The Year of Luigi

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Re: The Year of Luigi

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Turnabout Nothingness
by risefromtheashes
Spoiler : Screenshot :
It's your best friend, Luigi. Why don't you say hi to him?
Spoiler : Synopsis :
Luigi.
Spoiler : Review :
Story/Characters: There is only Luigi in this. What is he thinking about? That's up to you to think about as you stare into his handsome eyes. Is it love? Are you scared of Luigi? Really the only thing limiting you is your own imagination here, so basically the story is as bad or as good as you want. However, Luigi is always great, so the characterization is simply on-point. It's just up to you to decide whether this is a story about you embracing Luigi or being too scared. Why are you scared? Being scared of Luigi means you are scared of yourself. Confront your own fears and accept the Luigi inside your soul. I know you can do it. I believe in you.

Presentation: There are two core components here. Luigi, and a song that sounds very ominous. Art is sometimes about destroying the author's vision, so I invite the player to actually hit the mute button. The music makes you think that you should fear Luigi, but music and sound can be deceptive. When you look at him in silence without the whispers of deceit in your ears telling you this is an enemy, you only see your best oomfie Luigi. Why would you ever be scared of him? Perhaps he too hears the music and is scared as he looks at you. I'm sure both of you can overcome your fear, together, and become best friends.

Gameplay: Freedom of choice was always a lie. You are simply staring at Luigi. Why would you want to do anything else anyway? This is a peak character design and anything aside from observing Luigi would get in the way of that, so the lack of gameplay works extremely well.

Theme Relevance: Luigi.

Overall: A perfect piece of arthouse cinema that gets widely acclaimed, forcing me to delete all my work on my ceremony so far because what is the point. However, I then remember that this was submitted not following the competition rules and that the creator is a beta-tester for one of the other entries, therefore disqualifying it, and then I get back to working on the ceremony with all my effort saved. 10/10, needs more Luigi.
Spoiler : Photograph Real Genuine Authentic :
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Real Name (2024), A Silly Little Dream (hopefully late 2024 or very early 2025), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully late 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
TimeAxis
Spoken languages: English

Post by TimeAxis »

GuardianDreamer wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:21 pm
Turnabout Nothingness
by risefromtheashes
Luigi.
Story/Characters: There is only Luigi in this. What is he thinking about? That's up to you to think about as you stare into his handsome eyes. Is it love? Are you scared of Luigi? Really the only thing limiting you is your own imagination here, so basically the story is as bad or as good as you want. However, Luigi is always great, so the characterization is simply on-point. It's just up to you to decide whether this is a story about you embracing Luigi or being too scared. Why are you scared? Being scared of Luigi means you are scared of yourself. Confront your own fears and accept the Luigi inside your soul. I know you can do it. I believe in you.

Presentation: There are two core components here. Luigi, and a song that sounds very ominous. Art is sometimes about destroying the author's vision, so I invite the player to actually hit the mute button. The music makes you think that you should fear Luigi, but music and sound can be deceptive. When you look at him in silence without the whispers of deceit in your ears telling you this is an enemy, you only see your best oomfie Luigi. Why would you ever be scared of him? Perhaps he too hears the music and is scared as he looks at you. I'm sure both of you can overcome your fear, together, and become best friends.

Gameplay: Freedom of choice was always a lie. You are simply staring at Luigi. Why would you want to do anything else anyway? This is a peak character design and anything aside from observing Luigi would get in the way of that, so the lack of gameplay works extremely well.

Overall: A perfect piece of arthouse cinema that gets widely acclaimed, forcing me to delete all my work on my ceremony so far because what is the point. However, I then remember that this was submitted not following the competition rules and that the creator is a beta-tester for one of the other entries, therefore disqualifying it, and then I get back to working on the ceremony with all my effort saved. 10/10, needs more Luigi.
Spoiler : :
luigi
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

Turnabout Nothingness
by risefromtheashes
Luigi.

(Sunny, they/any)
GD I love you so much please never change /gen
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
DeathByAutoscroll

Post by DeathByAutoscroll »

Turnabout Nothingness
by risefromtheashes
Luigi.

Now this... this is peak kino
Thrower of bricks.

Co-host of the Into the Takumi-verse case compeition.

Stuff I've made in 2 weeks:
The Impossible Turnabout
Erinaceinae Griminance

Cases I have collabed on:
Don't Resort to a Turnabout (W.I.P)
Trucy's Magical Catastrophe
That time I got reincarnated as a fictional Defence Lawyer in An Ace Attorney fangame and had to defend myself against incredibly unfair odds.

