Kid Icarus Uprising

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Kid Icarus Uprising

Post by gotMLK7 »

I've been looking forward to this game for weeks, nay, MONTHS. I've never played the original Kid Icarus, but Uprising looks so freaking amazing. And it releases in a week!

If you haven't heard of the game, it's is a new installment in the Kid Icarus series, starring Pit (you may recognize him from SSB Brawl) as he tries to defeat the evil Medusa, who has returned since her defeat in the original 8-bit KI. It's a console-exclusive for the 3DS, and is divided into different play-styles: 5-minute flying rail-shooters, on-the-ground beat 'em ups, and a battle against the boss. And it also uses the AR cards, a 6-player multiplayer section, a mode allowing you to choose how intense the gameplay should be, a crap-ton of weapons, and more. Not to mention hilarious humor between Pit and the Goddess Palutena, including a good stab at the fourth wall here and there.

This game looks like an instant classic to me, but what do you guys think? Opinions on the game here, and what you hope to see, yada yada. Discussion time begins NOW!
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Reyson
Spoken languages: English

Re: Kid Icarus Uprising

Post by Reyson »

I am so very hyped for this game. And I haven't played any KI games.
Rey Rey the Jet Plane
Thursday
Spoken languages: English, Tagalog, Some French

Post by Thursday »

Reyson Incarnate wrote:I am so very hyped for this game. And I haven't played any KI games.
Same here. The multiplayer is surprisingly deep from what I've heard, but then again, it's a Sakurai game :wink:

Day 2 - Trial COMPLETE and Playable now!
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

Comes out tomorrow. I preordered it, but does that mean I HAVE to pick it up on the release date? I kind of don't want it right away, I only pre-ordered because I know it helps Gamestop's employees when I do and I feel bad for them...
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
Thursday
Spoken languages: English, Tagalog, Some French

Post by Thursday »

Got the game and just played and re-played the first two levels.

Gotta say, the controls aren't half-bad once you get used to them. (And this is coming from a lefty using stylus controls.) The dialogue is hilarious - love how they reference cliches and break the fourth wall - and the amount of content looks like it'll be HUGE.

I'd definitely urge any of you 3DS owners to get this game :)

Day 2 - Trial COMPLETE and Playable now!
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

OHMIGOD THIS GAME IS AMAZING.
Currently on Chapter
Spoiler : # of chapters spoilers, I guess? :
and it is by far worth the wait. BEST game on the 3DS, by far.

Also, anyone know how to redeem the code for the 3D Classics Kid Icarus? Gamestop.com is sucking on me. :|
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

I BEAT THE GAME, IT WAS AWESOME.

Yeah, this was definiteley worth the money. THE best game for 3DS, by FAR.

Also...
Spoiler : :
YAY BOSS RUSH MODE!

Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

The fact that I haven't been posting on here and sporadically scream about it on the Xat should tell you how I feel about the game. <3

This is easily the single best Nintendo game I have ever played. That is not an exaggeration. It has a legitimately entertaining, if convoluted, story, and the air battles are utterly irresistible. The music is amazing, the 3D graphics are glorious, and in just one game Sakurai has taken an old NES game and transformed it into a franchise to rival Mario and Zelda, complete with its own extensive universe and memorable cast of characters.

Also, definitely among my all-time favorite video game music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xteSYHtMhFU
Spoiler : Chapter 6 :
The song plays during the air battle portion of the big 2-part fight against Dark Pit. At around 0:50, the battle shifts closer to the surface, as you fly through wasteland and canyons and Medusa joins the fray. I adore how the game has an actual score for air levels rather than just looping BGM, it really completes the game. :o
Spoiler : after Chapter 9 :
Also? Best. Hades. Ever.
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

Finally finished the game today (I got it on launch day but I've been busy with school and stuff and I've also been way too addicted to the multiplayer :P) This is, outside of the Zelda series, easily the best game Nintendo's ever made. The music, gameplay, graphics, story, and voice acting are all top-notch. The voice acting is just fantastic. My favorite voice actor is
Pyrrhon's.
Also
While the Aurum subplot was bizarre, I actually felt like it added a lot to the game. I think that it really gave the writing a chance to change the pace and experiment with the characters a bit more. It's absolutely amazing in every part of the game, but there's only so much you can do with everyone just trading insults. When they're forced to work together the personalities really shine because they're discussing strategy and the like while trying to put aside their hatred and work together. And Hades really shines through as the greatest troll ever :P.

