Breakin' Da Rules

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Re: Breakin' Da Rules

Post by Gumpei »

BREAKIN' DA GODDAMN Batman RULES
THE RESUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULTS

JUST IGNORE THE WATERMARKS
Hear ye, hear ye! We are gathered here today to...

...to...

...ummmmmmmm...

...What the hell are we gathered here today to do? Wedding? Sure sounded like a wedding... who's getting married? Zeta and Mono? Ping' and another baguette? Tap and touching his wood?

...................wow that last one sounded bad didn't it okay moving on LES GET SOME RESULTS UP IN HEAYAH

I suppose I should spoil a bit of the magic for you guys by saying that alas, this theme was not my idea. No, it was Ping's and Ping's alone. And when he told me the idea, I honestly didn't know what to think of it, other than that it sounded AWESOME. It was broad enough that you could do a ton of things with it without restricting what the author could do, yet it still gave them a starting point to work from. But because of the broadness of the theme, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the entries. I wasn't even sure what I WANTED from the entries. But what we got showed just how much could be done with it.

All entries are different and innovative in their own ways. It's amazing that they all stemmed from the same theme! But that was the idea all along, I suppose. To be different. That's what Breakin' Da Rules is all about!
This definitely wasn't where I got the name from nope nope
And best of all? There wasn't a single entry that I just plain disliked. I found redeeming qualities in all of the entries, and each and every single person who submitted something has talent that's worth pursuing.

I will say that I did have one disappointment. Something that I thought would have been really cool to see was something that I had absolutely no idea the editor could do. Super Undone Curtain 64 came the closest with
Spoiler : :
namechanging,
which I admittedly WAS pretty blown away by, but I thought it would have been so cool to see something like a completely different genre tackled using the editor. Hope Springs had the
Spoiler : :
arcade shooter
which kinda did this, but it was something that I had already personally seen before and it hadn't been particularly modified beyond the original creation. Despite that, this competition introduced us to some amazing innovations that are sure to leave a lasting impact on the trial community.

And not just because of the innovations. Some things achieved were simply amazing accomplishments regardless of the circumstances surrounding them. This is the single biggest competition EVER, in terms of frame count, page number, page views... it's incredible. 12,000 frames from a brand new trial author. About 50,000 frames overall submitted. It's been awesome to be a big part of this, the reviews especially were super fun to do, but you guys are the ones who made it awesome. Thank you.

Also, I always say this, but my point continues to be made that all trials in a given competition have an inter-continuity of sorts. Namely because WHY THE HELL IS THERE SO MUCH UMINEKO?

I'm not complaining or anything. It's just odd to me, considering neither Ping' nor myself have actually played Umineko. At least half the entries have Umineko of sorts in them! I'm surprised there wasn't also an inter-continuity with Touhou. Did you guys accidentally look down one comp. too low and think Burr was hosting it? You're bribing the wrong people!
UMINEKO EVERYWHERE
Now... the time you've all been waiting for. The rankings. Ping' and I had a few differences at first, but I think we've come to a conclusion. We are going to be giving you our third place winner, second place winner, and first place overall winner.

So let's get right into it, shall we? Starting wiiiiiiiith...
Spoiler : THIRD PLACE IS... :
HOPE SPRINGS HOTEL: WHISPER OF WINTER!
By Tap and SwagmaWampyr

...You okay there, Kyle?
This entry kinda saddens me, actually, because I know that both parts 3 and 4 are both completely scripted, yet weren't playable in time for the competition. If those parts HAD been playable, this very well could have been higher up. It may have even won! Who knows? But the fact of the matter is that you two have created a damn fine case that I can't wait to continue playing. The style of a game like Hotel Dusk is captured in all the right ways. The writing is great. The characters are fascinating. The plot is intriguing. The innovations are incredibly apparent from the moment you start playing. Keep doing what you're doing, you two.
Spoiler : SECOND PLACE IS... :
MY DEAREST DIARY!
by ZetaAzuel and Wooper

One day the ridicule will end, Zeta... lolno
I wasn't completely on-board with this case at first, and honestly, I wasn't particularly expecting to be. I like the stuff you put out, Zeta, but you've never made something that I would necessarily consider great. Both ATTTs are really solid works, but they just aren't QUITE on that level yet. But My Dearest Diary definitely is. As soon as the true mystery begins, I was completely engaged by your characters and their story arcs. The typos are still there and they do detract from the case some, but ultimately, your ability to write memorable scenes overcomes that. I can't wait to play more. And you seriously need to finish and release Part 4 already. It is the BEST PART, people. They need to play it. They deserve to!
Spoiler : THE WINNER OF THE BREAKIN' DA RULES COMPETITION IS...! :
NO MORE UNDONE CURTAINS: DESPERATE STRUGGLE!
By DWaM and kwando1313

+200% to Confusion's hit rate
Let me be honest about something. DWAM? I was completely opposed to the idea of you winning. For all intents and purposes, I was actively AGAINST the very notion that you could win this competition. Why? Because winning two competitions in a row is absolutely ridiculous to me. The thought just didn't even register. No, I said. That's not happening. That's STUPID. He should be the one HOSTING this competition, for cryin' out loud!

