[RP] Flytrap Canyon - A Steampunk Western

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Re: [RP] Flytrap Canyon - A Steampunk Western

Post by gotMLK7 »

Tavern

"I ain't listenin' to any more of this."

The Drifter spoke up again, his gun still whirring as he fanned out more of the smoke with his poncho. "I have a creed I work by. 'Never let your targets talk'. Once you get to hearin' someone flap their gums, ya feel ya know them more. The more ya know someone, the harder it gets to kill 'em."

He looked(?) towards Grave. "A temper ain't part of anythin'. But if I wait around listenin' to the folks I gotta take out tell their life stories, I'm not exactly makin' things easier. So I think it's time to zip lips and get to fillin' out the job requirements. And since it's clear who's the more immediate threat..."

The Drifter kept his gun arm at the ready, but rather than aim it again, he reached to his belt and pulled out a short machete from a sheath. He rose the blade above his head as he swiftly yet menacingly approached John, stopping just before the man with blade at the ready. Without another word, the Drifter swung at John's head with the machete...
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Alnar
Spoken languages: ??????

Post by Alnar »

The Tavern

He thought he at least had some breathing time before he needed to make a run for it. Before he knew it, Blackwood had his arm wrapped around John's neck and a gun to his head. John's right arm was pinned behind his back, his hand resting on his bow. He usually had quick reflexes so this was a surprise to him, but he kept his cool. John knew how Blackwood operated. He decided not to give him the satisfaction of seeing any emotion from his face.

Sunny just couldn't keep her damn mouth shut just for once now, could she? And Blackwood, how he talked and talked and talked. John didn't give damn about this anymore. Too much talking. He had talked more in this one day than he did in an entire week. If there's one thing he could agree with Drifter on, it was about talking. Right now he wanted to shut Blackwood up. Perhaps then John could confirm the urban legend himself.

John's right hand felt for the detonator on the bow attached to the back of his hip. His fingers ran across a familiar switch on the grip. Flipping this would activate all armed arrows simultaneously. He had two in play right now.

One on the floor where he once stood, behind a bunch of tables...

...and one stuck on the outside of the tavern, on the other side of the northern wall, thrown when John finished smoking before entering the tavern.

Reflexive actions, Graves? Yes. I know all about them. For example, the reflex of one with their finger on the trigger when the gun is struck.

John saw Drifter making his way towards him. He reached into his quiver with his left hand pulled out an arrow. One designed to shoot a hook out of the arrow's nock. He only had one shot at this, he needed to time it right and to be accurate.

*krick*

There's a reason Gull was in his name.

As soon as the machete was raised above his head, John made his move. He aimed the arrow's backend to the underside of Graves' gun and pressed the button on it on its shaft. A hook immediately shot out of the end and struck the gun, forcing it to point upwards right where the machete was coming down. Simultaneously, John flipped the switch on his bow.

Part of the north wall exploded, sending wooden planks, debris, and anything else the was hanging on the wall at the time flying towards the center of the tavern. A sizable hole was left in its place, big enough to escape out of. Meanwhile the explosion in the spot John once was destroyed the table it was behind, flinging wooden posts, splinters, and a half-eaten turkey leg in the same direction.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

The Tavern

Graves

In the second, Graves hand was knocked upwards, he released his grip on the gun and let it fall to the ground with a clatter. Jamming a foot over it, he opened his hand wide, while keeping his other arm firmly wrapped around Gulls neck, and proceeded to...

Catch the machete's blade.

It cut deep. Very deep. Probably to the bone. Blood is pouring out from the closed fist that Graves has put around the machete's blade.

But no scream calls out. Not even a whisper of a curse. In fact, if one were to look at Graves face, it would be entirely placid. Calm. A mask bearing an unconcerned smile.

No, a mask would be comprehensible. And pleasure would be still within the realm of understanding.

Graves genuinely didn't care.

"Sit down, Sir. I was in the middle of a conversation."

He pleasantly informs the Drifter that he was being rude. Then, he turns to Sonia.

"And if there is no secret weapon... Well, I guess I'll take your word for it. It's a shame. A let down, really. An F for Effort. But, ah well. It can't be helped."

He shakes his head and releases his two captives, the machete and John.

"Well, then. If that's all, I'm going to do what I came here to do. You can carry on murdering eachother, for all I care."

