grace period will be provided in case of emergency, Internet failure, or last-minute fixes. A full walkthrough must be provided, so note down any and all choices the player must make to advance your case. Your PM must also include a list of the themes you have chosen, as well as a subsequent list of all the applicable rules.

Entrants
Entered Withdrew
1. ikuzonos
2. Awesome2464
3. AbsurdAttorney
4. DJJ6800
5. PatBrownGame and Double KO
6. Hey
7. Nicky Boy and SuperAj3
8. AwesomeYears
9. ZekromFan57
10. FenrirDarkWolf and DreAmCatcher
Honorary Entrant. clcman (cannot win this comp, but wants to finish three old unfinished comp cases in the spirit of the “Looking Back” theme, which we encourage)
Last edited by Super legenda on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:25 am, edited 28 times in total.
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Re: Looking Back

Post by risefromtheashes »

Really excited to be co-hosting this comp!! SL thought of a VERY clever theme, in my opinion, and I'm thrilled to see what creative ideas y'all come up with! :pearlhappy:
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
clcman
Spoken languages: English

Post by clcman »

For those who don't want to bother digging through the list of old comp threads, here are the options:
Spoiler : :
Short and Sweet by Ferdielance and Enthalpy: Make a case with less than 4,000 frames.
Roulette Rules by enigma and Zeel1: Use one of ~30 randomly-assigned prompts.*
Novus Order Turnaboutum by Calvinball and clcman: Make a case about conspiracies.
The Bright Age of the Law by Unas: Make a positive case about people's faith in the law.**
Ace Everything Else Online by Gamer2002 and enigma: Create something that is not a standard AA trial case.
I Don't Need To Explain That... by Reecer6: Make a case in a setting with entirely different fundamental assumptions compared to regular AA.
Never Trust The Narrator by Evo, DeeYo and kwando1313: Make a case with misleading, lying or mistaken narration, PoV thoughts, evidence descriptions, etc.
I Want To Believe by AcidRain and clcman: Make a case with a possibly supernatural element, and dispute over whether it is legitimate or not.
No Pressure by Tiagofvarela: Make a trial where the protagonist has the advantage most of the time.
Method in the Madness by Gizmological: Make a case where the crime was committed through an absurd or convoluted method.
A New Kind of Turnabout by OrderOfTheNick: Make a story with a structure different from regular Ace Attorney cases.
The Best Worst Comp Ever by clcman and Mr. Insane: Make a case that is so bad, it is great.
I'll Face Myself by Enthalpy: Work on a project that focuses on one of your trial-making weaknesses.***
They Shall Not Kill by Ana: A case where nobody dies.
Keeping It Simple by Southern Corn and cesar26100: Create a normal, not overly-complicated case.
Setting the Stage by bigwins: Make a case with a strong and memorable setting.
The Lawpocalypse by Ann-nna and SuperAj3: Make a case where the (possible or actual) end of the world is a major element.
No Place like AAO for the Holidays by DJJ6800: Have a holiday-themed case.
Three's Company by trialdude: Make a case with three or fewer speaking characters.
Shelter In Place by clcman and AwesomeYears: Make a case with a singular location and themes of isolation.

