The Great Detective Knows - UNM OOC THREAD [R1]

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Re: The Great Detective Knows - Under New Management [SIGN U

Post by enigma »

Actually, I want to sign up as Rena Ryuugu from Higurashi citing detective class B and technically maybe class A.
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Singidava is playing as Sakon Tachibana from Karakurizoushi Ayatsuri Sakon.

TwiGav is playing as Inspector Blore from And Then There Were None.

Bad Player is playing as Sumio Mondo from Flower, Sun, and Rain.

Enigma, I wish to confer with Topaz prior to the acceptance of your selection.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
enigma

Post by enigma »

Well, just keep in mind:

In Cotton Drifting, Rena is clearly the detective. We can see this because of how she works out the whodunnit and howdunnit. She does this from the clues of the ad and the state of Rika's dinner. In this example she clearly fits class A.

In the Atonement arc, Rena is clearly the protagonist and the story is told from her point of view. In it she attempts to solve the mystery of Hinamizawa. Hence, we can conclude that she is a clear protagonist in a mystery game. Naturally, she fits class B.

I'm interested in, if you do deny her, what kind of logic and reasoning you'll come up with to dismiss my points, of course. But I expect them to be fair if you do so, as I have just demonstrated that Rena is indeed a suitable candidate for the game.
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

You might want to add the currently accepted detectives to the opening post.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Real Name (2024), A Silly Little Dream (hopefully late 2024 or very early 2025), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully late 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

@enigma: I may not be a GM, but I can sorta explain this. Using the categories defined here, I can write Ange as being a detective. When it's pretty clear she actually isn't one. xP

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
enigma

Post by enigma »

Doesn't mean I won't fight tooth and nail to play as Rena.

However, in the case that I can't, I'd like to reserve Keiichi. However, I won't go down on this issue without a fight.
NihilisticNinja

enigma wrote:Well, just keep in mind:

In Cotton Drifting, Rena is clearly the detective. We can see this because of how she works out the whodunnit and howdunnit. She does this from the clues of the ad and the state of Rika's dinner. In this example she clearly fits class A.

In the Atonement arc, Rena is clearly the protagonist and the story is told from her point of view. In it she attempts to solve the mystery of Hinamizawa. Hence, we can conclude that she is a clear protagonist in a mystery game. Naturally, she fits class B.

I'm interested in, if you do deny her, what kind of logic and reasoning you'll come up with to dismiss my points, of course. But I expect them to be fair if you do so, as I have just demonstrated that Rena is indeed a suitable candidate for the game.
I can explain my main concern with one simple fact: you're placing Cotton Drifting and Atonement as separate individual stories. They aren't. They are part of the Higurashi no naku koro ni visual novel. In that visual novel, I would say that you could argue that the protagonist is either Keiichi or Rika. Rika is the safe bet. In fact, if anybody is the detective in Higurashi, it is again Rika, given how she solves the mystery. Thus I would not classify Rena as the protagonist.

It is true that the story is told from Rena's POV in Atoning, but (to be rather topical) by the logic you're using, I could declare almost every single character in "And Then They Were None" to fulfill Class B. The story is, at times, both told by their point of view, and they attempt to work out the mystery. And I feel that that is a step towards rending Class B meaningless, presuming a certain writing style. In addition, my main concern with declaring Rena the "detective" in Cotten Drifting is that, in the end, the answer is more given to her than her directly solving it. Thus the answer is more or less handed to her, rather than her being able to solve the crime as as a result of her logical deductions.

If you can answer these problems I have no problem with accepting that request.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
enigma

Post by enigma »

I can easily answer this. First of all, you are looking at Higurashi as one single novel. It is clearly not. It is a series of novels, hence you should be able to argue from the perspective of the singular novels in the series. This goes further into your argument about class B, while the story is told through multiple perspectives throughout it, it is all contained within the same novel. Higurashi is a series of novels, by your logic I could argue that Detective Inspector Battle (the clear protagonist in Towards Zero does not count as the protagonist detective of that book since it is technically part of the Poirot series. No, it doesn't make sense to treat it as a singular novel. They are each individual novels, and thus, should be given seperate consideration of who is classified as a detective per novel. Also, it is not the fact that Rena's POV is used in Atonement, it is the fact that she is clearly the protagonist as the whole story revolves around her. Whereas in AttWN, the protagonist is never really clear.

You are assuming that the series comprises a single novel, when in fact it takes place through a series of different novels which all link to form a single work. Hence, as a single novel within the series, you can consider the novel and Rena's role in it seperately. Ergo, Rena fits in Class A and B.That about sums up my rebuttal.
NihilisticNinja

EDIT: I had a lengthy response here but after some thought, I don't want this debate to keep going on ad infinitum. So, I've come to the decision to simply reject Rena, on the grounds that I simply do not believe that philosophy-wise I am going to be convinced that allowing her would set a good precedent.
enigma

Post by enigma »

Fine, I'm taking Rika then.
NihilisticNinja

enigma is playing as Rika Furude from Higurashi no naku koro ni.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Quick! Time for someone to be Furudo Erika for maximum name confusion!

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Yu Narukami should count as one, right?
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
enigma

Post by enigma »

I'd say so since P4 is arguably a mystery game and he is clearly the protagonist.
NihilisticNinja

I concur with enigma.

SwagmaWampyr is playing as Yu Narukami from Persona 4