He looks disinterestedly at his wound, dabs it lightly with a handkerchief, and sits down at the bar. He produces a bottle of milk and opens it, taking a sip.

"I never understood why children cried when they got the cuts." He sighs.
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Kenneth - Flytrap Town

After mulling it over for a while, I decided to go to the Tavern. But it seemed like the world had another trick to play on me... Namely, the fact that the tavern suddenly got incredibly loud shortly after Sonia had gone there. ... Why did this not surprise me very much?

I turned towards Natashi and Tia. Perhaps they were interested in the chaos, or maybe they would actually have an inkling of common sense and stay away. As for me... I never claimed to have much in the way of common sense. My next course of action was obvious. "I'm going to take a look. Follow me if you want, or don't. I feel like it's fairly obvious that this is the best way to get answers..."

It was blatantly obvious that a fight was happening in the Tavern, and I knew for a fact that I had heard the sounds of weapons that seemed more like they belonged in a war zone than a brawl. Fascinating. I wonder how many had died already. Would they be able to identify the corpses? Maybe it would be more interesting if they were injured for life instead though... That could potentially be more hurtful to someone.

Entering the Tavern, I had to make sure that I hadn't somehow fallen asleep while walking and entered some sort of dream. What I could say for certain was that there were many people involved in this fight, presumably hunters or eccentric citizens, along with John and Sonia, who seemed to be trying to flee. There was certainly enough chaos, but I was disappointed by the general lack of death. A corpse or two would have completed the scene.

"Again, why does this not surprise me...?" I said to myself, watching the chaos unfold before me. Such a shame that I hadn't arrived earlier, though maybe those two would need help for whatever reason. Maybe if I was lucky, John would die first and then I could help out Sonia, who was lower on my list of people who annoyed me. ... It'd be interesting if someone recognized me, but I doubted anyone would pay much attention to me, considering the circumstances.
Spoiler : @NN and DSY :
Feel free to auto-follow Kenneth or not. Sorry if I delayed you two, but I've finally posted... Even if it isn't to do much. I might try to actually talk to someone next post.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
Sleuth
Spoken languages: English

Post by Sleuth »

Tavern:

Alright, dammit Kidd, you've got to do something! You're the Sheriff! It's time to get up off your ass and take control!

Then some of Blackwood's blood spattered across the floor.

Yeah nope nope nope nope nope
DLA
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, a bit of French

Post by DLA »

Sonia - Tavern

"You... You're a monster, Jeffy-boy! People are nothing to ya but another paycheck! Ya got the bloodlust! As long as you're gettin' paid for your kills, you can justify it, but you're no better than any old murderer!" Sonia shouted. "You're so focused on money, you don't think about the consequences!"

She paused, thinking about her gang. She had basically put them at risk with this whole robbery thing, hadn't she? If she was linked back to them and they were suspected of having something to do with it, they'd also be tracked down and killed. And without them to protect it, their town wouldn't have anyone to take care of it and scare away troublemakers. Her decision to participate in the heist had so many potential consequences, and yet she went along with it anyway.

"...Okay, screw this, I'm leaving. Goodbye, Mr. Creepy, Jeffy-boy, Kidd, and, uhh.... Red, I guess? I'll be seeing ya later, Johnny-boy!" she said, running out the hole in the north wall, but hiding right outside, prepared to go back in case things went bad again and he needed her help.
The Final but not so ending chapter.
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Tavern- Tia

Seeing her fellow bandit depart- Tia took a look inside the tavern. She wasn't quite sure what to make of what had transpired in the building, but decided that the direct approach would be best.

Calming walking into the tavern, her weapon at the ready, she gazed directly at John and calmly started walking in his direction.

"We've been looking for you." She said conversationally.

Tavern- Rachel

Rachel wasn't sure what to do. She wanted to fight, but she didn't understand why she had to. The girl seemed bizarrely harmless for a bandit, and she simply didn't understand why John had betrayed them. Sure, it was her job, but Rachel typically was careful about choosing her jobs for a reason- she wasn't the kind of person that did something solely to get paid. She wanted to have accomplished something.

And right now... she wasn't sure what fighting these people would accomplish. They'd be sent back to get punished, but did they deserve that? What were they like? Why had they committed this crime in the first place?

