March 2012 - Gumpei

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Re: Member of the Month: March 2012

Post by Gumpei »

E.D.Revolution wrote:I am familiar enough with Queen's Blade, so why don't you elaborate on Nyx in a way that's SFW?
Nyx is basically the saddest damn character ever. She was a servant to an abusive royal family for the major parts of her childhood, and would always either be neglected or practically tortured by the youngest daughter in the family in particular. She eventually broke free of the family, running away, and she found this... monster, Funikura. Funikura's purpose is, every time Nyx feels fear or uncertainty, he gives her power. This power turns her into the monster. She no longer feels fear, she's powerful enough to face her enemies, but with the dark energy inside her she turns into something demon-like, becoming a torturous soul, very reminiscent against those she fought against in her childhood. As such, she grows an attachment to Funikura. She can't function without him, but his presence is still what's ultimately damning her, to the point where Funikura's corruption is starting to permanently infect her and change who she is. In one of the best episodes in the series, this issue is approached.
Mimi Mika wrote:Quick, what's five plus five???
UH UH UH UH UH UH UH UH UH UH 42
Lind wrote:Does one care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth?
Ho-hum my good man, if we do not acknowledge the mistakes made in the past, we are bound to repeat them, hm, yes.
Whirlwind wrote:What are your top five animes?
I'm planning on getting back into anime this summer, though I can't say I've honestly watched enough anime to form a proper list here. Queen's Blade is obviously at the top. Other than that, I don't know.
SpongesonicInCourt wrote:If you could be anyone in the world, besides yourself, who would you be?
A few people pop to mind here, but all in all they're more people I just have a ton of respect for... however, I would genuinely like to be Suda51. Just... to be in his mind. See how he functions. It would be interesting.
ZetaAzuel wrote:Who wouldn't you want to be on the planet?
Lord Lyndis, because then I wouldn't like KotOR. And thus I'd have an unfulfilled life of misery and sorrow. Also I'd be dumb. (<3 you Lord Lyndis)
Detective Luke Atmey wrote:On a scale from one to ten, how high is Luke Atmey on your favorite AA characters?
Uhhh well aside of my two favorite characters I really haven't ranked anyone else. Even though I can probably say I'm the biggest 3-2 hater out there, I love the characters in it, so... an 8, I suppose.
Wackyman wrote:I am very late, but happy member month birthday thing Gumpei! :D

Why are you answering this question?
Because it's the best question I've ever been asked in my entire life.
Unas wrote:
Gumpei wrote:
E.D.Revolution wrote:Why Nyx?
Because Nyx is the best character in Queen's Blade. <3 If you'd like me to elaborate I probably could.
I'd rather you not elaborate too much about this on AAO, for obvious reasons of compliance with the site rules :?
Well obviously I was planning on doing it in a SFW way. :P
Gumpei wrote:
drthingums wrote:Why who?
Nyx is a character from Queen's Blade and you probably shouldn't Google that if someone is in the room with you.
Or if you're under 16, at the very least (depending on countries). :roll:

Geez, I understand you enjoying Queen's Blade, but please understand that a big part of it (because if you take out the NSFW from QB, you don't end up with much...) is not acceptable on AAO. :wink:
I'm perfectly aware. :XD: There's more you can talk about than you think, as I just explained... :P
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Woaw, impressive. :o That's a true fan at work, eh ? When you put it like that, you could almost convince me that QB has very deep characters and meaning :XD:
Anyway, as long as you know the limits and are careful about what you say, I guess it's fine :)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Congrats on the win on the comp, Gumpei.

Now for a hard hitting question.

There are some people who are questioning the choice of the MotMs lately. Some of these reasons include "questionable choice," "it's simply a gift of sympathy", "this person has done nothing", and "what the hell has he done for AAO?" In your opinion, what would you say about some of the rather unspoken criticism of MotMs? Do you agree or disagree?

And on a related note, what do you think about the MotM system in general?
Gumpei

Post by Gumpei »

E.D.Revolution wrote:Congrats on the win on the comp, Gumpei.

Now for a hard hitting question.