Stuff I've made by myself that is good:
...maybe in the future.
GuardianDreamer

Hello, just a quick status update to everyone.

Progress on the ceremony is going well, with my goal still being a Sunday release. I think this is very much possible unless I get called in to work on the weekend, which hopefully shouldn't happen. If the ceremony does get delayed, I don't think it'll be more than by a day or two.

In the meanwhile to keep you Luigi fans fed, have an out of context award icon.
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Real Name (2024), A Silly Little Dream (hopefully late 2024 or very early 2025), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully late 2025)
Make My Life Worse
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
risefromtheashes

GuardianDreamer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:24 am Hello, just a quick status update to everyone.

Progress on the ceremony is going well, with my goal still being a Sunday release. I think this is very much possible unless I get called in to work on the weekend, which hopefully shouldn't happen. If the ceremony does get delayed, I don't think it'll be more than by a day or two.

In the meanwhile to keep you Luigi fans fed, have an out of context award icon.
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio.
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

All the best GD!
As we enter this Year of Shadow, I am excited that the YoL celebrations will kick on!
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
GuardianDreamer

Case Awards Sorted By Entry
Spoiler : The Turnabout that Shouldn't Exist by Spongesonic :
Image L is Real: For having the Super Mario Brothers and/or Luigi be a canon part of your entry.
Image Pretty Boy Detective Club: For having our favorite overall writing.
Image Favorite Portrayal of a Canon Character: For Phoenix Wright's portrayal here, because we really like Naruhodo.
Image Marth's Smile: The case with the scene that made me (GD specifically) smile and feel all warm inside the most.
Image Workers of the World: Representing the plight of the workers and truly celebrating the importance of Labor Day.
Image Dieman V. Evilheart Award: Goes to ELEPHANT LUIGI, our favorite opposing counsel.
Spoiler : Turnabout in the Spotlight by DJ :
Image Closed Book: For successfully finishing your story by the deadline.
Image L is Real: For having the Super Mario Brothers and/or Luigi be a canon part of your entry.
Image Cleanest Presentation: Fewest overall presentation errors and being really polished/smooth to play.
Image If We Only Had More Crime Here: Having a particularly interesting crime that was both fair to solve and that GD was able to follow along with well.
ImageIf You Want Pride... I Have It: For works with canonical LGBTQ+ content, because GD likes that.
Spoiler : The Turnabout Problem by CodingAnt :
Image Clown Nerd: For being the funniest clown nerd in town.
Image Actually Hurt GD In Real Life: For causing the judge physical pain for some reason.
ImageIf You Want Pride... I Have It: For works with canonical LGBTQ+ content, because GD likes that.
Image Best Absurd Logic: For the case that gets up to the most monkey business while still managing to have a crime that makes sense to solve, somehow.
Spoiler : Fixing A Broken Turnabout by XavierWright :
Image If We Only Had More Crime Here: Having a particularly interesting crime that was both fair to solve and that GD was able to follow along with well.
Image Prologue Power: Just like Kuuga, you really know how to set things up with a mysterious prologue that leaves the viewer wanting.
Image Brother, My Brother: For having a fateful clash between two people who genuinely like each other a lot, and still maintaining tension.
Image New Mystery of the Emblem: For making the old into the new.
Spoiler : The Imposter's Turnabout by TimeAxis and Bannedfrom7 :
Image Hooked: Having the strongest narrative hook/premise.
Image Boogiepop Vibes: Awarded for capturing a specific vibe well and maintaining it throughout the entry.
Image What If?: Not quite Takumi-verse, but we still enjoy a good AU here.
Image 2-1 Best: For speaking the truth and representing literally the greatest AA case.
Spoiler : A Futile Turnabout by MasqueradeDemure :
Image Guy Fieri Award: For surprising us by cooking up the most unexpected entry.
Image Canon Vibes: For capturing the mood of canonical AA, particularly Investigations 2.
Image Luigi Squad: For having a case that wasn't content with just one Luigi and instead having several and doing it well.
Spoiler : Gloomy Detective and Devil Girl by Spoonmaster12 :
Image Favorite Protagonists: Awarded to both Lyrae and Haruta.
Image Favorite Victim: Awarded to Matsuda for being the victim that made us feel the most things.
Image Hatsune Miku: Favorite overall mixtape of selected songs.
Spoiler : Anima De Machina by that1stickman :
Image Most Unique Luigi: For having the most creative take on the theme.
Image We Love Mario: For having our favorite Mario figure. Remember, Luigi loves his brother Mario.
Image Metal Gear Solid 2: Having the judge's favorite twist.
Image Zemuria Award: The judge's favorite overall setting I want to learn more about.
Spoiler : Prayers a Thousand-fold by Puppy Dance 9 :
Image Artfully Crafted: Having the most unique and breath-taking presentation.
Image Est Award: For making your first ever case you've shown off (that the judge is aware of). Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff in the future!
Image Minimalistic Sound: Managing to have an impressive sound direction using mostly just sound effects, with hardly any BGM.
Spoiler : The Third Wheel by skyem :
Image Jagen Award: For granting respect to the mentor figures of fiction and having our favorite overall.
Image Touhou Deathbomb: As long as the bullet is even one pixel off from your hitbox, you're in the clear. For submitting at the last possible moment and dodging doom.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler : Second Place :
Image The Turnabout that Shouldn't Exist by Spongesonic.
Spoiler : First Place :
Image Gloomy Detective and Devil Girl by Spoonmaster12.
Spoiler : Credits :
Written by GuardianDreamer (any/all). Special thanks to Nintendo for coming up with the Year of Luigi. Don't sue me. I have no money. I am making zero dollars from this.
Fire Emblem and Kaga Saga icons are basically all sourced from SerenesForest.
Award image sources: Super Mario Wonder, Moomins, SpongeBob Squarepants, Mario Kart Wii, Touhou 6, Mario Rabbids, Mario and Luigi Dream Team, that one really cute MGS2 Raiden Nendoroid that I can't find anywhere for a good price. The MS Paint drawings are all by me, usually in reference to some other piece of media.
Dieman V. Evilheart award icon by Ceres, as part of the Lucian Devlin spriteset.
"What If" award icon by Aer, from the Maya Fey prosecution custom sprites.
Flashback background taken from the 300+ backgrounds pack.