*You may select one of the 37 prompts listed, but it can be only ONE of your three comp themes, and can't be nearly identical to another theme you have taken. (For example, you can't do both It's The End Of The World As We Know It and The Lawpocalpyse.) For true authenticity, select randomly, but manual choice is permitted. Talk with SL and Ash about this one, since I don't know if that means you can pick anything on the list, randomly roll for one, or if you should skip it entirely.
**Special comp outside of the regular rotation. I'd think it would count, but am not sure. It still counts.
***Special comp outside of the regular rotation. It could be adapted in the way I described, but that's not up to me. It cannot be used.
The Roulette Rules prompts are here: (Yes, there are two #11s. That's the authentic Roulette Rules experience.)
Spoiler : Roulette Rules :
1. The End Of The World As We Know It (Make a case which somehow incorporates the apocalypse)
2. Groundhog’s Day (Make a case that either literally or metaphorically has history or time repeat)
3. Amateur Sleuth (Write a case where the protagonist/PoV character is not related to the law/law enforcement)
4. Brave New World (Write a case set in a world/universe that isn't the AA one)
5. Small Town Murder (Write a case set in a small town. For example, a rural Japanese village)
6. Big City Murder (Write a case that takes place in the big city)
7. Paranoia Agent (Write a case that elicits a feeling of fear or paranoia)
8. Braving The Elements (A case that involves the elements in some way. In addition to fire and ice from before, the case can also factor in water and/or electricity)
9. Blast From The Past (A case set at any point before the first chronological canon case)
10. Future Shock (A case set at any point after the last chronological canon case)
11. Love is in the Air (A case featuring a love story or romance in some way)
11/37. An Arkham Night* (A case featuring atleast one character who is crazy or madness/insanity as a theme)
12. Cyberspace (A case having something to do with the internet or computers in some way)
13. The Sound of Music (A case having something to do with music or musicians)
14. “Y’know, I’ve Learned Something Today…” (A case that gives some sort of moral)
15. Psyche Out (A case that incorporates psychology, the human mind, human nature or the human psyche in some way. Or explores how humans think.)
16. The Midnight Channel (A case which incorporates television or surveillance in some way)
17. The Pen Is Mightier (A case factoring in writing or books in some way)
18. Silverscreen (A case factoring in movies or Hollywood, etc. in some way)
19. The Game: The Game (A case factoring in a video game or video games in some way)
20. Murder By Any Other Name (Write a case in the style of another type of detective fiction)
21. Nation of Imagination (A case that factors in supernatural elements of some kind)
22. Deconstruction Crew (Deconstruct a common element of fiction in some way)
23. Kaleidoscope (A case factoring in multiple colors or colour as an element)
24. And A Child Will Lead Them (A case involving atleast one child or youth in some way)
25. Respect Your Elders (A case involving atleast one character over 50 (Udgey doesn't count :P ) or the idea of becoming old)
26. The Beast Within (A case involving an animal)
27. A Matter of Time (Have to do with time in some way (Have to do with time travel, take place over a long span of time, set in the past/future, have a set TIME LIMIT, focus on a particularly important time in the crime... or just strongly factor in a watch~ Lotta options!))
28. The Final Countdown (A case that factors in numbers in a meaningful way; like 24 for example)
29. Night and Day (Important events happening in either the shining sun or the dark of night)
30. The Shadow (A case involving a dark side or dark counterpart to a character, their reverse. -Ala. Shadows in persona or, say, Furio Tigre)
31. Group Effort (More than one killer, or the killer has an accomplice.)
32. "Courage" (Completely change our perception of a canon character)
33 (alternatively known as 0). Judge Bait (Make a case that bribes the judges in some way)
34. The Other Bench (Play as the prosecutor!)
35. Bloodlines (Involves family members or family relationships)
36. Master of Disaster (Involves a natural disaster)

*Because there are two #11s, if you roll for a theme, have your number generator pick a number between 1 and 37. If you get an 11, take "Love is in the Air", while if you get 37 take "An Arkham Night."
Last edited by clcman on Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:41 am, edited 7 times in total.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