Then you had to go and make the greatest case ever just to spite me.

This case absolutely blew my damn mind. I already knew you were a great storyteller and writer, but this... this is just... gah, I can't even DESCRIBE it. I was serious about those jealousy comments. This case made me legitimately ANGRY because of how good it was. I've loved cases before, but no case has EVER done that to me! No canon case, no fancase! But this case got on my GODDAMN NERVES! Why the HELL can't I make stuff this good? I don't even REMEMBER the last time I was this jealous of someone else's writing ability.

I've talked up how BANANAS this case is and how disorientating the BANANAS can be, but really, that's stretching it as far as complaints go. I mean, it's true, but it can hardly even be counted as a complaint. It's just a freakin' insane and completely engrossing case. As much as I'd liked to... as much as I'd LOVED to give the victory to someone else, I can't. I just can't. Even with its stupidass title, Undone Curtain of the Colossus is a masterpiece, plain and simple. Sure, it's not finished yet, but I'll be damned if I can't already say that with the incredible content that's been put out for it.

Oh, and DWAM? If you dare enter the next competition as opposed to dedicating all of your time to finishing this case, I will pick up my 999 Ways to Maim and Torture Without Killing book and pay you a visit. Just saying.
And that about covers it. Thanks again for everything, guys! Ping' and I both had a helluva time judging. :D Best of luck to our next competition's judges!
Last edited by Gumpei on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zombie
Spoken languages: English, My written french is horrible.

Post by Zombie »

Congrats to everyone, knowing DWAM will not be hosting I'm interested to see what Zeta and Co. (if they decide to host) can do.
eighthbit
Spoken languages: English

Post by eighthbit »

Congrats, DWaM.
(again)
'Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.'
-Elbert Hubbard
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

And a grand total of absolutely nobody is surprised.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Good game, everyone. And congrats to the winners.

...IDK what else to say.
Tap

Post by Tap »

• 10. PM me or Tap to tell us that the competition is over.
Per Case Competition rules, please PM me before the next competition is posted, whoever is hosting.
And congratulations to the victors!
ImageImage
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

whoa since when has THAT rule been there? o.O
Gumpei

Post by Gumpei »

Bad Player wrote:whoa since when has THAT rule been there? o.O
Looks like every competition ever has now been invalidated. :P Well, except this one obviously, because we did it on purpose. Y'know, breakin' da rules and all.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Gumpei wrote:
Looks like every competition ever has now been invalidated. :P Well, except this one obviously, because we did it on purpose. Y'know, breakin' da rules and all.
seems that way

alright let's get NatLazy back in here to redo all this properly
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Congratulations to the winners, even if I haven't played all of your cases yet.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Tap

Post by Tap »

Since Case Competitions were revitalised under Meph, but when I was given moderatorship over this forum as well, I intend to follow up on things, rather than having two competitions being open at the same time, ha ha... Anyway, this one'll be locked, per custom, when the next one is about to go up. Like the Art Competitions, you know? :wink:

In any case... congratulations again to DWaM and kwando, for producing what is surely shaping up to be yet another one of AAO's finest masterpieces...
Spoiler : Spoilers for Tomorrow/Curtain :
I joked with BB on Skype about your case being "Turnabout of Today" or "Turnabout Today" or whatever the joke was in Part 3 of Turnabout Tomorrow, and well... not only do we have Cross, but Apollo's new colour scheme is starting to scarily become similar to that of Richard Groud. It doesn't help Groud also has a set of Apollo antennaes, which have been his defining appearance chacteristic...
ImageImage
Gumpei

Post by Gumpei »

Think you're spoiling a little more than just Tomorrow there. :P
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Congratz DWando, though I guess that was rather expected.

Feel free to make more of that good stuff, however you do it.
ApprenticeOfVoile

Post by ApprenticeOfVoile »

I didn't even make "honorable mention." I failed...I KNEW I failed, yet it still hurts. T.T In regards to there not being enough Touhou in this comp (*Cough-coughsecretending-cough*), maybe we could make that the theme of the next one? We could call it God Dwammit Yukari. :p
Studying legal magic. S*** is going to get real!
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

ApprenticeOfVoile wrote:I didn't even make "honorable mention." I failed...I KNEW I failed, yet it still hurts. T.T In regards to there not being enough Touhou in this comp (*Cough-coughsecretending-cough*), maybe we could make that the theme of the next one? We could call it God Dwammit Yukari. :p
Dude don't worry. There is no possible way you could have done worse than me.