Lynette Vio's sprites by Hess.
Cecil Rozen's sprites by SuperAj3, originally made for Colton Owen: Ace Attorney.
Ember Cinder sprites by DragonTrainer.
Trucy Wright custom defense sprites by Hess.
Delicia Scones sprites from the AA wikia, resized/edited by Masq for A Futile Turnabout.
Satsuki Ichihara's sprites are by SuperAj3.
Brett Fusher sprite edits by that1stickman, based on some Investigations sprites.
Gartze's sprites by Puppy Dance 9.

Music sources: Front Mission 1st, Aokana, Final Fantasy VI (Ember's section), Ghost Trick (Edgeworth's section), Famicom Detective Club (Satsuki's section). Everything else should be in-editor stuff.
Credits song is Faded Colors from Jack Jeanne.
Tidus laugh sound effect from Final Fantasy X, of course.

Special thanks to everyone who made Make My Life Worse, a previous work of mine, possible in the first place.

Thank you to all the contestants and everyone who's credited with helping with their entries. It's been a joy. Happy Year of Luigi.

Thanks for making.
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here
CodingAnt
Spoken languages: Just English, sadly.

Post by CodingAnt »

Congrats to the winner!!!
even though i didnt get gameplay & gimmicks, i'm still happy, cause i got clown nerd award instead :)
ImageImage
DeathByAutoscroll

Post by DeathByAutoscroll »

Congrats to the winner! Loved the chill vibes of the ceremony compared to previous ones.
Thrower of bricks.

Co-host of the Into the Takumi-verse case compeition.

Stuff I've made in 2 weeks:
The Impossible Turnabout
Erinaceinae Griminance

Cases I have collabed on:
Don't Resort to a Turnabout (W.I.P)
Trucy's Magical Catastrophe
That time I got reincarnated as a fictional Defence Lawyer in An Ace Attorney fangame and had to defend myself against incredibly unfair odds.

Stuff I've made by myself that is good:
...maybe in the future.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Really fun ceremony. Congrats to the winner!
Spoiler : Winner :
Honestly I'd say Spoon really deserved the win here just because that entry really tugged at my heartstrings. I'm perfectly fine losing to that one :3
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
eerew

Post by eerew »

Congratulations Spoon! Can't wait to see what tasty comp theme you cook up :3 (or pass onto someone else idk)
ImageImage
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Legacy K.O.B since 2023

Proud friend of TWO ONE he/theys

Real Women
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Fun ceremony! Congrats to the winner!
Yeah, I knew that when I played Spoon's entry that I was screwed and it was a well deserved win for them.
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

Congratulations to the winner.
Haven't touched the entry or even really looked very hard at what it was about yet, but I'll have to get around to that at some point.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
risefromtheashes

Congrats to the winner! We look forward to our inevitable partnership with you in hosting the next case competition. ;)
Spoiler : for real though :
GDDG really deserved it, it was a great story and it made us feel a ton of things. Good job Spoon!
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:

----------