Seriously though, despite some REALLY cheap parts in the last three chapters (Hades' Heart can go die in hell as far as I'm concerned, that was one of the most cheap boss battles I've ever seen), the story and gameplay led up to the conclusion wonderfully. I adore this game and I doubt I'll be putting it down for a while yet (my ultimate goal is to beat EVERYTHING on 9.0 intensity. Yes I know I'm insane but I WILL PREVAIL.
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
$Fth

Post by $Fth »

Did anyone see the animated videos on Nintendo Video for Kid Icarus? I thought the Palutena ones were pretty good.
And all the carries and junglers will look up and shout "Save us!" and I'll whisper...
"MORDE ES NUMERO UNO HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE"
Bad Player wrote:In comparison, you put objects in bags.
Just call me Ike.
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

$Fth wrote:Did anyone see the animated videos on Nintendo Video for Kid Icarus? I thought the Palutena ones were pretty good.
They were the only reason I liked Nintendo Video for a short amount of time. Medusa's Revenge was my favorite. The animation in the one is amazing! Like, MIYAZAKI amazing! The others were very funny, though. "RAGE QUIT! RAAAAGE QUUIIIIT!"

CardiaX

Post by CardiaX »

This is my favorite game on the 3DS now. I just have to write this review here...

*WARNING: MASSIVE WALLS OF TEXT INCOMING*
Spoiler : Kid Icarus: Uprising :
Pit's appearance in the Super Smash Bros. series got more people interested in the Kid Icarus series. Kid Icarus is what some people refer to as a "forgotten classic." Only three of Pit's games were ever released, and a fourth game for the N64 was cancelled. However, Uprising has become the most hyped game on the 3DS this year, and it has become my favorite. The gameplay is addicting, the story is astounding, and the music is incredible. When I saw the videos of this game, I almost instantly wanted it. And now, the game is mine, and this review will tell you how great this game is!

---Story---
It's been twenty-five years since the defeat of Medusa, the goddess of darkness. And now she has been resurrected and plans to exact her revenge on those who defeated her, Pit and Palutena. After gathering an army, she attacks the humans to lure Pit out of hiding, and turn him to stone. However, Pit takes out Medusa's commanders and regains the Three Sacred Treasures he used against her many years ago, and defeats her again. But as the credits roll, the true leader of the Underworld, Hades, shreds the page and reveals his face, telling you all about how he resurrected Medusa. Later, it is revealed that he's been making his endless supply of troops out of human souls. And also eats some of them. Ick. It's a great story, I'll have to admit.

---Characters---
If there is a single character in this game without some sense of humor, I will shout "BLASPHEMY"! Palutena's personality comes out a lot more in this game than in previous titles. She loves to tease Pit more than ever, and when she does, Pit goes like "How can you make jokes at a time like this!?" Speaking of Pit, he's also called by some a "regular video game historian." Whenever something in the game happens that relates to another game, he references every Nintendo franchise at least once. It's hilarious. In particular, the Metroid reference. And don't get me started on Viridi. She's Fawful-level quotable.

---Gameplay---
This game's gameplay is incredibly hectic. You have to aim, shoot, and move, all at the same time. In battle, you can use powers, and unleashed a rain of arrows on the screen when things get crazy. This game features nine types of weapons, each with individual strengths and weaknesses. To have a chance of beating the game on 9.0, you have to know your weapon very well. You can fuse weapons together to make stronger weapons and equip them in battle. This game also has some of the most addicting multi-player systems I have ever seen. Light vs. Dark is a unique 3v3 where you have to defeat the other team's angel to win, while protecting your own angel. And it's also one of the few games that keeps me interested in both single-player, and multi-player.

---Conclusion---
All in all, I would give this game a 9.5. The game does have its issues such as a couple of really annoying bosses and one or two levels that I hate, but everything else is awesome. This game really feels a little short, though. I literally beat it in one day. However, it's music, it's gameplay, it's characters, it's bosses are all great. And it's even fairly challenging. Though short, it's well worth playing. It combines everything that we like about Mario, Zelda, and Metroid all in one package. Here's hoping Nintendo will make more Kid Icarus games for future gaming systems like the Wii-U.
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

Nice review, CardiaX! But how can you not mention Pyhrron in the character section?! xD

Anyway, I'm currently working on Top Twenty-Five Kid Icarus Uprising Bosses. Getting all these clips is hard, I've gotta say. But hopefully it will be a nice tribute to the best game evar~

Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

But 25 actually excludes at least one boss. You're defeating the purpose.
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

Hodou Okappa wrote:But 25 actually excludes at least one boss. You're defeating the purpose.
Huh? What boss? I know the boss rush has 26, but it excludes
Spoiler : SPOILERS :
Hades
and includes
Spoiler : SPOILERS :
Magnus/Gaol and Pseudo-Palutena
, who don't actually count for the list (though they are mentioned). So...what?