[suggestion] Grayscale mode for flashbacks

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

[suggestion] Grayscale mode for flashbacks

Post by TheDoctor »

Sorry if this is already implemented, but I was wondering how feasible it would be to add a grayscale mode on a frame by frame basis. Because the alternative is to make grayscale versions of the character, background, and foreground, and that's just kind of a hassle.

Another use for the grayscale mode might be to make a film noir styled case if one was so inclined.
Image Image Image
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Re: [suggestion] Grayscale mode for flashbacks

Post by GanonZD »

This has been suggested several times before. As far as I remember, Unas has spoken about some CSS style which makes images greyscale, but which unfortunately only works in Firefox --- or rather worked at that time. Has it perhaps changed, I wonder?

If not, I think that converting all the sprites and backgrounds to greyscale is actually an option to seriously consider. True, it would be a horrible amount of work if done manually. But who said anything about manual labour? There must exist some Python script or something that could do that in twenty minutes. What remains is to extend the custom sprite manager to allow users to upload greyscale versions of their own sprites and backgrounds alongside the ordinary ones, to be activated in greyscale mode.

EDIT: Googling "greyscale css" yields several promising-looking results.
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

It's been requested many times in the past, and up to now the standard web technologies never enabled me to support that properly on AAO so I didn't do it.

A proper way of doing that is being standardised, and has been implemented in Chrome, so hopefully I will be able to use that some day. But Firefox does not support it yet.

(Actually, Firefox has another, completely different and more hacky way, to apply filters like Grayscale - I'd rather not use it, knowing that the proper way should come - hopefully - soon)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Hyliabook
Spoken languages: English, Hylian

Post by Hyliabook »

I've found an easy work around for this is just to save the .gif the sprite(s) of the character(s) you want in the flashback (court records is a great place for these), go into GIMP (It's a free software if you don't have it), convert the sprites to black and white (by going to image and setting color mode to grayscale), exporting it, then to save the background you need, convert it to black and white, upload them to an image hosting site and hotlink them in.

It honestly doesn't take that long, maybe about 10 minutes?

I also think there's online converters that'll make it black and white, but they'll probably drop the quality down...
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Yes, but creating assets takes up space and increases loading time, even more so if you're doing full courtroom since you have to configure it. Create the assets if we must (and I actually do). But if there's an equivalent of #greyfilter that can be done on AAO, why not use it?
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Hate to bump an old thread, but according to that link Unas posted, those effects are now supported in Firefox as far as I can tell. Will we being seeing this implemented soon, or am I misunderstanding that website?

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Not yet. It's fully supported in the dev builds of FF. Current build is still only partial support.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Indeed, it looks like Firefox devs have implemented the functionality at last. Thanks for the notice !
It will be a few months before it makes it to the main Firefox release branch and people start widely using this version. When done, I'll test it and consider adding the feature if it works good ;-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

From how I understand the link, this appears to have happened at last. :-D
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

Indeed, I just made a quick test and it's working perfectly. It will definitely be possible to add it to the editor !
ImageImageImage
GanonZD

Post by GanonZD »

Then hurry up and do it. I assume it's a very minor change that is required. ;-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
TheReaper
Spoken languages: English, French

[E]Filters

Post by TheReaper »

Im 100% sure this has been requested before, but what if the game had filters, like black and white, or old timey filter, kind of like a lot of the flashbacks in the main series! Again I'm sure this has already been requested, maybe even refused or accepted, who knows? For all I know its been added and my noobness prevents me from seeing it, anyway... its just a suggestion so that if people want to make flashbacks they don't have to use custom sprites and backgrounds.
Reverie

Re: [E]Filters

Post by Reverie »

TheReaper wrote:I'm sure this has already been requested
Yes and yes. The first link has a couple of alternate methods you could use until the feature is added.
TheReaper
Spoken languages: English, French

Post by TheReaper »

Thanks a lot! Should this post be deleted then?
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Nah, it's not like it's a big deal or anything.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."