She let out an audible sigh as one bandit departed, but took in a sudden intake of breath as another entered and approached John. Rachel's body tensed, but she made no moves of aggression- perhaps the next conversation would give her some idea as to what was going on. Give her some reason to do... anything.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

Tavern

The Drifter swung his machete towards the ground, flicking off some of the blood Blackwood got on it. He didn't pay much mind to the man at all. He seemed to grumble beneath his mask. "I'm not in the mood for these games. I ain't exactly gettin' a kick from this so I'd like to get this over with as soon as possible, if that's all fine with you fella's."

The smoke from the explosion cleared and the Drifter saw Sonia run out of the tavern. He swore under his breath, then brought his attention back to who was in front of him. John Gull was still in his sights; he didn't seem intent on wasting the opportunity.

"Let's get it over with." The Drifter swung the large gun attached to his hand towards John, the whirring noise it made speeding up. As soon as he was able, the Drifter wasted no time, and the man fired a volley of bullets from the Gattling gun at the bandit in front of him...
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Alnar

Post by Alnar »

Tavern

John dropped the arrow in his hand and steadied himself as he recovered from the grip Blackwood had on him. The wall had opened up and Sonia had gotten out. Good, now he wouldn't have to worry about anyone's safety here. But the way Blackwood just caught that machete in his hand... that was something right out of the urban legend itself. It was true, that man felt no pain. After that, he just let John go and he left like it was nothing to him.

His eyes noticed movement at the entrance of the tavern. He raised his head and saw three people: Natashi, Kenneth, and Tia. On one hand, he was glad to have back up now, on the other hand, they were probably weren't going to help much unless Drifter started firing on them. So John was still more or less in the same situation now.

Drifter's gun arm began to spin once again, the mechanical whirring snapping John back to the situation at hand. He detached his bow from his hip and pressed a button to unfold it. The bow flipped open, both limbs swinging out from the grip. Drifter's arm fired and John bolted for the counter to get out of the way, barely. A bullet grazed his side, but he steeled himself and vaulted over counter and ducked behind it.

He could feel the heat from the bullet that grazed him. There was a noticeable pain, but it wasn't like this was the first time this happened. But this was exactly the reason John usually preferred to fight from afar. Up against someone like Drifter, he constantly had to move. He heard the bullets eating through the wood. He didn't have much time before one broke through. He needed to disable Drifter's arm so that he could escape.

*krick*

John took out another arrow from his quiver and knocked it into his bow.

Electric. This should temporarily put his arm out of commission.

He drew his bow, ready to fire the arrow at his target. John took a deep breath and envisioned Drifter behind him and where he had to shoot. Any point would do, as long as it made contact with the metal. He ran from the counter to the side and jumped in the air, time seemed to slow down for him as he twisted his body to align the shot.

He let the arrow loose, aiming for a small gap in Drifter's arm.
NihilisticNinja

Tavern- Tia

Tia really wanted to join the fight, but her colleague seemed to have the matter well-in-hand at the moment, and randomly acting could simply get in the way. Thus, Tia stood back and waited for a potential opening.

She saw that the girl in red walk away from her initial position by a front wall at a quick clip. She thought about confronting the girl, but decided against it- the man seemed like the bigger threat at this time.

Tavern- Rachel

Rachel made up her mind. She knew what she'd do.

The bodyguard began walking towards the pair currently fighting in a rapid walk. Her hands tightened around Crimson Strife.

If the fight ended now... she'd figure out her next move later. If it didn't... well, then she'd have to do something that she might regret.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

Tavern

The electric arrow lodged itself into the Drifter's mechanical arm, and it began to sputter and jitter. The gunfire halted and the Drifter swore to himself. He grabbed the arrow out from his arm and tossed it aside, but the electric jolt still seemed to be in effect. The Gattling gun seemed to be out of commission for the time being.

"Guess this won't be quick, then." The Drifter reached once more for his machete. "I ain't got anythin' better to do. I'm willin' to go all day if I gotta." He made a quick dash forward, bringing his blade back and making a swing forward with it towards John.
Spoiler : OoC :
Short post but I think it at least establishes that Drifter isn't really one to back down and wait when his target's right there. Plan to that accordingly.

NihilisticNinja

Bar- Rachel

Rachel, who had steadily been closing the gap between the fighters, broke into a run the moment the Drifter reached for his weapon.

From a very young age, Rachel's running speed had been tested, and she had been lightly disciplined whenever it was found wanting. She had gone through more drills than she could even imagine trying to count. Her parents had drilled into her that reaching your target even a microsecond too slowly could result in a failed mission, and the loss of a life. This had lead Rachel to pursue the matter with a passion, doing sprints every morning on her own accord, and continually striving to get better.