clcman wrote:For those who don't want to bother digging through the list of old comp threads, here are the options:
Spoiler : :
Short and Sweet by Ferdielance and Enthalpy: Make a case with less than 4,000 frames.
Roulette Rules by enigma and Zeel1: Use one of ~30 randomly-assigned prompts.*
Novus Order Turnaboutum by Calvinball and clcman: Make a case about conspiracies.
The Bright Age of the Law by Unas: Make a positive case about people's faith in the law.**
Ace Everything Else Online by Gamer2002 and enigma: Create something that is not a standard AA trial case.
I Don't Need To Explain That... by Reecer6: Make a case in a setting with entirely different fundamental assumptions compared to regular AA.
Never Trust The Narrator by Evo, DeeYo and kwando1313: Make a case with misleading, lying or mistaken narration, PoV thoughts, evidence descriptions, etc.
I Want To Believe by AcidRaid and clcman: Make a case with a possibly supernatural element, and dispute over whether it is legitimate or not.
No Pressure by Tiagofvarela: Make a trial where the protagonist has the advantage most of the time.
Method in the Madness by Gizmological: Make a case where the crime was committed through an absurd or convoluted method.
A New Kind of Turnabout by OrderOfTheNick: Make a story with a structure different from regular Ace Attorney cases.
The Best Worst Comp Ever by clcman and Mr. Insane: Make a case that is so bad, it is great.
I'll Face Myself by Enthalpy: Work on a project outside that focuses on one of your trial-making weaknesses.***
They Shall Not Kill by Ana (formerly AceJakkidFan): A case where nobody dies.
Keeping It Simple by Southern Corn and cesar26100: Create a normal, not overly-complicated case.
Setting the Stage by bigwins: Make a case with a strong and memorable setting.
The Lawpocalypse by Ann-nna and SuperAj3: Make a case where the (possible or actual) end of the world is a major element.
No Place like AAO for the Holidays by DJJ6800: Have a holiday-themed case.
Three's Company by trialdude: Make a case with three or fewer speaking characters.
Shelter In Place by clcman and AwesomeYears: Make a case with a singular location and themes of isolation.

*Talk with SL and Ash about this one, since I don't know if that means you can pick anything on the list, randomly roll for one, or if you should skip it entirely.
**Special comp outside of the regular rotation. I'd think it would count, but am not sure.
***Special comp outside of the regular rotation. It could be adapted in the way I described, but that's not up to me.
Wow! This is extremely useful! Thank you for posting this! And yeah, Roulette Rules and I'll Face Myself wouldn't work, I'll edit the post.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

I mean, it'd require "scouts honour" that they actually landed on what they say they did but people could just roll the roulette themselves if they wanna do roulette rules and tell the judges what they got? Sounds about as difficult to judge as any other prompt.

(The roulette prompts list)
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

enigma wrote:I mean, it'd require "scouts honour" that they actually landed on what they say they did but people could just roll the roulette themselves if they wanna do roulette rules and tell the judges what they got? Sounds about as difficult to judge as any other prompt.

Very well, after some debating, we've decided that we'll allow the Roulette too.
risefromtheashes

Super legenda wrote:
enigma wrote:I mean, it'd require "scouts honour" that they actually landed on what they say they did but people could just roll the roulette themselves if they wanna do roulette rules and tell the judges what they got? Sounds about as difficult to judge as any other prompt.

Very well, after some debating, we've decided that we'll allow the Roulette too.
Yeah, our worry was that if we allowed it, we'd either have to rely on scout's honor or do the randomizing ourselves (which would make an entrant wait on a response, and that would be unfair to them), but then I realized that we could just let someone choose a theme they want if they really want one in particular, so we just decided on that.
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

It's Comp-ception here! BWOWM~

Anyway, I may or may not enter this one. Depends on if I can think up a good idea.
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

Interesting concept... Good luck to those that enter!
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
risefromtheashes

DJJ6800 wrote:It's Comp-ception here! BWOWM~

Anyway, I may or may not enter this one. Depends on if I can think up a good idea.
We'd love to have you! :shock: :pearlhappy:
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:

----------
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

Definitely a clever concept for a contest! If I can come up with a good idea, I'll most likely enter, but we'll see. Thankfully, I'd have significantly more time to work on it compared to Shelter in Place.
Image Image
ikuzonos
Spoken languages: English, limited French

Post by ikuzonos »

I'm pretty inexperienced with AAO, but reading this thread gave me a lot of ideas and I want to deliver on them, so I'm entering this competition! We'll... see how it goes.
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

After looking through all the available themes, I do believe I've got an idea that could work, so count me in!
Image Image
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

Great! You are both in!
risefromtheashes

ikuzonos wrote:I'm pretty inexperienced with AAO, but reading this thread gave me a lot of ideas and I want to deliver on them, so I'm entering this competition! We'll... see how it goes.
Oh, hell yeah. (Also, another they/them pronoun user on here? HELL yeah.)
Spoiler : Unrelated Danganronpa 1 Spoiler (clcman, I swear, don't open this) :
I'm also curious about your username because it makes me think of Mukuro Ikusaba & Sayaka Maizono from Danganronpa 1.
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:

----------