There are some people who are questioning the choice of the MotMs lately. Some of these reasons include "questionable choice," "it's simply a gift of sympathy", "this person has done nothing", and "what the hell has he done for AAO?" In your opinion, what would you say about some of the rather unspoken criticism of MotMs? Do you agree or disagree?
Well obviously the number of posts in MotM threads has been drastically dwindling lately, mine's no exception. I think there's a few reasons for this actually. When the Random Star thread was introduced, people had a sense of urgency to have their questions asked, as that person would only be there for a week. When they go from there to the MotM thread, they don't have that urgency, and are more likely to wait on asking their questions and then there's a good chance they'll forget to ask them.

Aside of that, the questions asked in the MotM in general have probably started to become samey. Most of the same questions are asked for each MotM, and considering how long it's been going that might discourage people to keep constantly checking back in.

I really don't think the choices of people have had anything to do with it, honestly. There are a number of more plausible reasons. Just my opinion.

And on a related note, what do you think about the MotM system in general?
Again, perhaps it's become too samey. I'm not sure what could be done exactly to spice up the formula, but Topaz's thread spiraled in activity when he did something different with the raffle, so perhaps more things need to be done to make each MotM more interesting and distinct. It would make people more likely to check in with the threads on a more regular basis, if nothing else. I probably would have tried something had I not been so busy as of late.
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

If the MotM system has become a vanilla formula cursed by the the formula, and things need to be spiced up, whose responsibility is that?
Gumpei

Post by Gumpei »

E.D.Revolution wrote:If the MotM system has become a vanilla formula cursed by the the formula, and things need to be spiced up, whose responsibility is that?
It's not really the responsibility of anyone in specific. But for whoever WANTS to make the MotMs more interesting, if they're not doing anything about it, then... well. I guess you could say it's their own fault for doing nothing. Which would include me. :P
E.D.Revolution

Post by E.D.Revolution »

So if you're saying it's not anyone specific, but if anyone wants to do it but not doing it, aren't you indirectly implicating everyone in this? :P

BTW Have you visited colleges yet? Have any story to tell about any of the visits?
Gumpei

Post by Gumpei »

E.D.Revolution wrote:So if you're saying it's not anyone specific, but if anyone wants to do it but not doing it, aren't you indirectly implicating everyone in this? :P
It's something that can be applied to anything, really... :P If you complain about something without actually doing anything about it yourself, then do you really have a right to complain?

EDIT: As an addendum, I'm not really saying anyone's at 'fault' for this. I'm just saying that it's their own fault if they want things to improve yet don't do anything about it.

EDIT2: ...as a double addendum (all the way across the sky), it doesn't bother me if that's what you're asking. XD It's honor enough just getting to become MotM. Everything else is icing on the cake if you ask me.

BTW Have you visited colleges yet? Have any story to tell about any of the visits?
I've only been to the universities my sister attended, though most of my top choices are around the New York area, which I'll be visiting at the tail end of July. So I don't have any for the moment, no.

...except that chemistry labs smell really, really bad.
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Post by Meph »

Hey, stop criticising my MotM interviews! :P

I never really expected the MotM threads to have so many posts, anyway. It was meant to be more about the interview, so I thought people would just say "Congrats!" It was great when everyone took it one step further; I never expected they'd be so popular.
Gumpei

Post by Gumpei »

Meph wrote:Hey, stop criticising my MotM interviews! :P
I wasn't criticizing the interviews themselves. XD When I said the questions had become samey, I meant the ones everybody else was asking. :P Your questions usually start the same but trail off in different directions depending on the answers.

I never really expected the MotM threads to have so many posts, anyway. It was meant to be more about the interview, so I thought people would just say "Congrats!" It was great when everyone took it one step further; I never expected they'd be so popular.
And I don't want to give off the impression that I'm disrespecting any of that, sorry if it seemed like it. XP That was why I added the second edit. I just wanted to explain why I think the MotMs have been getting less pages now than they did when they started. Like I said, it's honor enough being chosen for this.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

12. What do you have to say to that?
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
Gumpei

Post by Gumpei »

SpongesonicInCourt wrote:12. What do you have to say to that?
THIS QUESTION IS TOO HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD :x
Meph

Post by Meph »

Gumpei wrote:And I don't want to give off the impression that I'm disrespecting any of that, sorry if it seemed like it. XP
But it never seemed like that. :XD:
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Riddle, please?
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Whirlwind

Post by Whirlwind »

What do you enjoy most in a fan-trial?

If you were a contest judge, what would be the best way to bribe you and ensure victory?

How do you respond to blackmail?