So, suffice it to say, Rachel was fast.

And she used that speed to quickly reach the compatants and get between them, blocking the Drifter's blow with her own Crimson Strife, the clashing sound of metal on metal resonating throughout the bar.

"You know, I'm on your side. Bandits? Yeah, I want to bring them in too." Rachel said, but her frigid tone belied her thin smile and words of affirmation. "But maybe, just maybe, if a member of our group has betrayed us, we could take a moment and learn what on earth is going on?"
Alnar

Post by Alnar »

The Tavern

John saw the arrow strike true. He spun in the air to reposition himself so that he'd land on his feet, kneeling. If there was one thing he was ever good at, it was hitting the target exactly where he needed to no matter what was happening. He could hit a target while he was moving, while it was moving, or even both. That was something he always prided himself in. You had to be precise and accurate with a job like Bounty Hunting. You needed to end it cleanly and quickly. Less talking, less emotion afterwards.

He winced a bit as he put pressure on one side. The wound was pretty noticeable, since his vest and the shirt underneath was torn where the bullet had grazed. Thankfully there wasn't much blood. It did sting, however.

John frowned when he saw that even a dead arm didn't stop Drifter. The machete was out again, forcing John to stand up and reach for his dirk. But before he could, Rachel came between them and stopped the machete with her weapon.

"Tch." John would've killed Drifter right there and there if Rachel hadn't done that. He cursed himself for his inability to willingly harm her. Maybe if he was just a bit more heartless, he could've done it. Maybe if he didn't have a conscience, just maybe he could've ended it all right here and now. But no, John set himself aside from the likes of Drifter and Blackwood by having such qualities. Yet those are the reasons that got him in this mess in the first place.

"Bubbles, Jake there isn't gonna stop, you know that." he says, taking another arrow out of his quiver. It looks very similar to John's grappling arrow but it looks much more modified. Instead of knocking it into the bow's string, he places it on the arrow rest, which locks it into place with the press of a button. Steam could be seen coming off from his bow as pressure started to build up.

I just need to get out of here. I have a job to do, even if those two are already there at the entrance.

John aims the bow at the roof of a building seen from the hole in the wall and fires. The built up steam explodes at the grip, sending the arrow flying faster than the eye can follow. It drills into the roof and sets itself firmly into place. A solid wire can be seen extending from the nock of the arrow to the grip of John's bow.

"We'll talk another time." he says with a solemn tone. He runs off to the wall and pressed the button on his bow. Steam blows off from the limbs of the bow as it retracts the wire, propelling John forward to where the arrow lies.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

The Tavern

"Excuse me, Miss?"

Curling out from the shadow, a gaunt and unpleasant figure appears behind Rachel.

Blackwood Graves, milk in hand, and bloody hand outstretched for a handshake. Ignoring the chaos around him.

"Did you say something about bandits and 'our group'? Have I introduced myself? I am Blackwood Graves. A hunter, and the local school teacher. You wouldn't, per chance, happen to be a hunter too, now would you?"
DLA
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, a bit of French

Post by DLA »

Outside Tavern

Margot stood bored by her cart, waiting for someone to come by or something interesting to happen. She wasn't going to get involved in whatever was happening in the tavern, as it was likely a drunken conflict that would figure itself out soon enough. The only thing to do right now was get some rest... She began to lean against the wagon and promptly fell asleep.

Sonia, meanwhile, decided now was the time to escape. John had gotten out, so she had no reason to stay there any more. The longer she stayed near the place, the higher the chance of her getting caught. She ran from her hiding spot outside the side wall of the tavern out to the front, and untied Alexanderer from the post she had tied him to, in the process interrupting the intense staring contest between Alexanderer and Socrates.

She climbed onto the horse and took off, not quite sure where she was going but aiming to get as far away from the tavern as possible. "Nice little town, don't ya think so? I'd definitely like to come back here some day!" she said cheerfully to the horse, before the sudden realization that she would probably never be able to show her face in the town again. Yet another consequence of her decision to turn to crime that she hadn't thought of. She was on the run now, and no matter how many nice people she met, if they weren't on the lookout for her, she'd be putting them in danger by being near them, and wouldn't be able to stick around long. She kept riding vaguely in the direction John was heading.
The Final but not so ending chapter.