Turnabout of the New Generation

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Turnabout of the New Generation

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Task:
A new year, and the beginning of a new decade, and a new Ace Attorney game on it's way. What better way to celebrate this than a competition based around the new generation of Ace Attorney? Your task, players, is to create a trial about this new generation of AA.

So, here's how it's gonna go down.

Conditions:
  • The entry must have been created between December 16 2010 and February 1st 2011. Yeah, you guys are getting two extra weeks to work on your entries, courtesy of your uncle Blader. You're welcome, kiddies.
  • The entry must not be showcased until February 2nd 2011.
  • Your entry must take place in the Apollo Justice time era. Doesn't mean Apollo has to be your main character. You can go with the usual "Phoenix gets his badge back" but since that idea is so overused and connects with the theme of new generations poorly, I'm going to have to subtract points from originality. Doesn't mean you can't win if the rest of your trial is good enough. Heck, you can even use an OC as an option. Speaking of theme-relevant details, you don't HAVE to have your entry take place around New Year's, but it would be a very nice touch!
  • Optionally, since the AAI series can be considered part of the "new generation", if you want to do an AAI-based trial like Daniel's, by all means give it a whirl if you think you can pull it off. Just remember that you have to do it in the Apollo Justice story arc, and that it doesn't have to be Edgeworth as your main character.
  • Attention to finer details of the newer Ace Attorney entries, such as music, the AA4 courtroom backgrounds, and what have you will be noted.

Deadline:
February 1st, 2011. Not gonna be nitpicky about the time, but it's gone by the time I sign on and start judging on February 2nd, whenever that's going to be. So be sure you get your stuff sent in before you go to bed on the 1st.

Entrants:
  • Bad Player and Ping'. They're the only ones who get a point before their names, because it's BAD PLAYER AND PING', it's a dream tag team!
    Blackrune
    Hold It!
    Koopakirby
    Mimi Mika
    SuperGanondorf
    Trybien and Tap
    The Fury Wraith
    Lilgav
    gombarry
    Trilby
    Diego
    Ishio
    ecopper12
    E.D.Revolution, Vanixa, and Phantom
    Ryu Ushiromiya
NOTICE: If for any reason I am unable to judge the entries at the deadline, Zeel1 will do so in my place.

...So, what do you guys think of this theme?
Last edited by SwagmaWampyr on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 22 times in total.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
henke37
Security expert / tools programmer
Spoken languages: Swedish,English

Re: Turnabout of the New Generation (January 2011 Comp)

Post by henke37 »

It's not the theme I had thought up, but it's better than nothing at all.
Currently working on a redesign of Court-records.net.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

I'm in :3
SwagmaWampyr

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

:O BP Entered my competition this is gonna be the BEST EVER
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Post by Meph »

It's not even Christmas yet, and we're already thinking about next year. :P It's good that this takes two months, since the Christmas period will take up a lot of everyone's time.

(By the way, I've had to edit a bit of your topic so that it meets the competition rules. :) )

However, I think you should be more strict with your theme's conditions. I think it's too vague, since we could have many trials that are completely different. It would be unfair to judge a really long trial with a lot of work put into it against a really short comedy with a lot of work put into it. Maybe you could have a condition where the protagonist must be an AJ character who isn't Apollo.
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Now those conditions leave a lot of freedom.
COUNT ME IN!!! :twisted: :awesome:
Meph

Re: Turnabout of the New Generation

Post by Meph »

But if there's too much freedom, where's the fun? :(
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

You're right. I'd say there should be some more restrictions.
Remilia Scarlet

Post by Remilia Scarlet »

Entrants currently none indeed. Anyhow first I was like pfffft AJ backgrounds screw that but then I came up with a perfect idea so I'm joining.

No more restrictions blargh.
SwagmaWampyr

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

However, I think you should be more strict with your theme's conditions.
Elaborate, I'm being fairly strict here already. It's not really fair if I restrict people to just making Apollo trials, do you have any idea what kind of uproar that would cause?
I think it's too vague
Where is it vague, and how so? I believe I've made the rules of the competition very clear, why do you believe otherwise?
It would be unfair to judge a really long trial with a lot of work put into it against a really short comedy with a lot of work put into it.
We had a mix of serious trials and comedies in the Fall competition, that was going just fine. We had a mix (okay, if by mix you mean one) of serious trials and comedic trials in the Halloween competition. We didn't have any problems combining dramatic and comedic themes then, why are we going to have a problem with it now?

Also, look at parrie's reviews of my entry and gotmlk/Diego's entry in the fall competition for an example of how you can judge serious and comedic entries.
Maybe you could have a condition where the protagonist must be an AJ character who isn't Apollo.
...Meph, I thought you said you didn't want a bunch of different entries. This idea will cause even more of that. Example, Phoenix-centric trials, Ema-centric trials, Trucy-centric trials, Klavier-centric trials, witness-related trials...some of these won't even be court-related, I'll bet.

In addition, Apollo is vital to the theme of this competition, he's the poster child of the new generation. Saying you can't use him is like saying you can't have it snow in a Christmas related trial.
But if there's too much freedom, where's the fun?
Parrie's competition had quite a bit of freedom as well, you could literally just include a few subtle gags about falling and that would pass. In fact, I daresay parrie's competition has more freedom than this. Locking you in the AJ Story arc already eliminates a lot of options.

In addition, how much does a theme really do to restrict people? Let's look at the Halloween competition again, and take Parrie's Curse of Samhain Night, Falco120's Trick or Turnabout, and Wackyman's Turnabout at my Doorstep. All three of these trials are based around Halloween, and they all take place in Halloween, yet they're all very different from each other. Curse of Samhain Night is an eerie and deep emotional story, Trick or Turnabout is a mostly light-hearted trial about Halloween costumes and Trick or Treating, and Turnabout at my Doorstep has a lot of black humor, even including death as a theme. Yes, you want a theme that restricts people, but how much? It's even more boring if every entry winds up the same, and it's going to be controversial if I don't allow Phoenix as an option.

Further, please try to consider the position I am in. If I enforced a "hey no phoenix lawl" rule, that would annoy a lot of people, and they could easily try to elect Hold It! or Mimi as winner of the Fall competition just out of spite, and only saying that it isn't done out of spite. Since I have not officially won the Fall competition, my audience can throw me out the window if they're not pleased with me.

Oh, and Blackrune entered?! Okay, we just need Shadow and Tap in here and it's a clash of the AAO Titans.!
Last edited by SwagmaWampyr on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
ShadowEdgeworth

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

I may enter, the use of the word Generation is just begging for a Star Trek-Based AJ Trial. :awesome:

Watch this space. ;)

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!
SwagmaWampyr

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

I may enter, the use of the word Generation is just begging for a Star Trek-Based AJ Trial.
Apollo Justice as Wesley Striker and Phoenix as Captain Picard.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
ShadowEdgeworth

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

BBblader wrote:
I may enter, the use of the word Generation is just begging for a Star Trek-Based AJ Trial.
Apollo Justice as Wesley Striker and Phoenix as Captain Picard.
Shut up, Wesley! *Facepalms*

Sorry, couldn't resist. xD But yes... That would be fun. :D Gimme a week and I'll let you know. ;)

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!
Master Of Chaos

Post by Master Of Chaos »

Considering when my Trial Series takes place.....I might just enter if I can find time.
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
SwagmaWampyr

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Sorry Chaos, but as of this competition, parts of a trial series can't be entered. :/

Not my rule, btw.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage