[Zero Escape] Saga

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

AquaAce72
Spoken languages: English

Re: [Zero Escape] Saga

Post by AquaAce72 »

Spoiler : :
Atmosphere is definitely 100x better in 999. From the description of the creaking ship to the gruesome scenes of scattered gore, 999 excels at pulling the player into the game.

VLR prefers to just move at a faster pace and show images rather than describing.

Music, graphics (obviously) and overall presentation felt better in VLR, whereas 999 had better writing and more well thought out endings. VLR got pretty lazy with the endings. :P
Mono
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Mono »

It's pretty hard to design 24 invidual endings. though. :P (Or was it less? not sure about the number right now)

I like 999 and VLR equal. Both have their pros and cons.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

kwando1313 wrote:
Spoiler : Minor 999 and VLR spoils :
I personally think it's the dread that you get from 999. I mean, the threat of being blown up and die/if you don't escape in 9 hours, you'll drown is a lot more threatening than you're going to die of lethal injection...
Wouldn't there be more dread in VLR? I mean, in 999 you have 9 whole hours before you die. In VLR, you could die at any point, depending on the results of the AB Game...
AquaAce72 wrote:
Music, graphics (obviously) and overall presentation felt better in VLR, whereas 999 had better writing and more well thought out endings. VLR got pretty lazy with the endings. :P
Oh, the irony. In VLR, they came up with a unique ending every single time you made a wrong move. In 999, they just came up with 3 and had all the bad ends sort into one of them. And the lazy one is VLR?

Bad ends are bad ends; you shouldn't put plot details/twists in them, and there isn't much that needs to be done with them besides have Sigma get trapped in the place forever. There were 10 legit endings (9 profiles then the alternative end) so it really wasn't lazy at all xP
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Blowing up + time limit + seeing someone dying in front of you is a lot scarier than injections. It's more, I guess, because the VLR cast was like "lol we don't have to do it now, we got lots of time" rather than OMG HURRY UP OR WE DIE.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Ami

Post by Ami »

Are we really arguing about which type of death causes more urgency? If you were put in this situation, I doubt you'd be all

"Well yes, I could be stabbed by spikey walls, but it's not like you threatened me with immolation. YAWN. I'm going to sit in the corner, now."
since 2008!
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Wooper wrote:
Spoiler : VLR and 999 :
I think I'm the only person who prefers 999 to VLR :/ Better atmosphere, better endings, better characters, better music, more emotional story... Seriously, am I really alone in this opinion?
I would agree on atmosphere, but I guess we'll just agree to disagree on everything else. :P I think the casts and music are pretty equal, and the endings thing... hm. Little hard to say. I feel like VLR is kinda padded out a bit much with all of the endless code nonsense, but at the same time I greatly preferred actually having different things happen for each wrong move as opposed to always getting locked into the same three bad ends every time in case you didn't do everything absolutely right. As for emotional story, I guess 999 was more ABOUT the emotional story, but VLR has plenty emotional parts (Junpei/Luna ends).

Other than that, I feel like VLR easily has the more interesting story with the vastly superior twists. And it obviously has 999 beat graphically. I think the writing's better, too. Quite a bit of the dialogue in 999 felt kind of stiff, I guess you'd say. VLR has a bit of that stiff feeling too at times, but significantly less so I think.
AquaAce72

Post by AquaAce72 »

Bad Player wrote:
Oh, the irony. In VLR, they came up with a unique ending every single time you made a wrong move. In 999, they just came up with 3 and had all the bad ends sort into one of them. And the lazy one is VLR?

Bad ends are bad ends; you shouldn't put plot details/twists in them, and there isn't much that needs to be done with them besides have Sigma get trapped in the place forever. There were 10 legit endings (9 profiles then the alternative end) so it really wasn't lazy at all xP
I guess you could look at it that way. I just really found the bad ends in VLR annoying while the bad ends in 999 made me think "Wow, who did this?/How could I have avoided this awful outcome?"

In VLR, someone leaves through the Number 9 Door and the game ends with Sigma moping around. The first time it made me feel a bit angry at the character/s leaving, but after that it was just totally expected and boring.

I suppose that the Profile Endings are the equivalent of the bad endings in 999, but I was just disappointed that the bad ends were filler. To me, it was sort of a quality over quantity thing. :P
Wolf Speaker
Spoken languages: English, French, Chinese

Post by Wolf Speaker »

Bad ending. :(
Shuìlián - Lv.9
Adaptability

- Helping Hand
- Growl
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Mr. Darcy - Lv.8
Pick Up

- Odor Sleuth
- Tackle
- Growl
- Defense Curl
- Flail

Allistair - Lv.9
- Tackle
- Dragon Rage
- Focus Energy
- Bite
Mono
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Mono »

Which one?
Wolf Speaker

Post by Wolf Speaker »

Junpei gets stabbed after finding dead Lotus.
Shuìlián - Lv.9
Adaptability

- Helping Hand
- Growl
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Mr. Darcy - Lv.8
Pick Up

- Odor Sleuth
- Tackle
- Growl
- Defense Curl
- Flail

Allistair - Lv.9
- Tackle
- Dragon Rage
- Focus Energy
- Bite
Mick
Spoken languages: English, German, some Italian, some French

Post by Mick »

Spoiler : @Lord Wolfenstein :
In my opinion the most boring ending.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Oh, and here I thought you got Coffin. xD

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Wolf Speaker

Post by Wolf Speaker »

Finished the game today.

................................How much does VLR cost.
Shuìlián - Lv.9
Adaptability

- Helping Hand
- Growl
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Mr. Darcy - Lv.8
Pick Up

- Odor Sleuth
- Tackle
- Growl
- Defense Curl
- Flail

Allistair - Lv.9
- Tackle
- Dragon Rage
- Focus Energy
- Bite
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Get it. $40 on 3DS.

Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »